1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Half Saree Function In The Us

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Angela123, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

I just got invited to a half saree function of my Telugu friend's daughter. What is it? I am not Telugu and never had/attended such ceremony growing up. I have a hard time explaining this to my daughter. This is an older kid not in my kid's age group, but they were very good friends until this family moved away a year ago. We have been attending birthdays and other casual visits. Unlike birthday, I have a feeling she will not get to play with her friend, so thinking of not going to this event. but do not want to be rude to my friend either. What is your take on these events?

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Please go to the function. You can just stay for 1 to 2 hours.

Amulet and Angela123 like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I went for a couple of half saree functions and one dhothi function. It was fun. I went, had fun with friends, it was all elaborately done with photo booth etc. Like a mini wedding without a significant other. I’ve never been in India so not sure of the religious significance but it was just a fun gathering with some rice putting on the head.
    Go enjoy the food and festivities.

sindmani, Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

So true :tongueclosed:

Sri2196 and Laks09 like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Long long ago when I had been to my aunt’s place she had taken me to half saree function. I was asking what does it mean? Mostly I was in 4th or 5th standard.
    I think she dint know how to respond so she said it’s birthday. So I asked her why is she wearing saree and why dint she cut cake for her birthday inspite of inviting so many people :sweatsmile::tearsofjoy:

So just in case if you take your kid be prepared for the answer :grinning:

You can attend and enjoy the event!

sindmani and Anusha2917 like this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Here is a video of Half saree function.

9. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

OMG !! it is like a wedding without other spouse.

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

LOL. One time my daughter needed or wanted to be mean to my son for some past prank of his. We were talking about a potential thread ceremony for him in India. He asked what it is. She without batting an eyelid tells him, "it is like an arranged marriage without the girl. you have to sit in front of hundreds of people with nothing covering you waist up." That was mostly untrue and more horrible than when he learnt about the tooth fairy and Santa.

Coming to the question, the ceremony in its old format had gone out of fashion among the "educated" urban or suburban elite. It used to be mostly women and girls invited along with close relatives of both genders. Then, it came back as the more elaborate half-saree ceremony, held in halls or banquet room of hotels and looking like mini wedding.

I have been to 3-4 in the U.S. and they are very well conducted. The star of the ceremony is so happy to be dressed up and the center of attention, enjoying the celebration with her friends, family, cousins and often uncles, aunts, grandparents around. I asked my friends a little about doesn't the girl feel embarrassed that everyone knows about such a personal milestone. I was told that the ceremony is now done at a time not associated with menarche. It is done in the girl's 11th or 13th year and at a time that is convenient to all who need to travel for the function.

It is a lot of fun, good food and music. Often, the kids and even adults dance to some songs. Once, the girl's sibling read an emotional letter to her about growing up together. It's nice. The older sibling standing there with a microphone, the entire hall silent, parents standing nearby, the girl sitting all by herself on the sofa meant to seat two at least : ) her legs dangling and she moving her feet back and forth, still very much a child. In the background, on the wall, there is a continuous presentation of photos of the girl and her family, friends from birth to the present.

Explaining to one's child about such a ceremony done by others: A Bal-vihar teacher among the guests once explained it well to the kids and adults at our table in the function. She said it is like the Quinceañera which is the Hispanic tradition of celebrating the 15th birthday of a girl. Children in India didn't celebrate each birthday like we do now. There were some other milestones that were celebrated.

Another ceremony that has become common now is the dhoti ceremony for boys, also called the panchalu ceremony. Here is a video from YouTube of a boy's dhoti ceremony. It is just so beautiful, set to a rendition of Shubam Karoti Kalyanam.

What to gift the girl: If not close to the family, Amazon gift card works best. Silver item or gold jewelry, makeup/cosmetics, etc. are too expensive to buy or will lie around unused.

Vaikuntha, Anusha2917, Amulet and 2 others like this.