1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Handling Dh Who Offers Screen Time For Everything

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ILUser07, May 17, 2018.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I have a toddler at home. My DH works from home while I leave home around 8.30A. DH gives his mobile to my boy to watch youtube while he freshens up and attends calls before dropping him at the baby sitter home. Some times it stretches till 11.30 in the morning and my kid will be watching continuously till then. Now a days, he is asking for mobile as soon as he reaches home back in the evening. Till a month back, I deleted youtube in all our mobile phones and no games. He doesnt even insist on turning on TV. But he is being addicted to it lately and his eyes looks so tired with all the screentime. I tried to convince my Dh but he gets defensive and says, he doesn't listen or sit calmly while he attends important calls. Am I over reacting? As the little one has the control on what to watch, he is sometimes landing on to some action videos and getting scared too. I observed he is throwing more tantrums and being more cranky. Not sure, it they are related or not.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Looks like your hubby has taken the easy route to handle your child or your child has figured out a way to handle your hubby to get what he wants.

You are not over reacting. N ya, they are related, I have also noticed kids behaving weird or cranky when they watch some contents that's not for kids.

This requires some disciplining to get it corrected. But for that you all have to work together as a team, say no to gadgets n make him understand that toys / books / scribbling on papers, etc are his options. He may cry pretty badly for a week, you put the toys or his stuff in front, n never show the gadget n never give into his cries. Slowly, he will change, you have to be patient n insistent.

Or you need to find alternative means, like changing baby sitter timing or find someone to come home or something like that.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    anitalovesyou and sindmani like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

U leave for work at 8.30 am. Husband needs to be on calls (sometimes?) until 11.30 am.One cannot actively manage a toddler while working. I can see why he resorts to using phone/Ipad .
    Is it possible for u to drop the baby when u head out or hire someone to drop the baby at the day care?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Mehana, viki123 and Gauri03 like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

It is difficult to handle a toddler when one is working from home or attending official calls or conference calls. Long screen time is also not advisable to a toddler.
    Both of you sit together and discuss. Either leave at baby sitter while you are leaving home or hire a baby sitter to engage and take care of him while dad is atwork...till he leaves home.
    Syamala
    Syamala

shravs3 likes this.
  5. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

An alternative of this could be give him some attractive battery toys that dance and sing and also there is a laptop for kids where they can enjoy playing while learning. That also work with battery. Also there is a channel named babytv if you have then it shows baby rhymes and all learning cartoons for small kids. You can set his timings for that. I too have the same problem so these alternatives works for me many times.

Archanaanchan and sindmani like this.
  6. anitalovesyou

anitalovesyou Silver IL'ite

This is a common problem nowadays. Kids are addicted to phones/iPads/laptops/tv ! You should think very seriously about his eyes, because the number of kids having eye problems is becoming more and more in today’s time. Hire a babysitter to watch over him during that time, or change his daycare timings. Eyes, jus think about his eyes !

7. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

We had the exact same problem when I was working and my DH was working from home. He said he simply wasn't able to cope with the kids at home and having to work as well (he works from home full time). I would suggest considering putting him in a daycare, most places open fairly early and you should be able to drop him before you go to work or maybe your husband can drop him? I think this option would work best for all three of you.