Have You Encountered Racism?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, May 26, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

There is this lady in my Zumba class who must be in her late thirties.She is very friendly with the locals but with me she does not even make eye contact.I did not let it bother much but as days passed by it became more and more obvious.Even when I tried to say a “hi” or smile, she just brushed it off.her ignoring was so obvious.I live in one of the densely populated Indian areas and after so many years here, am encountering this.I don’t want to jump to conclusions but this has been Happening from day one for no reason.I honestly don’t feel she is superior nor am I from any angle and infact it made me laugh inwardly that so many educated people at this day and age can’t be civil to another human.Just venting..

Sunshine04, ratan and signature like this.

2. signature

signature Bronze IL'ite

This happens even in India with Indians based on color, language, richness, caste and so on.

CoolPie, sindmani and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi..actually we sometimes are immune if this happens between us Indians and we brush it off.However,if this happens otherwise it hurts.Sometimes wonder maybe I am in the wrong :)

However,between Indians or other nationalities this is wrong and one can atleast act civil with each other to maintain peace.

By the way,I see in your profile you are from India.Where in India?

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Also yeah another problem is status conscious.

5. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

Yes I have come across such situations where ppl wouldn't bother to talk or see even if we try to approach them for no reason.. Its too annoying when they do that.. my suggestion to deal with such people is to just ignore them since they are not at all worth our time to even think of them..

ratan, sindmani and anika987 like this.
  6. Zxcv

Zxcv Silver IL'ite

Oh many times!! Right from staying Airbnb’s to restaurants where the same waitress/waiter treats me differently and is much nicer to the “Americans” and you are right ..we tend to ignore back in India cz it’s considered normal there and the same behavior hurts us here because even we go out of the way to be friendly.
    But don’t let this get to you..if you Zumba colleague is xenophobic just ignore and have fun dancing! :)

Sunshine04, ratan and anika987 like this.
  7. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Ignore her before she ignores you.

ratan and anika987 like this.
  8. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

I agree with you. Let go them.

Star25 and anika987 like this.
  9. blooms4me

blooms4me Bronze IL'ite

If its just one lady i suggest you brush it off. Its not worth fighting. You just see her in a short period in your Zumba class, its not like she is going to affect your daily activities. So leave it. There are all different types of people n the world with different personalities, different outlook. We cant expect every one to be nice to us. At least be thankful you never experienced this till now. Not just other nationalities, even some people from our own country can be indifferent. so stay happy and positive

anika987 likes this.
  10. dj18

dj18 New IL'ite

Sorry you had to go through this. It’s not a fun experience. On the other hand, it makes us realize not to do the same thing to others, makes us a better human. Isn’t that what life is about? The more countries we visit, the more we step out of our comfort zone, we grow to accept the differences, and appreciate them rather than avoid or run away from it. Clearly, that woman doesn’t have that understanding.

The best response you can give is to show your true self. You don’t have to be accepted by this woman. Like you said, she’s not superior in any way. Be your friendly self with all other women in the class, show who you are. She will, at some point, realize not to judge a book by its cover. I get stereotyped every time- restaurants, shops, market, work, you name it. But I don’t stay quiet, put my head down and walk away. I strike up a conversation and 10 mins later people tell me how I’m jovial and “not like the other Indian they met”. The more we hide in our shells, the more we fall into the stereotype. You could be the 5th Indian they’ve met in their lives, and we’re all guilty of trying to bucketize people into a category, so why blame them. Let’s break the stereotype. Express your true self!

anika987 and friscomom like this.