HAPPY PONGAL!! SANKRANTI!! LOHRI!! BIHU!! UTTARAYAN!! Share your 2016 celebrations...

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by periamma, Jan 12, 2016.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Re: HAPPY PONGAL!! SANKRANTI!! LOHRI!! BIHU!! UTTARAYAN!! Share your 2016 celebration

Nice to read about the diff traditions of Pongal celebrations Periamma. Nothing much to add on from me....

I used to visit my native for Pongal to celebrate with my grandmother & her cows, then later it was all city pongal & my mother would just do the stove pongal. Until few years back Chennai was still celebrating Bhogi big level, carefree of the pollutions. Although am happy this custom is gone now, I do miss the fun of burning junks on bhogi early in the morning & to see the city all smokey smokey later the day!

Happy Pongal Periamma! :)

4 people like this.
  2. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Re: HAPPY PONGAL!! SANKRANTI!! LOHRI!! BIHU!! UTTARAYAN!! Share your 2016 celebration

happy pongal @periamma. Thank you for the pics. It took me to the good old days we celebrated pongal at my grand parents house. I still couldnt forget the yummy pongal taste made in mud pot.

my mom cleans the entire house and we use to help her in emptying the dustbins accumulated with lot of old stuff. Nowadays this has become just another day or a holiday..

smile occupies my face whenever I think of the traditional pongal i clebrated during my childhood

2 people like this.
  3. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Hi durgadeviramesh beautiful kolam .cow and calf simply superp.wish you a Happy Pongal.

1 person likes this.
  4. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Hi VaniViyas Thanks for your wishes.Happy Pongal ma

5. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Hi Harini Thanks for the wishes and wish you the same.

6. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kaniths Thanks for the wishes.Happy Pongal ma

1 person likes this.
  7. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rith Thanks for the wishes and wish you a Happy Pongal

8. indumathi1985

indumathi1985 Bronze IL'ite

Anaivarukum Iniya pongal nal vazthukkal.
    Rgds,
    Indu

2 people like this.
  9. Jyo17

Jyo17 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

Wish you all a very Happy Pongal.

Thanks periamma for this thread, I indeed got to know a lot about the festival pongal. I didn't know about "Siruveetu pongal". It was good reading the way everyone had described.

I used to go to my grandmom's house for pongal and we all cousins would have a gala time.

This year, its my Thala pongal that too very far away from my home, its at US. Just me and my DH. Missing home, the big sugarcanes, etc

But I still do follow the tradition as my mom and MIL taught me :).

On bhogi - we take oil bath, wear new clothes and make a big rangoli in front of the house. We make Puran poli on bhogi. (I'm not sure why).

Then comes pongal.. We have a standardized menu for Pongal - Chakaraipongal in brass vessel, then the pulikootu with all vegetables( all kizhangus), and other normal course of food.

For Kannum pongal, I call it as tamilian raksha bandhan. We usually pray for our silblings specially brothers on that day.
    We make 4 kinds of rice balls - we mix rice with turmeric, rice with lime (chunnambu), just plain white rice and also take the previou day's chakarai pongal.

mostly at terrace or backyard or balcony, we lay the turmeric leaves and lit a lamp and place these balls in a row as pair. We say - "Like the crows and sparrows are together always, keep me and my sibling together and in good health always. "

The interesting part is brothers got to give us some gifts or cash :) :)

And we make mixed rice - pulihora,lemon rice, coconut rice and aviyal on kannum pongal.

This is all that I know about our tradition. There might b more though.

Thank you all,
    love,
    Jyo

6 people like this.
  10. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Hi Indu Thanks for your wishes and wish you the same