1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Have You Had Experience With Child Constipation?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by raisin, Apr 23, 2018.

1. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Beets work for my daughter. Carrots never did. Thank you so much.

She is constipated once or twice a month when she happens to something different from her regular diet and goes low on water or when the weather is too hot or cold. We can't predict.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

3. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Probiotics helped my child relieve constipation. We gave vsl#3 brand but there are others in market as well..

4. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Thank you. Agree. Gassy foods do cause indigestion and makes things worse. I should try boiling milk. But we use only 2%.

5. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Hey, was it suggested by the Paed? How bad was the constipation?

6. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

From your initial post it sounded chronic but your follow up post suggest it may not be that frequent. There are tons of high fiber options. Flax is a great way to increase fiber content. I would suggest you to maintain food log and see if you can find pattern for constipation including consumption of diary.

7. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for replying. It has happened many times over the last few months which bothers me. The doctor has made many diet suggestions but I find it impractical in day to day life with a 4 year old. They don't think it is a serious issue either. It just destroys my peace of mind.

I am looking for other mothers' experiences with similar situations and how they handled it.

8. Agniamber11

Agniamber11 Bronze IL'ite

Dry Figs are great laxative. Soak them in hot water till it softens. Then grind it with milk. Give this as milkshake. If possible give her papaya and bananas. Black raisins soaked water is very helpful.

9. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

I need to get figs. My daughter can't stand the feel of fruits in milkshakes and smoothies. So I need to strain before giving. That destroys the purpose.

10. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Didn't have experience

New England Journal of Medicine reported a study on kids with chronic constipation. When they eliminated cow's milk, constipation was gone.

NEJM Journal Watch: Summaries of and commentary on original medical and scientific articles from key medical journals

Chronic Constipation? Hold the Milk!
    Cornelius W. Van Niel, MD reviewing Irastorza I et al. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2010 May 4.

One third of children with chronic constipation improved after cow's milk was removed from their diet.

Cow's milk has been linked with chronic constipation in children, and an immune response to cow's-milk protein has been proposed as a possible mechanism. Investigators studied response to removal of cow's milk in 69 children (age range, 6 months to 14 years) with chronic constipation who were referred to a pediatric gastroenterology clinic in Spain. The trial involved four phases: Clinical factors and laboratory immunologic results were recorded for 1 week during phase I (run-in), cow's milk and cow's-milk formula were replaced with rice milk (for children >2 years) or hydrolyzed cow's-milk protein formula for 3 weeks during phase II, cow's milk was reintroduced for 3 weeks during phase III, and cow's milk was removed again for 3 weeks during phase IV. No other dietary changes were made.

Twenty-seven children (39%) were considered responders; their constipation resolved within 1 to 5 days during phase II (removal of cow's milk), relapsed within 2 to 5 days during phase III (reintroduction), and resolved again during phase IV (removal). Thirty-four children (49%) were considered nonresponders; they did not improve during phase II. The remaining eight children had slower resolution of constipation during phase II and did not relapse during phase III (reintroduction). Responders and nonresponders did not differ in constipation history or symptoms, physical exam findings, dairy or fiber intake, or immunologic lab results. The mean number of stools per week increased in responders from 2.9 to 7.7 and did not change in nonresponders (mean, 2.7 stools per week before and after removal).

raisin likes this.