Have you heard a Kookaburra laugh?!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Paulina, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Paulina ma'am

I should first salute you for having come up with an interesting piece of info! Me being a bio student i didnt know this much about kokkaburas before reading yours here. They more or less look like wood-peckers..dont they? Staying with their parents n not departing from their own nest to find a mate is something great to read! Long live their species!

Regards
    Meena

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Paulina,
    Thanks for bringing this article here...
    I had heard that song in a children's program called Barney and friends and i remember the line...'laugh kookkburra laugh' forgot the other lines..
    Thanks once again for providing the lyrics...
    Interesting info regarding their social ethics....

Aruna thanks to you too...for the lyrics....atleast I can imagine singing in those lines...

sriniketan

3. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Meena :hiya

Its great to hear from you.A warm welcome to the Pets Forum.Really happy to know that you found the info on the Kookaburra bird interesting.Isn't it lovely to know that they care so much for their families and look after their elders and nests with such dedication.Till I saw the pictures posted by our good friend Aruna I always imagined them to be huge in size .They are in fact so petite and demure.
    This species of the feathered kingdom teaches us good lessons about caring for senior citizens !

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

4. Paulina

Dear Srini,

Glad you found the Kookaburra interesting.
    I never knew that this bird was a real one always thought it was a figment of imagination neither did I know about the origin of this song which was popular during our school days.
    I have to thank my pet dog ROMEO for the research I did on the Kookaburra.
    Romeo has the habit of snatching spoons or ladles and running round our dining table .I have to chase him several times and then bribe him with a biscuit to retreive it from him.While I chase him I've this habit of singing the first few lines of the Kookaburra song and this makes him run even faster! One day hubby asked me about this strange bird song Kookaburra ...I said its just a rhyme made up by some one.He said ," There must be something more ,Why don't you find out from our omniscient friend Mr.GOOGLE ! "
    I did log on to Google and lo and behold a whole new world of the Kookaburra history unfolded before my eyes . I thought of sharing it here .So thats my part of the story.!!

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

5. mcgrobian

mcgrobian New IL'ite

Hello Paulina

I am from switzerland and i'd like to hear this song. Can you tell me where i can hear? Because i love Australia. Sorry my englisch is not so good.

Bye

6. Paulina

Hi mcgrobian,

A warm welcome here !
    It was a pleasant surprise to know that the post on the Kookaburra which was sent in here over a year ago ...June 2008 actually ...has been read by a new member !
    So you are from beautiful Switzerland .Many many years ago ., I had the good fortune to visit your country, Zurich, Geneva and Berne are the places I saw along with my parents as a child .
    BTW, your English knowledge is very good .Please do tell us about your interest in animals and post pictures of ypur Pets if you have any .
    Sending across the link to the song that has the lyrics and background score there .
    Listen and enjoy and read up on the origins of this popular school days song.

http://ALLdownunder.com/

http://www.alldownunder.com/oz<WBR>-u/songs/kookaburra-song-9.htm

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Paulina

Enjoyed reading about Kookaburra and Kookabura's laugh. I have notheard about this bird's name till now. So glad to learn something knew.

Dear Aruna

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing

love
    viji

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Wow wow , what royalties in the form of songs and pictures are exchanged between the two highnesses oblivious of the custom's keeping a vigil here at the Big Ben.

Polly , loved your wealth of information about Kooraburra.To be frank , I wasn't aware of the popularity of the song you have mentioned in the Girl's Guide circuit.I was too lazy to :crazy join any of those exalted ..well energetic groups, me lounging under the shade reading Mills & Boons.

Kookaburra the name itself sounds aboriginal to Australia.I am glad to have added more knowledge to this tiny brain with the informative snippets you keep posting.:thumbsup

The below profundity kept me pondering for a while

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  9. Paulina

My dear Sabby ,

Such a treat to read your FB!
    Actually I must confess I was a couch potato myself and preferred curling up with a book instead of out door activities .This song of the Kookaburra was taught to us in Western music class at school It is a very catchy tune and these days I sing it to my pooch Romeo as he runs around our dining table with me (All 70 kg's of ME !!) chasing him trying to retyrieve something he has taken from some place to bug me !
    The unique trait of one of the offspring staying back to look after the parents was so touching to read about....lucky ones !

10. einfopedia

einfopedia New IL'ite

what is Kookaburra?i don't see this bird before can you tell me that this bird also laugh.can you share the history of this bird.