1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Has This Happened With Anyone

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by bruised234, Aug 22, 2017.

1. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Offlate, I have noticed a sharp decline in my facial skin tone. All of a sudden I feel very old. My face looks dry, full of pores, my hair was greying, but the grey hair is only adding to the bad face tone. I look like I am 50 now if I see myself in the mirror. Why is this happening to me? My DH looks so young, and all of a sudden I feel so damn old. Is it due to dehydration? Or food? I am not able to eat food at proper times and my waistline is increasing, cholesterol is also increasing and my face is just not something I want to look at in the mirror anymore. I am on the wrong side of 30 and this is really worrying me considering that just one year back I was not looking this bad. It just happened in a span of 3 months - the day I started worrying about my future. Since past 6 months I have stopped doing the same, but I get very very sensitive when criticized, I cannot sleep well due to the same. As such things are not great on the home front, but this was not a problem before, now it is getting bothersome. I don't know what to do. HELP!!! Discussing this with hubby only makes it far worse because he thinks I overeat and I am good for nothing. No use talking to him as it will only highlight my insecurities and make me feel like trash.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Is it possible what you see in the mirror is just a perception of you in your mind , probably because of husband and his comments? You seem to be under a lot of stress, practice yoga and meditation. Focus on your self, you need to find peace in whatever situation you are in, if you cannot change it. Moisturize your skin well, get a good haircut and try to dress well. In short, if you feel good about yourself it does not matter what husband thinks. But all of this will be effective if you find inner happiness and peace. Talk to someone , even a professional and see how best you can help yourself . Its very important that you sleep well, so hopefully once you feel better about yourself sleep cycles will be better too.

You cannot continue feeling the way you do with whatever situation you are in, hopefully there is a solution that works best for you .

Sunburst and sindmani like this.
  3. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Please see if lifestyle changes are needed. See if you can regulate your eating hours. Are you eating healthy ? I would suggest going almost sugar free except may be very rarely if you must. If you are eating out a lot please reduce it drastically if you can't avoid it. Eat lots of freshly cooked vegetables and fresh fruits which are seasonal and locally grown. Starting the day with warm water to which juice of half a lemon is added helps in hydrating and cleansing. I add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to this along with a pinch of Himalayan pink rock salt. You can google health benefits of apple cider vinegar. Buy one with mother in it Please exercise and take walks in sunlight. Also have you checked your thyroid health? Please check for antibodies free t3 and t4 if you haven't. Please start with the lifestyle changes as soon as you can. I have experienced that what I eat affects my mental and emotional well being.
    Hope this helps. Wish you all the best. I'm sure this phase too will pass and you will turn out to be the winner in every way

sindmani, yellowmango and Sandycandy like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....first step,color your hair. That will make a drastic difference.
    Take care of your skin and hair.
    Moisturise your face ,neck and hands.
    Get a few clothes that fit well on your present body.

Eat healthy. If you don't find time to eat at regular times...keep fruits and dry fruits in your bag .Eat these instead of skipping meals.
    Drink enough water.

Do some kind of exercise .
    But most importantly ,get enough sleep.
    Worry ages people fast. Try to not worry too much if possible .
    Op....did something really worry you recently?
    I remember once I was travelling alone with kids and our train was cancelled midway . It was such a harrowing experience ,running around with kids ,luggage to catch the alternate train without proper reservation . It was a very harrowing 7-8 hrs.
    Once we were settled in,I happened to look at my face in the mirror in the compartment and I could not recognize my face. In those few hrs it looked like I had aged years. Thankfully it was temporary . Hope it is the same with you.

Best wishes op.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Sandycandy and sindmani like this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Are you under stress ? If so, that may be the culprit

You need to find ways to relax you like meditation, yoga, exercise, or anything that give you peace of mind or make you calm.

You need to focus on you now, if you really want to change. First sleep well (switch off all lights in bed room), have regular BM, drink water in the morning, eat lot of vegetables and fruits , try omega 3 foods as much as you can, reduce the use of oils and fried items/junk food, drink lots of water, bath everyday, apply moisturizer after bath, use sunscreen before you go out, try new hair cut, use dress that match, pamper yourself,visit beautician, try to laugh every day at least by watching some comedy shows.. etc... I am sure you are well aware of this.

But most important, make sure you dont have any vitamin D deficiency, anemic issues, Thryroid issues etc.. A blood check will give you a better idea. Consult doctor.

If you have any stressful situation, try to solve it. Or atleast try to maintain a peaceful mind by relaxation techniques or stop worry about things you cannot control. Dont punish yourself for any reasons or environment. Be confident. Healthy food & life style, peaceful and happy mind will do wonders..Take care..

6. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I too hope it is temporary. May be it is something that was there from a long time and I noticed it yesterday. I have some natural remedies to darken the hair, I just need to put my time. But more than the hair, it is the skin that bothers me. A change that is not too small to notice. I am hoping it is only dehydration and the recent stress in general and travel stress that is causing this.

7. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Actually my lifestyle was not so bad, now it has become totally chaotic. I am fed up of allegations that I am eating "too much". In reality, I have reduced my consumption. Ironically I looked happier and better and actually thinner when I was eating how much I wanted(minus the junk). I am trying to control my sugar intake but stress gets the better of me and I just consume a piece of some sweetmeat when I feel totally down. I don't know if it is the sugar rush or just a mental block, but it makes me feel better. Yes, I have to consume more water, reduce outside food, more important I have to be happy. But this aging makes me more worried and insecure. I actually looked like a dried up orange yesterday, I hated what I saw. It may not be earth shattering, but it made me unhappy.

Satlak likes this.
  8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

There are several things that can be done externally to give your skin a makeover . Toning, exfoliating , mud packs ,moisturizing , regular facials will improve your skin . Look at Korean skin care routines and see if it works for you . Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes .

However, I firmly believe that anything done externally will only suppress the problem temporarily. There is an underlying issues behind all that aging skin, cholesterol and overall unhappiness that you are experiencing. Try to find the root cause first and then work on the symptoms . You should work on your internal well being first then external . Is it stress , fatigue , over work, loneliness or something that could be bothering you ? You are still quite young to have cholesterol so try to get that under control . Maintain healthy lifestyle with good diet and try to incorporate some excercise in your daily life . Eat at regular intervals instead of prolonging hunger . That way you will not over eat and there won't be much craving to eat junk when hunger strikes . It's alright to eat sweets once in a while and you shouldn't deprive your body of anything . Eat everything but in moderation .

I have to agree with @Sandycandy on the meditation advise she gave . Meditation is known to increase the serotonin levels and just 10-15 minutes of mindful meditation will do wonders in your life . I have personally experienced increased clarity , peaceful mind , less mood swings and reduction in stress overall . I do it daily after the kids sleep and I am so relaxed and feel unexplained joy. You can find plenty of guided meditation on YouTube or just download the headspace app .

There is something called as Law of Attraction . What you think is what energies you attract . If you wake up thinking "I am sad", "I am ugly" ," I am useless" , you will manifest that energy in the universe and that is what you will attract . If you wake up thinking "I Rock " ," I am the best " , "it's going to be an awesome day " you will attract similar energies in your life . Your own thoughts and perceptions is you what you experience. Try this for a few days and see how you feel the rest of the day .

Heal from within first and see how that internal happiness will automatically manifest in your physical , mental and emotional well being.

Sandycandy likes this.
  9. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

You have figured out what is good for you and what is not. That's half the battle won. You will get your answers. All the best!

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

This happens to many women in their late 30s or 40s to some extend. Everyone has their own lowest points in life, and if that happens around this age, it shows!!!

It happened with me slightly after the birth of my second child.

There is no point of looking back. Since it has happened, you should act immediately.

Go to a parlor first.
    It is very important that you need a professional's help here.

1) Color your hair. If needed, cut it short or change your hair style.
    It is very important to change your hair style when you are in depressed mode.

2) Get a good facial done.
    At home, apply aloevera, curd, tomato, turmeric & honey to your face at least once a day.
    You can mix these ingredients together or use them as individual face packs. They nourishes your face, and reduce dryness.
    Change your face wash, and other cosmetics. Try out a new brand based on your present skin type.

3) Change your diet. At this point it is hard to focus on a full-length diet plan to lose weight. But just make sure you don't add anything more.
    Instead of sugar, you may try sugar free sweeteners or honey.
    As for munching, you may try dry roast chickpeas, pottu kadalai etc
    Eat a lot of fruits.
    Instead of eating 3 large meals, you may eat 5 or 6 small meals.
    Reduce the carb intake and replace it with more protein
    And more importantly drink a lot of water... water only, and not artificial soft drinks.

4) Go for simple exercise
    Go for walking. If you can't find specific time for jogging or walking, then you can walk to work, instead of using a car or bike.
    Walk in the terrace or climb in your stair cases
    Do this for at least 20 mins a day.

5) Listen to music. Even if you are not a music lover, download some nice songs in your mobile, and listen to them relaxedly. Perhaps before going to bed at night.
    It helps a lot to sooth your mind.

6) Even after all these life style changes, if you struggle to sleep peacefully, then you must see a doctor. Possibly a therapist for your depression. He can make you feel better in no time.

7) Also, it is good to check your medical status at this age. Check your cholesterol, sugar, BP, thyroid, and HB levels. Some health issues complicates everything. If there is any, it can be cured anyway.

kalcandu, bruised234 and sindmani like this.