Have you heard a Kookaburra laugh?!

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Paulina, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi ! all friends of the animal and bird kingdom ,

Has any one heard a Kookaburra laugh?
    During my schooldays we used to sing this merry tune...I'm sure many of us are familiar with this little ditty that goes like this --
    "Kookaburra sits on an old
    gum tree,
    Merry , merry king of the
    bush is he,
    Laugh Kookaburra,laugh
    Kookaburra,
    Gay your life must be."
    The song was composed by Marion Sinclair, a Girl Guide Leader in Australia in the year 1934 and this song introduced this strange bird to the world.
    For long,as a school girl I thought that the Kookaburra was a fictitious bird and belonged to the creators imaginary world. Years later I became enlightened !
    The Kookaburra really exists and is a native of Australia as much as a Kangaroo is .
    Many of our IL members now resident or having visited Australia would have seen and heard this exotic bird and will be able to tell us more.
    The Kookaburra that is indigenous to Australia belongs to the species of the kingfisher family and is roughly 46 cm long.The most famous characteristic is of course its full throated boisterous laughter.The Aboriginals of Australia named it Kookaburra hearing it sounding its call at each dawn and dusk.One kookaburra starts with a low chuckle and others soon join in to round out a cheerful but brief chorus !
    Its call or sound is very unlike any other bird species and remains unique and none so far has decoded the hilarious secret that is wrapped in its merry laughter
    According to a legend belonging to the Aboriginals, the spirits or the "sky people" called on the Kookaburra to awaken them each day so they could light the great fire that illuminates and warms the earth.The law of their clan forbade them to imitate the call for fear of offending the Kookaburra and plunging the world into darkness.
    It was Veronica Parry an American who studied scientifically the social habits of Australias most famous bird species and brought it out of obscurity.Many interesting facts came to light as she spent two years studying them at close quarters.
    The ritual laughing at dawn and dusk in which the entire family joins is the method used by them to mark and reaffirm territorial boundaries.
    Another finding was that unlike other birds, not all young Kookaburras depart the nest to set up their own home.One or more off spring stay with their parents (and forgo mating to have their own families ) to help with territorial defence as well as the care of their parents.In the Kookaburra social set up the term 'empty nest syndrome' obviously has no place ! No old age homes either !! The height of filial piety , one must agree!
    Since Kookaburras have a reasonably good life span of 20 years, they have a low death rate and do not all reproduce, this system helps keep their population in check.
    Australia's winters are mild so there is no need for these birds to migrate.Their social system is stable and sophisticated as they mate for a lifetime and occupy the same nest for 15 years! That definitely speaks volumes for their stable lives
    A hollow in an old gum tree is a favourite nesting place, but any shallow hole that is flat bottomed is an ideal nesting territory.In defending themselves, they fight aggresively rather than try to escape.They feed on small rodents or reptiles and insects.

The song of the Kookaburra was an instant success as it was carried back to other countries after the big Scout and Guide Jamboree in Australia in 1934.Today it is sung in over 100 countries wherever the Girl Guides meet .When it became a hit Marion Sinclair received hundreds of letters from children the world over and she declared "The success of the song is due to a miracle--the miracle of the Kookaburra".

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

1 person likes this.

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear L chechi,

Just as i was wondering now where are you?? I find you with Kukkubara. You transported me back to school time. Just as i am typing this message to you , i am singing that beautiful song which was a regular in school, especially for picnics.
    I am so happy to read all these info about Kukkubara. Let me try to find some pics too.
    I too thought them fictional but then knew they exist but didnt have this abundance of knowledge about them. The old gum tree wow all this sounds so fairy tale like isnt it.

Thankyou so much for bringing this here. I am so nostalgic Im definitely going to teach my daughter this song today!!

Love,
    Devikutty

3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rani Paulina Amma
    That was a great write up on Kookaburra...............I have seen them and they look really cute
    Here little more about them............I got it from the net

Kookaburras are carnivorous. They will eat lizards, snakes, insects, mice and raw meat. The most social birds will accept handouts from humans and will take raw or cooked meat (even if at high temperature) from on or near open-air barbecues left unattended. It is generally not advised to feed the birds too regularly as meat alone does not include calcium and other nutrients essential to the bird. Remainders of mince on the bird's beak can fester and cause problems for the bird.
    They are territorial, and often live with the partly grown chicks of the previous season. They often sing as a chorus to mark their territory.
    Kookaburras, when pulled from the nest and hand fed as chicks, can make quite affectionate pets. However their captive diet of mice and beef can be difficult for some people to maintain, their noise can irritate, and they require spacious cages or aviaries to fly about in. But when all the requirements are met they are truly a worthwhile companion pet bird.
    In the wild, kookaburras are known to eat babies of other birds and snakes, and insects and small reptiles. In zoos, they are usually fed food for birds of prey, and dead baby chicks
    And in each part of Australia these birds look a bit different

This one is from Mareeba tablelands............local wildwife

[​IMG]

This is the blue Kookaburra

[​IMG]

This is laughing Kookabarra

[​IMG]

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Queeny I knew youd come up with the pics. Was waiting for it. hehehehehe!!

Thankyou very much. Now it makes the singing even more exciting

5. Arunarc

Dear Lalitha
    I have not heard about this song but was nice to know from you let me try to find the song might get it on net.
    Here one more picture

[​IMG]

6. Arunarc

Hi Poetess
    I don't know the song ya...............hehehehe
    will try and find the song and here it.

7. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Greetings from your loyal and devoted subject to Her Royal Highness The Queen of the lively kingdom of Masti Magic !Big LaughBig Laugh

I knew your Majesty will definitely come to her subjects aid and post lovely pictures for all to view and enjoy.....for she is the most kind hearted and generous QUEEN that ever reigned !! BowBow

Habibi,

Thanks a zillion for the lovely pictures.They look so cuddly and adorable.I knew you would have seen them having been stationed in Australia and was waiting for your response to hear more info .
    I'll send you the words of the song from the site where you can listen to it too.Just sent it across to Devika.

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

8. Arunarc

O.M.G.Big LaughBig Laughsuch a long title will come back tomorrow to reply
    In a hurry will catch up again

9. aproop

aproop Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chechi,

You took me back to my school days. this was one of our favourite songs. in the noon before class we used to sing, crack jokes etc etc..

And Aruna thank you for the lovely pictures.

love,
    Anu

10. Arunarc

so so so Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for coming so late got busy in the other threads:hide:

You know you gave me this title and now everyone want to call me by that
    nameBig LaughBig Laugh
    And my dear Rani Amma do you need to thank me for this...........RantRantwhen you posted this thread i just remembered it and want to share it with you...........
    You know it is really nice to hear them laughing it sounds like small kids very funny, you will just mistake them for badies............hehehe

Thank you so much for the sweet sweet words of yoursBow:bowdown:bowdown