Has anyone bought a Prestige cast iron tawa ?? Currently facing problems with it.. :(

Discussion in 'Indians in UAE' started by Antu601, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Antu601

Antu601 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I recently bought a Prestige Cast Iron Skillet/Tawa (Flat Pancake Pan) which was included in an offer (it was given with a concave roti tawa)...

The problem:

Whenever I try to make dosas, the dosa batter sticks to the pan and is very difficult and frustrating to get it off.
    I have tried several methods, from buying readymade dosa batters from outside to trying my own home-made batters....but everything goes waste. The dosa batter (fermented), the effort, the gas, everything goes waste...:crazy I gave up and went for the readymade batter available in supermarkets...but in vain...even they got stuck...

I also went through their website (Prestige) but I never found the product on the website (i.e., the cast iron tawa)..

The photo on the box was so temptious and the offer also made me temptious buy the product :bonk It was a week before...and the whole week, I have been going through hardships...WitsendYou know how much effort and money is gone...:|

I tried the batter on the other non-stick tawa I had, and thankfully, the batter does not stick to the tawa....

Please suggest where am I going wrong ??

Right now, I am like this -->> :confused2::bang:help

After you answer, I will be like this -->> :whistle:bananaBow

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009

2. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Re: Has anyone bought a Prestige cast iron tawa ?? Currently facing problems with it.

HI,

i am thinking of buying one of PRESTIGE, my brother is in India so have ordered one but after reading your post i am thinking twice.

love
    alpa:cheers

3. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: Has anyone bought a Prestige cast iron tawa ?? Currently facing problems with it.

Any tawa other than non-stick has to be pre-seasoned.
    some method ladies follow
    1.apply oil generously,heat and splutter mustard
    2.do not scrub hard with soap and scrubber
    3.rinsing after each use is enough
    4.rub onion
    5.do not make chapathi in dosa tawa.keep two for each use.

search in this forum for more details.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

antu,

A cast iron tava has to be treated before it can be used without any mishaps. i think there was a discussion about tempering iron tava/kadai. just search for it.

i am a prestige product user (Read it as exhaustive), i have seen some anodised tavas, (that was shown to be in a chennai showroom to differentiate the quality when exported) but iron-??. maybe the offer was made by the shop to clear the cast iron tavas. sometimes there are products that come out and when there is a problem after that batch you don't see any more. i have a cooker from prestige which was not released after 2 batches.

alpa,
    so if your brother buys the authentic prestige product, then don't have any doubts.

5. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

thanks for the response, i am happy to read it, we have been prestige users and here we do not get prestige tava's so i had decided to get some more prestige stuff from india.

love
    alpa:cheers

6. jils

jils Bronze IL'ite

antu ,
    i too have same prestige cast iron tava , and it is non stick .
    i think yours too is non stick as i have seen the same offer .
    but i dont face any problem like this .

the first few times any tava might be sticky .
    for first few dosas i make i use oil generously ...
    keep the flame medium to low and let the dosa cook / fry well before you lift it .

also heat the tava slowly as it is cast iron ... and will retain heat for longer time

7. malathyj

malathyj Silver IL'ite

Hi

I too have this cast iron tawa from prestige and it is working fine. as you said the first one will stick.. but before you make the dosa, pour oil and rub on the tawa completely, allow it to heat slowly and then make one dosa without spreading.

turn it slowly and then from the second one onwards you can spread the dosas. it will come out very well.

8. prettyguns

prettyguns Silver IL'ite

Hi Antu

I have a Prestige Cast Iron Tawa too and it is a little bit different from the normal non stick tawas. With the normal ones, the dosas never stick, but in the Iron Tawa, the first few times, the dosas stick quite a bit. Some tricks to prevent it -

1.Rub oil with a cloth on the heated tawa before pouring batter for the first time.
    2. After removing one dosa and before pouring the next batter, sprinkle some water on the tawa and let it evaporate, then pour the batter
    3. Use an onion slice if the dosa sticks too much - rub the slice on the tawa and sprinkle water between batter pouring, the dosa does not stick but comes out crisp.

The best thing about the iron tawa is that the dosas come out much more crisper (don't know the reason why) compared to normal non stick tawas. Once you have mastered using an iron tawa, you would never want to shift back to the normal one.

All the best :thumbsup

Preethi

9. Antu601

Antu601 Senior IL'ite

:bowdown:bowdown
    Thanks ladies for the helpful hints that you have given, I appreciate you all so much :thankyou2::thankyou2:
    But I would like to tell you that I have been trying all this but.......:bonk
    Please dont get me wrong about prestige products , but this has happened with me for the very first time and I just wish that I make lovely crispy dosas on this very pan and may it go on long as i love to make dosas...
    I would be very happy if you can please pass me some more tips, i have tried all those mentioned by you wonderful ladies.:thumbsup:thankyou2:
    hey i will surely let you all know once my dosas come out crispy and more crisspier every time.
    Bring out all the tips if u can, and i am sure it will help every ILlite reading this part of mine.:idea:idea:idea

10. Anushka75

Anushka75 Senior IL'ite

Hi Antu....

I'm sailing in the same boat as you are.....i too have the prestige cast iron tawa- & i was totally frustated using it for dosas...i tried all the possible tricks given by all above but no luck..

Ultimately i use for chapatis & bought a nonstick tawa for dosas- which is wonderful....

All the best...

regards,
    Anushka