Hariyana - Nirjala Akadshi

Discussion in 'Punjab & Haryana' started by aahna, Apr 4, 2009.

1. aahna

aahna New IL'ite

It falls in the month of Jaishth. The women keep fast and abstain from water.
    It is celebrated on Sawan Sudi - 3. It is celebrated to welcome 'Sawan' or the rainy season. After first showers of Sawan, a small red insect called Teej in Haryana comes out from earth's soil. Swings are set up in the open courtyards and Teej gets the first swing of the season. Girls apply henna on their hands and feet and are excused from household chores on this day. On Teej girls receive new clothes from their parents and the mother sends a baya or gift. Puja is performed in the morning. The baya which consists of a variety of foodstuff, is placed on a thali at the place of worship where a chowk (square) has been decorated, an idol or a picture of Parvati is installed. The evenings are set aside for singing and dancing.

Do you celebrate this festival?

2. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

I would like to add something more to your knowledge.

This is one of the most popular vows observed in the Hindu community. On the eleventh day of the every fortnight of every month this vow is observed. In this way in a year this vow is observed for 24 days.<small></small>Amongst these 24 days the vow observed on Jyeshtha Shukla Ekadashi is considered to be the most beneficial, if one properly observes a vow on this day it is said to give the fruits of 24 Ekadashi observed throughout the year. It is said that Bhimsen would listen that Vyas Muni would observe Ekadashi without partaking food through out the day and one day humbly said that Arjuna and all my brothers observe Ekadashi fast but is simply isn’t possible for me. That is why please direct me in such a way so that I observe a vow that gives me the benefit of 24 Ekadashi Vows.

3. chanchal088

chanchal088 Senior IL'ite

Menila is totally right about what she wrote but that is not the end. I think you don't know what happened after that.

After that Vyas Muni told Bhimsen to observe fast on Jyestha Shukla Ekadashi. By observing fast on Jyestha Shukla Ekadashi. By observing this your sins of eating on all priors, Ekadashi’s will be destroyed and absolved, and you will benefit from all the Ekadashi, which have passed in the year. Bhimsen very sincerely observe this fast, that is the reason why this Ekadashi is also named as Bhimsen Ekadashi.Because one has to abstain even from water from sunrise of Ekadashi to sunrise of Dwadash this known as Nirjali Ekadashi. Severe austerities have to be practised to accomplish this vow properly. During the month of Jyestha the day is longer and one after feels thirsty. As a result it is difficult to observe this vow without drinking water. This vow can only be fulfilled by meticulously observing this vow, there is a custom of donating gold and a water pot.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Yes, my friend who observes the fast told me that this Nirjala Ekadasi is one of the strictest fast in Hindu religion. Since this is a Nirjala fast, devotees are forbidden from taking even water during the fast. As in other fasts, food is not taken on this day. Observing the fast is equal to going on pilgrimage.
    According to legends, on their death, all those who have observed Nirjala Ekadashi in their lifetime are received by messengers from Vaikunta and not those sent by Yama, the god of death. However, all those who are ill and taking medicines as well as pregnant and breast feeding ladies should not undertake the fast because of its strict nature.:idea

5. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

Once Bhimasena, the younger brother of Maharaja Yudhisthira, asked the great sage Shrila Vyasa ji, the grandfather of the Pandavas, if it is possible to return to the spiritual world without having observed all the rules and regulations of the Ekadashi fasts.

Bhimasena then spoke as follows, "Oh greatly intelligent and learned grandfather, my brother Yudhisthira, my dear mother Kunti, and my beloved wife Draupadi, as well as Arjuna, Nakula and Sahadeva, fast completely on each Ekadashi and strictly follow all the rules, guidelines and regulative injunctions of that sacred day. Being very religious, they always tell me that I should also fast on that day too. But, Oh learned grandfather, I tell them that I cannot live without eating, because as the son of Vayudeva - Samanaprana, hunger is unbearable to me. I can give widely in charity and worship Lord Keshava properly with all manner of wonderful upacharas (items), but I cannot be asked to fast on Ekadashi. Please tell me how I can obtain the same merits result without fasting."

I want the ILadies to continue this story..

