Has anyone has plans to settle in India during old age?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Sep 4, 2014.

1. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

The only reason that tips the scale to settle in India.... I don't want to be a burden to my son at my old age. Cannot, imagine living alone in abroad.

2 people like this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I hope in another 15 to 20 years,there will be good retirement homes in India.As,lot of people are aspiring to return to their home country,I am hoping something will and should be done for a smooth settle for us NRI's back there.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How about a 'Let's Fire Up your Neurons' home for the inquisitive elderly on a remote tropical island? Imagine the fun we'll have writing and solving puzzles, while sipping fresh coconut water and waxing nostalgic about our golden IL years! :biggrin2:

Seriously though, I don't foresee myself going back to India. I came here as a 21 year old. I've spent my entire adult life in this country. America has molded me into the person I am today. The India I knew and loved is frozen in my memory as a place from my teenage. The India I visit now has moved on. My family are the only thing that make me keep going back. But when I sit in the plane to return to the US, I always feel like I'm going back home.

3 people like this.
  4. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I can understand, I tell my mom the same thing I need to go home (my home here) when I spend more than a week in India.

Why speculate so much , why not try it, so infact I tried few years back to uproot, packed my clothes and took the flight. I attempted to stay for few months (working, travelling) to disarm my fears that I was adaptable. I cannot lie but there were days when I'd wake up and feel like whizzing my bags to the airport and catch the next flight. In a month things changed, life picked up in India where it halted. I returned after a year because my learning curve steeply declined, felt I was not working on projects that where nub of the cutting-edge business algorithms, most of the work in India was outsourced with the crux of the systems still in primary locations. Not to mention the disgruntle among colleagues, found that they were working for all the wrong reasons no one loved what they were doing, repressed artists, did not get medico seat, my dad wanted me to , my mom prayed for me to.

Having compared the working assets (atleast in my field), I decided to return. Working conditions in the West are better not only for the economical purse, flexible hours but warm feeling you get walking into the floor and greeted by enthusiastic co-workers who love what they are doing or they would not be here. I hope few years from now when automatons, drones take over the workforce I will happily waddle away for some sun and beach , sipping coco and sauteeing the wilted neurons reminiscing of my salad days when I'd have solved Gauri's puzzle in a day but now I'm staring at this picture for 3 months :confused2:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Recounting those days when I returned to India and hunted for accommodation. Responded to an advert beautiful 2 bed house , 24 hours water (water 24 hours?!) I did not read the ad further and turned up at the gate in less than an hour.

Beautiful house, a maid who was willing to work on domestic chores, airy , spacious , ah! what else can I ask for but a cemetery in the back yard.

The landlord slightly apprehensive, as you are single, I would discount the rent for you, look at this side beautiful greenery, and not many burials take place, may be once a month like he controlled the mortality rate in that area.

I jumped at the thought of having visiting ghosts for supper (place was rife with rumors that people were seeing pale spectres in the night). I took the place and for 6 months I tell you , tranquility is what I experienced. Ah I miss that gorgeous house for dead cheap price !

1 person likes this.
  6. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Today's incident has really made me think, if I would really want to continue living here when I grow old. Today I got a call from my neighbor, I did not pick the call as I was feeding my little fellow, after I finished feeding him I called her back and she was literally gasping, I ran to her apartment with my little fellow as I cannot leave him at home all alone. Poor girl has been having difficulty breathing and was not able to sit. I felt so bad that I did not pick her immediately.I still do not drive here as I am in the learning process, I could not take her to ER, so called the emergency and she is in hospital now. Her kid is at school and her husband is on travel due to work.

I assured her I would take care of the child once she is back from school., she was crying so badly, I consoled her saying not to worry about the child and I would take care of her. I donot know, had this happened in India where she has her entire family would she be feeling this bad??

Yes US has all the luxuries, I mean when its an emergency you just have to call and the help is available in no time, but what about emotional support that a family provides ?? I donot know but this thought has been really bothering me from morning since this incident has happened.

2 people like this.
  7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

That was sad but hopefully your neighbor is doing ok.
    One good thing is ER comes for rescue immediately.I love the safety laws here.

Emotional support is actually overated :( sad but that is the truth these days.to each to his own.
    One thing is be in US or India,one has to practice the art of detachment.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    4 people like this.
  8. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

Yeah, my neighbor is feeling better now, though on medication and rest. Yes Kalpana you rightly said it is better to learn not to be too emotional attached.

1 person likes this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

America is my home now. A lot of my extended family also lives here, and we have built deep roots in our community. If we have a child and they live here, then I don't envision moving out of the country in retirement. As Gauri said, my memories of India are also of a bygone era.
    I cherish my visits to India, seeing all my relatives, going around new places and of course the awesome food. But I am also glad to come back to my life here.
    We don't work in IT, so our careers also keep us rooted here. Once we retire, we will probably spend extended periods of time in India and traveling in general.
    My uncle came to the US almost 50 years ago, and this is what they do now they are retired- spend months at a time in India, but come back to see their kids and grandchild here.

1 person likes this.