1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

H4 Wife - Things to do?

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by shakila, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Hi People ,

I understand what each one goes thru when you have been so busy in India.. I am doctor and have had my own practce in India. Imagine from treating 20-30 patients everyday all you get to do now is cook and mop the house!!! Grrrrrr....
    I used to go for Baking classes when I was in India. The culinary skills helps u anywhr.. Try making some chocolates or cakes at home and treat ur neighbours first.. Gradually pass it to your husband's frens circle. If its a hit... Get paid in cash !!! Hush Hush !!!

1 person likes this.
  2. pushkala

pushkala New IL'ite

Make friends...reliable ones... try making newer recipies.. I have started indulging in bit of poojas and slokas too ..
    anything to keep the learner in you alive!!

3. prk_ca

prk_ca New IL'ite

Hi
    i came in Us this Dec and yes sitting at home and watching movies and surfing the internet ends in putting on extra pounds.After reading ur post even i was motivated to undergo a weight loss program.Can u plz give me some tips from ur weightloss program.

Preeti

4. prk_ca

prk_ca New IL'ite

Hi Shal
    Actually i forgot to mention to address my previous post to u as i was very much motivated by ur post.

Regards
    Preeti

5. wanna get busy

wanna get busy New IL'ite

Re: Sailing in the same boat!

hai all
    iam sandhya..another H4 victim(sorry for this word)i wish i wouldn't use it again
    i have been married six months back and came to the US.It is so difficult for me,i miss my family as well iam idle here.i really love to do volunteer job..Rohini i was really motivated by ur idea of volunteering for the temple...but not able to find the oppurtunities.we live in alpharetta,so if there are any H4 girls in the same location please suggest for volunteer work

kep in touch

6. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

Re: Sailing in the same boat!

Hi everyone...
    When I came to the US 2 yrs back,the first few months were really horrible where I didnt know what to do inside the four walls of my house.Since I was not used to browsing also,I didnt know about the numerous interesting sites (including this one!) on the web.
    My mom had given me the complete set of Sanjeev Kapoor cook books and everyday I used to try something new.But that was also not enough to get rid of the boredome.
    But now I have a 10 month old son who keeps me on my toes all day long and I couldnt be happier!
    I hardly get any spare time and when I do I spend it in some personal grooming etc....and my latest fad is weight loss.

7. AnjaliD

AnjaliD Senior IL'ite

Hello all,

I came to US almost 13 yrs back and ,believe me, I had much tougher time than most of you when I came new to this country. There was very limited internet and no Indian channels back then.

Anyway, I had some suggestions abt how to utilize your time here when you are on H-4. I can think of a lot of suggestions but I am going to limit myself to 10 :)

1) Volunteer ( lot of you have already suggested that before)

2) If you are interested in cooking - start a blog.

3) Help out your local Indian organization ( Marathi mandal, Tamil group, etc) Here every city has its own small Indian organization. (If anyone wants info abt Marathi Mandals in any city here in US, send me a PM :) )

4) Contact the local Indian stores or Temples for any local Indian activities.

5) If you have a kid - join the local community college classes, like -Mommy and me, etc.

6) Local colleges have some very interesting small courses. They are cheap and pretty good too.

7) Love reading - join the local book club. ( every city has at least one. Inquire at your local Lib)

8) If you have a elementary age kid - volunteer at his school.

9) Take this opportunity to learn a new instrument :)

10) Most importantly - do not think that you are wasting your time and life. Negative thoughts are not going to do any good to you. Stay positive. Find a activity that suits your personality and enjoy life :)

Hope this helps.

Anajli

Last edited: May 2, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  8. Kutty_80

Kutty_80 Senior IL'ite

hi,

i m also in same situation, but i have a kid.........so not much bore.....
    but i want to pass some time usefully ......

bye

9. Suhasini02

Suhasini02 New IL'ite

Hi,
    This thread is nice and definitely reflects the agony of sitting at home with nothing to do.
    I was working for three years in India before I quit my job to come to the U.S. with my husband.

Its good to know about the volunteer work one can do... and the other ideas that are put forth here. Definitely worth giving it a try.

Thanks.

10. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

Let me add the male version of WORK AROUNDS for you guys:)
    I personally work on H1B and my wife who is an Engineering Graduate in Computer Sc and Engineering, WAS H4 for the initial two years since she didnt get her H1B petition in the lottery, but she got EAD with my GC a couple of years back.
    This feed back was my experience with a H4 spouse while my wife was on H4.
    Since I work a longer times on my job, I want some one to help me rather then earning money with her job.
    I want my wife to take my routine tasks which she can do, few things like Shopping, bills pay, scheduling the Family activities etc, thats good to start with, this gives me to do my job smoothly
    If you H4 wife, can learn driving, have your own car, that helps your spouse a lot by doing many things yourself to help your family, I want my wife to take my baby to school etc, I want them to go to some fun places like Chuck-e-cheeses etc and have fun,
    I am totally annoyed when I need to go to some shopping or to do some scheudling etc after coming from office

Gurls.. please please, doing a WIFE/Mother job is not an easy thing, if you take it seriously.
    Dont feel that you are boared etc... There are a lot of things which you can do and makes your family like a heaven for every one.
    For a working souse, its also their responsibility to keep the things cool at home.
    So, H4 is not equal to WASTE, before being H4, you are women, the wonderful human in the world,
    Dont feel down by being H4

2 people like this.