6. bappika007

bappika007 Senior IL'ite

Hearing these words, the grandsire of Bhima, Srila Vyasa ji said, "If you want to go to the heavenly planets and avoid the hell, you should indeed observe a fast on both the light and dark Ekadashi's."
    Bhima replied, "Oh great saintly intelligent grandfather, please listen to my plea. Oh greatest of munis, since I cannot live if I eat only once in a day, how can I possibly live if I fast completely? Within my stomach burns a special fire named Vrika, the fire of digestion. Agni the fire-god, descends from Lord Vishnu through BrahmA, from BrahmA to Angirasa, from Angirasa to Brihaspathi, and from Brihaspathi to Samyu, who was Agni'' father. He is the gatekeeper in charge of Nairritti, the south-eastern direction. He is one of the eight material elements, and Parikshit MahArAja, he is very expert at examining things. He examined Maharaja Shibi once by turning into a dove (for further information on this incident see Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's Srimad Bhagavatam commentary to 1:12:20. Purport.)

I think this is a nice game of continuing a good story...

7. chanchal088

chanchal088 Senior IL'ite

Agni is divided into three categories; Davagni, the fire in wood, JatharAgni, the fire in the digestion in the stomach, and Vadavagni, the fire that creates fog when hot and cold streams mix in for example the ocean. Another name for the fire of digestion is Vrika. It is this powerful fire that resided in Bhima's stomach.
    Only when I eat to my full satisfaction does the fire in my stomach become satisfied. Oh great sage, I might possibly be able to fast only once, so I beg that you tell me of an Ekadashi that is worthy of my fasting and that includes all other Ekadashi's. I shall faithfully observe that fast and hopefully still become eligible for liberation's release."

I like adding in this post.

8. jasmine1763

jasmine1763 Senior IL'ite

Shri Vyasa ji replied, Oh king, you have heard from me about the various kinds of occupational duties, such as elaborate Vedic ceremonies and pujas. In the Kali-yuga, however, no one will be able to observe all these occupational & functional duties properly. I shall therefore tell you how, at practically no expense, one can endure some small austerity and achieve the greatest benefit and resultant happiness. The essence of what is written in the Vedic literatures known as the Puranas is that one should not eat on either the dark or light fortnight Ekadashi's." As stated in Srimad Bhagavatam (Mahabhagavat Puran)) the Bhagavat Puran is itself the essence or cream of all Vedanta philosophy (sara-vedanta-saram), and the Srimad Bhagavatam's unequivocal message is that of full surrender to Lord Sri Krishna and the rendering of loving devotional service to Him. Observing Ekadashi strictly is a great aid in that process, and here Shrila Vyasa ji is simply stressing to Bhima the importance of the Ekadashi vrat. "One who fasts on Ekadashi's saved from going to the hell"

9. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

"One must certainly not eat anything, for if he does so he breaks his fast. This rigid fast is in effect from sunrise on the Ekadashi day to sunrise on the Dwadashi day. If a person endeavors to observe this great fast very strictly, he easily achieves the result of observing all twenty-four other Ekadashi fasts throughout the entire year.
    "On Dwadashi the devotee should bathe early in the morning. Then, according to the prescribed rules, guidelines and regulative injunctions, and of course depending on his ability, he should give some gold and water to worthy brAhmaNas. Finally, he should cheerfully honor prasadam with a brahmana.

10. Muktachabda

Muktachabda Senior IL'ite

"Oh Bhimasena, in the Kali-yuga, the age of quarrel and hypocrisy, when all the principles of the Vedas will have been destroyed or greatly minimized, and when there will be no proper charity or observance of the ancient Vedik principles and ceremonies, how will there be any means of purifying the self? But there is the opportunity to fast on Ekadashi and become free of all one's past sins.
    "Oh son of Vayu (air), what more can I say to you? You should not eat during the Ekadashi's that occur during the dark and light fortnights, and you should even give up drinking water (nir = no jalaa= water) on the particularly auspicious Ekadashi day of Jyeshtha-shukla Ekadashi. Oh Vrikodara (veracious eater), whoever fasts on this Ekadashi receives the merits of bathing in all the places of pilgrimage, giving all kinds of charities to worthy persons, and fasting on all the dark and light Ekadashi's throughout the year, in one go. Of this there is no doubt.