H4 to F1 Visa Transfer

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by uma321, May 30, 2010.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ladies,
    I'm going to pursue my post-graduate within a month. Currently I'm in H4 visa. I need to transfer it into F1. However, my H4 is expiring by July. So, I need to extend it. The school with which I have got admission is giving I-20. I would like to know what is the process behind transferring H4 to F1 and how long would it take approximately. Please let me know if you know any information regarding this.

Thanks!

2. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

Hi Uma

Apply for a COS (change of status) if you do not plan to travel out of the country as otherwise you will need to get it stamped to F-1

1) Your international admission office will give you all the forms you need to fill like I-539 etc

2) You will need to pay a SEVIS fee and also will have to send a receipt and your I-94 along with the I-539

3) You will need to show financial support, bank statements from your sponsor and a letter stating why you want to change your status.

Note the I-20 will be different if you want to get it stamped or if you are applying for a change of status..

COS can take anywhere between 2-6 months..

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Pranam,
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to join MBA this fall. My school is asking me to get F1. So, I can't join in my H4. If so, I'll loose my graduate assistantship. May I know what is the process of applying for F1? How long will it take? Please let me know.

Thanks!

4. pranam

pranam Senior IL'ite

Hi Uma ,

You could do 2 things:

1) Go to India now and come back on an F-1 visa

2) If you do not want to go back and change your visa, you have the option of applying for a change of status while you are in the US.Do it now as you have approximately 3 months before your fall session starts.However I have seen people get their F-1 in less than 3 weeks and for some it takes as long as 3-6 months.If you are lucky you should get your F-1 before school starts in September.

As listed in my previous mail you will need to fill the I-539 form,affidavit of support,bank letters showing you have enough funds,SEVIS fee receipt,I-94 and other documents.You need to mail it to the USCIS as soon as possible.Get in touch with your international admissions office and they will guide you on how to go about the transfer,the amount required to be shown in the bank statement etc.

5. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

Can we apply for F1 visa, after first semester if persuing studies on H4,do we need to show funds for admisiion while taking admission on H4.what is the procedure, any body
    gone thorugh the procedure ,guide me?

6. shanthisree

shanthisree Senior IL'ite

Can we apply for F1 visa, after first semester if persuing studies on H4,do we need to show funds for admisiion while taking admission on H4.what is the procedure, any body
    gone thorugh the procedure ,guide me?

Hello sweetangel,
    Yes you can study on H4 Visa for the first semester and you can change to F1 after your first semester....to study on H4 you need not submit any financial support documents...but when you are changing to F-1 you need to submit financial support document(A bank statement showing specified amount of money) inorder to get I-20...then you can file for your Cos...
    BTW i am also joining grad school this august on H4:)...
    Regards
    shanthi

7. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

shanthi
    thanks for info,
    Hopefully looking forward for spring sem 2011

1 person likes this.
  8. SnehaMini

SnehaMini New IL'ite

Hello Shanthi,

Did you switch from H4 to F1 by COS? Did you get the F1 visa stamped, if so did you have to go to India or did you go to Canada?

Thanks

9. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

You can start studying on F-1 soon as you get the approval through COS. You do not have to get the visa stamped on your passport. In case you plan to get your visa stamped it's always advisable to do it in your home country. You can get it stamped whenever you visit India for a vacation.

10. priyadarsinit

priyadarsinit New IL'ite

Hi,

I am currently on h4 and I have many doubts on h4 to f1 transfer.Can any one help me with these questions?

1)I want to work while studying and also need OPT after MS.What are the minimum number of courses I have to enroll for getting f1?
    2)Fee details for COS from h4 to f1?
    3)How long does it take to get OPT?

Thanks,
    Priya

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011