1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Have you heard about Waist-Hip ratio?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by jyoti, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jyoti

jyoti New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I recently came across an article about Waist-Hip ratio in a health magazine that I started to read when I was waiting at my Doctor's office. It was new to me and found it interesting and made a copy of it. Thought of sharing it with you all...

Waist-to-Hip ratio (WHR) looks at the proportion of fat stored on your body around your waist and hip. It is a simple but useful measure of fat distribution. Most people store their body fat in two distinct ways: around their waist/stomach (apple shape) and around their hips (pear shape).

Waist-Hip Ratio and Health Risk

Having an apple shape (carrying extra weight around the waist) is riskier for your health than having a pear shape (carrying extra weight around your hips or thighs). This is because body shape and health risk are linked. If you have more weight around your waist you have a greater risk of lifestyle related diseases such as heart disease and diabetes than those with weight around their hips.

How to Calculate Waist-Hip Ratio

Waist Hip Ratio is calculated by dividing your waist measurement by your hip measurement.

Best Waist-Hip Ratio for Men and Women
    • Ideally, women should have a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.8 or less.
    • Ideally, men should have a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.95 or less.
    Take care to maintain your Waist-Hip ratio for a healthy living!

1 person likes this.

2. Hemlata

Hemlata New IL'ite

Hi Jyoti

Excellent information. I immediately calculated my waist-hip ratio. I have a waist- hip ratio of .8 but still feels I look very bulgy when I see myself in mirror. must reduce.....................

regards,
    HA

3. MadhuRao

MadhuRao Silver IL'ite

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>
    Excellent information. I immediately calculated my waist-hip ratio. I have a waist- hip ratio of .9 hence I look very bulgy when I see myself in mirror. must reduce.....................lotssssssssssssssss