1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Have You Had Experience With Child Constipation?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by raisin, Apr 23, 2018.

1. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Have you or your loved ones suffered from chronic constipation during childhood? I am aware of hydration and high fiber diet. But I am looking forward to hear about any experiences as to how you tackled child constipation.

2. chasingdreams

chasingdreams Bronze IL'ite

Prune juice or puree...works like a charm every time. i make sure there is enough fiber intake.for my kid,constipation might happen if there is not enough water consumption too...so i try to make her drink more water

3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

How small is your child? Have you figured out what is causing constipation? Could that be low fiber food, low intake of water, less physical activity, low intake of food/solids, some food sensitivity, medicines especially iron tonics or drops? Once you become a mom, you become an all rounder! Study your child's routine and try to figure out. Some general helpful tips are,
    1. Increase water intake through any means.
    2. Consume greens, bottlegourd, carrots, etc and reduce processed foods like biscuits, all purpose flour, corn flakes(constipates some) etc.
    3. Consume fibre and nutrient dense almonds, dates, prunes, raisins etc. Apart from nutrients they are rich in fibre and helps to bulk up stools.
    4. Caster oil application at anus and belly button at night helps to reduce body heat according to Ayurveda and the anal lubrication helps to move stools easily. As an sos you may consider suppositories also.
    5. Stress and mental blockage can also constipate. Relaxed atmosphere and activities ease constipation.

Hope this helps.

4. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Thank you. I do give prune juice. But it causes her gas and tummy pain when give consecutively. Water intake is a big issue. I do my level best.

5. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Have you talked to ped ? Sometimes chronic constipation needs more attention and medical care than traditional methods . How about cutting down some food like gluten and see if helps ?

6. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Can't agree more.

She is 4. She is very active and always running. Such a person needs lots of water. But it's very hard to get her to drink more than just sips on some days. Basically a poor eater, she hates vegetables and fruits except for apple and pears. I do make sure that she does eat some of this but we cannot enforce things which they don't like everyday. When you eat fiber, you need more water for that to pass. It's a challenge to get that balance everyday.

She is not constipated everyday. Sh has it when she eats certain foods (which we avoid mostly) and also when she has a cold. Yet, it bothers me since most children don't have this and it disrupts our routine.

I am in the US. Trying to get castor oil here. I will try the belly button thing too. Thank you.

7. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Yes, we did. A few of them. They said its an issue with hydration and the dry weather here. I will try the gluten free diet and see. Thank you.

8. miscellaneous

miscellaneous Silver IL'ite

smarty pants fiber gummies worked well for my constipated 4 year old.

9. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Doctor suggested it. Was going only on natural produces. Can you tell me more about your kid's experience?

10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Add grated carrots, beets(may constipate some), bottlegourd, onions, spinach, coriander leaves and so on into rice preparations, parathas, dosas etc. They add fibre and there is no need to consciously consume water with them. They nourish the child, she won't notice veggies as separate entities and since they are cooked you don't have to bother about their movement. Give water in the form of soups, juices and so on.

We had discussed similar issues in the following threads.
    Constipation Home Remedies

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018