Handling outsourcing discussions

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by shalini, Feb 25, 2006.

1. shalini

shalini New IL'ite

As most of you know, I work for a consumer products company in the US. During discussions, my colleagues sometimes share information about how xyz company is firing 500 employees and moving their jobs to India. Being an Indian and being part of the group, it becomes a very embarrassing situation for me. I don't know what to say in that discussion. I feel bad that my countrymen have made many americans loose their jobs. I just stare as a deer in a headlight. Can anyone provide tips as to how I can handle those situations more tactfully?

-S

2. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Diplomacy is the key!

Hi Shalini,

Having worked in a call-center earlier and being accused time and again by American customers about jobs being snatched away from them by us Indians, I can relate to your situation well. My 2 cents (advice) on this would be to nod your head, agree with them and then point out the fact that India, China, Phillipines and for that matter any of those countries providing conducive climate for such opportunities are doing so just to boost their economies. It is thus in the hands of the American organizations to make arrangements for the employees they are about to fire before outsourcing their jobs elsewhere.

Here, you haven't totally disagreed with their opinions yet have proved that it is not our mistake if they are all fired and not taken care of. I remember my communications professor Mrs Parvathi Ammal's words, 'Don't say yes if you want to say no' but at the same 'Disagree without being disagreeable'!

Hope this was of help.

Love-
    Shalini

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite