1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Harmonica With No Harmony

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear PS,

At a young age, to put an end to my tantrums, my grandpa, not financially well off, bought me the cheapest harmonica, not knowing how passionate I was about playing it. I was passionate about everything in fine arts, be it music, dance or drawing, but my family didn't have the wherewithal to support my interests. There are many like me who are unable to pursue their interests due to various reasons.The present day parents are eager to put their kids in the limelight and ready to spend any amount of money in enhancing the kids interests,be it karate,boxing,skating, music or dance.
    Very happy to learn about your grandchildren learning to play guitar and piano and are performing in bands. What a way to go! My blessings to the entire family!

Agatha83

2. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

Nice snippet and the harmonica tune in the beginning of the song is lovely

3. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Doree,

Welcome to IL community and my snippet. I am very happy to know that you loved the dominating harmonica tune in the prelude of the song.

Agatha83

Doree likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Agatha,

Harmonica used to be my favorite instrument as well and I used to play it when I was young. I also enjoyed making rhythmic sound in the table for my own tunes. But all of those skills were wasted without any encouragement or development. At least I learned how to sing Bhajans and enjoy singing them in our spiritual center now. I have not gone through any formal training for singing but learned by singing along with bhajans online.

I always enjoyed this old Tamil song and I believe the instrument played before the song is Harmonica even though many think it is flute.

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,

This dashing hero of Tamil films GG was a heart throb of millions of young girls a few decades back. This song has harmonica played throughout the song but at some places the flute dominates the sound of harmonica. But whenever PBS sings it is only the tabla which supports the singer. What a brilliant MD combo - MSV and Ramamurthy. There are scores of songs in Hindi films with harmonica playing a dominant role. I have seen professionals playing harmonica with a button on its side, which I came to know was one used for playing half notes. Professional playing of any musical instrument needs a lot of skill, patience, practice and a good teacher. Not everyone is a S. Balachander or Mandolin Srinivas- geniuses!

Agatha83

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha

Nice snippet. I second Rajeni. In our days we did not hav emuch opportunity like how the present generation have. My father had appointed a music teacher for me and my sister when we were in school but when we came to keertanam, he had to get married and he never came back after that So ourmusic lessons also stopped. We just learnt some songs ourselves which we could sing during Navratri. I enjoy music but dont know about ragams. In younger days Iwas not much interested in music but hearing the songs of today's generation feel sorry that why I did not learn. Enoy listening to music in Sun singer programme , also in Vijay TV.

7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji,

Our generation of girls was raised up only to get married, and one of the criteria to get married is to know singing. In our bio data sent for match fixing, knowing music added more value to our marketability. Nowadays Navaratri, we have Dandiya parties, where girls and boys dance the whole night to their hearts content. Yes, we can enjoy listening to music and watch dance shows, since we can't do either at this age!!

Agatha83

joylokhi and iyerviji like this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,
    Interesting snippet on harmonica.As my cousin was 23 years elder to me,I became a grandmother when I was very young

There is a lot of difference in the manner in which children are brought up earlier and now.There were many children, limited income and we could not afford to spend even Rs5 for the music teacher.
    Now there are lesser number of children, more money to allot, lot of importance is being given to extra curriculars.In US almost every girl child is sent to dance class, many learn piano and participate in programmes from childhood.My grandson aged 12 is learning both violin and vocal and is capable of singing varnams in all three kalams and progress is quite satisfactory.
    But there is a point to note.Parents in their anxiety give too much stress to children.The super singer competitions is a concrete example.While we are amazed at the really talented ones,many in the 2nd and third line are taxed beyond a limit and many kids become so much depressed when they are sent out of the wait list.Later they are unable to concentrate either in studies or in music.Over doing and setting up an unrealistic over rated expectation beyond the capacity of the child worry me a lot and will be more harmful to the child.Children who are not inclined to learn music or dance should not be coerced spoiling their mental health.

Though this aspect may not be directly connected with the subject under focus,I had to necessarily point out because it is absolutely necessary to mellow down the enthusiasm of the over anxious parents and rectify their wrong approach.

jayasala 42

joylokhi likes this.
  9. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Agatha,

I am sorry your dream of learning the instrument didn't work out for you!

I have been showing some videos of instrumental music to my son to see which one he is interested in. He has tremendous music sense and I hope to develop that further into something!

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Agatha83 likes this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

It is nice to watch a whole lot of children eagerly participating in many of the talent shows, but many of them are at an age where they cannot bring out the Bhava of the song. Too much pressure from the parents, at a young age causes a lot of phsychological stress on the kids and as you have rightly pointed out may impact their studies.

Be it dance,music or any fine arts it takes lots of time, practice and patience to achieve perfection. But nowadays parents want instant results which cannot be achieved overnight. It is the sustained interest you have in any field, be it arts, science or philosophy, that brings out the best in you. It is my constant interest in music, which has turned me in to a passionate fan of music of any genre! Thanks for your valuable FB.

Agatha83