1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Half Saree Function In The Us

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Angela123, Oct 30, 2019.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Indeed it is :blush:

2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes she would be so happy :relaxed:

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I wouldn’t want to flaunt so much jewelry. What if someone comes and kidnaps the child? Overall the people who do it have changed the function to a fun gathering. Like a coming of age without the stigma. When my friends had theirs they had to sit on coconut palm leaves in the corner of the house on the day they attained menarche and everyone was called and the girls were so embarrassed. These days it’s done even for their boys as the dhothi function and everyone is happy. Nobody puts girls in a corner with palm leaves either. It’s good to see the modified version and enjoy with complete family and both sets of GPs present.

Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I was imagining how bad and lonely the child would feel those days without touching and playing with anyone.
    I have never heard of Dhoti function 5 years back not sure if it’s a recent trend.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don’t know when this started but I’ve attended one. It’s fun too. I was told it’s a recent addition for the boys.

shravs3 likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In many Telugu clans, (also Tamils, I believe), it is to announce to the extended family that there is a girl who is ready to given in a marriage. The boy's family is supposed to ask the girl's family for the liaison only after this menarche-function had been completed; in modern times, this function does not happen anywhere close to that event in a girl's life, but on a day that she prefers.... or most convenient to everyone in her whatsapp groups.

Some western cultures also do this. Quinceañera (15 year old girl) is more common in hispanic families in the Americas than in urban Spain. However, in the countryside, Portugal, Spain, and Italy all celebrate this. Only after this event, the girls are allowed to go to dances, and perhaps even on dates. In the old Elizabethan England this would called "coming out" party. I have been to a few of these for the children of hispanic Americans. These are like weddings, w/o a groom. And lots of potential grooms will also be in the church. Older ladies would tell the young boys not to drool on the lapels of their rented tuxes.

upload_2019-10-31_7-49-47.png

see youtube video of the above function:

Vaikuntha, Laks09 and shravs3 like this.
  7. abcd5

abcd5 Silver IL'ite

Sri Lankan Tamils also still doing this ceremony. This is called as puberty ceremony/age attain ceremony or Majal neeratu Vizha in Tamil.

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I was not aware of this.
    But am I the only one to feel that there are lots of similarities between India and Mexico including the food like Tortilla/ Roti, Salsas/Chutneys, Beans/Rajma etc

9. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Interesting indeed. Thank you all for providing more information on the half saree function. If our schedule has no conflict, we will go. They are still trying to find a venue (it is going to be a big party!!).

10. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Yes. There is similarities in inlaws fights as well:smash2:

shravs3 likes this.