Has anyone joined college to study again for a career change?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by JGVR, Apr 13, 2014.

1. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I was an IT professional and quit my job to take care of my kid.Now its almost 4 years since i quit and i'm in my early 30's.I was very much interested in the healthcare field right from my school days and right now i'm contemplating about a switch to healthcare job and thinking about joining a college to get a degree/certificate associated with acupuncture/acupressure or any such course which can be learnt in a short span of time..

of course there are downsides like i need to start all over once again and my husband need to spend for me. Still iam in a double mind whether i need to proceed with what iam passionate about or just proceed my life and join IT job again to support my family.

I need some inspirations from you guys.If you know of anyone who changed jobs or who studied again to follow their passion, please tell me about them and also your opinion so that i can decide whether to proceed or not.

Thanks.

2. Maayai

Maayai New IL'ite

Hi,

I have some personal experience. I was in the IT field in India. After wedding, I came to USA and now am pursuing grad school in a very different field. There are some reasons why I chose it
    I was bored with IT field
    I took place change as an opportunity for career change too
    I am in my late twenties, no kids yet.. so I thought I could risk something.
    My husband is very supportive of the career change.

The downside was:
    I have my own doubts always. I think that ll be there till I succeed well
    I was very flustered in the first few days at school
    I had to answer eveyone in this world as to why I do not not want to continue in IT.

My opinion, is that if u like it, and if there is very less risk associated with it, u can venture in it with measured optimism.

Hope that helps!

2 people like this.
  3. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your input Maayai and thats truely inspiring.

I spoke to a school here and they said i need to take up some prerequisite courses in community college and then apply for the undergrad degree.

Is that how you proceeded?Did you get any financial help?Could you please give me some more info.Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Maayai

Maayai New IL'ite

Hi JGVR,

I wrote GRE and got admitted here.. I got assistantships and funding... So I am somehow managing the finance part.
    Looks like you are in the correct path to ask the school about it because these processes vary widely between schools.. Do let me know if I can help you any other way..

All the best!
    Rock on :)