1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

H Wants To Take Kid To His Parents Alone For Few Days

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sanjuruby3, Oct 3, 2017.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

As I have my sisters wedding and be not able to take many days off this time. So I will go couple days early to get dresses etc stitched. Now, my H is in between bringing his ego and telling me, our kid has to stay min 10 days at his parents. Hunh..like I am getting that much vacation.

He dictated, if I do not go, he will take her alone. ok...I am thinking ok. I stay longer at my ILs, we fight a lot. My H and me.
    He does not help me or us with kid but speaks a lot and suddenly tries to become man.

Taking kid there.... I know he is speaking too much right now but its not easy. My kid still adjusts at my parents house, my parents talk to her on phone a lot and everyone runs for her given she is only kid in the family. They keep bringing things for her and before she arrives, they have things arranged without asking me like cows milk, soap, towel, toys etc.

At his place, its not different. She gets sick she goes there and does not even have proper docs.
    It is cold winter time means more maintenance. My H does not care about hygiene, bathing/washing/brushing her teeth. His parents do not care much about milk or arranging cow's milk for her. Their place, location itself is not very hygienic ( i am not biased here). They have garbage dumps around their walls and lot of mosquitos ( I hope they will be gone when we go) so she gets sick. Also water in their place is hard,not drinkable so we get bottled water for her. But Its us who have to ask 100 times. Other things, food. I cook separately for my kid and take care of her at the same time and wash her bottles etc.
    Otherwise, my MIL cooks healthy food for her H( my FIL) and rest all eat maggi all the time. They buy 5 Rs Maggi and eat in breakfast and ask me to feed same to her.
    When it was banned all over India( I was there at time visiting) it was still sold there and they were still eating it, feeding kids and asking me to feed her. I said, no please, its hot for her and not in breakfast.
    I live their a week and I never see them cooking breakfast except for FIL. most days maggi beakfast, then plain bread and 1 day pooris from outside in dalda.
    No fruits or ghee ...they do not worry about that. And I know my H will not either.

I know you are going to say, my H has grown up with same care.. blah blah. Well, my H is not very healthy and has grown up with all kind of health issues, acidity of probably eating week old pooris that her mom serves and cooking in Dalda.

Then my kid does not eat chillies at all and inspite of tell them so many times, they forget to take out portions without chillies. They hardly cook green veggies, daal everyday and my kid does not eat that :-(((

Which means my H taking her alone is overall going to increase their work and they are not going to have fun with kid. Its more work and stress for everyone. what do i do

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Tell him the needs to be met for ur child if he wants to take her to his place. Make him cautious about her health . Hope he will realise if he can do it or not. 10 days is a big time for a small child with out mom. If ur child misses u then it is going to be more tough.

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Problem with men is that their big ego blinds them and specially when it comes about their wife and wive's parents. No matter how much meek they are their own home/parents but their nose suddenly becomes high.

IL's kids who living there, are living there from the birth and their mom always lives with them.
    Sometimes, I think, let him take her, have him experience that and then shut him up for life. I know it will be tough for him which I can take but she gets sick again, I will be repenting whole my life. Last time, we visited ILs' she was very sick. IL were not much worried as they think it is common. She did not have any liquid intake for 3 days, no pee and was sad/quiet, sleeping or waking up dull. Still I used to cook for her everyday khichadi or roti with ghee etc , thinking 1 byte or 1 spoon. One day, my MIL shouted, if she is not eating, why wasting and cooking. Her focus is wasted ghee or grains.
    My H's brain gets white washed when he gets there and he becomes dumb.

4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Before a child is taught and understands the concept of "good touch, bad touch", it is good to be under mummy's watch.
    There are threads in this forum on how to teach a child good touch-bad_touch.

IniyaaSri and Archanaanchan like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why will you repent whole life? As it is, you are not getting any Nobel Prize for the mothering you are doing? That is the problem with some of us women. We equate child's one bout of sickness, one missed meal, one pound of weight lost, one nap disturbed with our very being and entity and lose sleep over it, and imagine that we will repent our entire life. Most men, switch on laptop/iPad or look for the TV remote.

If you don't let him take her, you will have to listen for your whole life. Let him take her. Both will end the trip realizing how much you do. Like my wise pediatrician told me years ago - no child will starve itself. Most likely, in less than the 10 days, he will want to drop her off at your place.

6. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,you need to loosen up.
    Let them go.
    He is the father ,he will take care.
    He just has to make sure she gets clean water,has mosquito repellent on .
    Even if she has maggi or bread for 10 days ,it is not going to harm her long term .

Tell your husband you have thought over it and feel he and his mother can take good care of your daughter. Tell him you trust him completely.This way he will be under pressure to be worthy of the trust.

Give him a small list.
    1) Her safety....he has to be around her all the time or have mil around her in his absence. Teach your child good touch bad touch in front of him. That way he will realise the importance.

2) Only bottled water for her. Tell him to buy enough and keep .
    3 ) Buy mosquito repellent patches/ cream and ask him to apply all the time.

Rest tell him you are sure he will make sure she is well fed and clean.
    She will eat when she is hungry and she will ask to be cleaned when she needs to be cleaned.

Your mom and sis have a lot to do and taking care of a toddler ' s needs must not be high on their list. They don't need the extra worry.

Last time she was at in laws , she was small and small children fall sick more often. A change of place makes it worse.

What is the worst that can happen?
    He can't manage and comes back running to you and never brings up this topic again. You get some time to help out at the wedding without the baby.

The best thing that can happen is that she has a really good time with dad and grand mother and you get some family time for yourself.

Don't fight this.
    Tell him you trust him to take care of her for 10 days,

Genuinely prepare both of them and let him take the call if he can go through with this.

You have very little to lose . Let him take the call.
    If he chickens out,fine. Atleast he won' t try this as a threat again .

If he goes through this and succeeds,it is a very happy development. It is a big milestone in your family life. Your child can be left with the father in emergencies. That is a big load off a mother's head.

Good luck op, play it cool.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  7. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

As everyone said - let him take her . Tell him filmy style - ja Jee le apni Zindagi ( just kidding ) . Your kid is definitely going to miss you and ask for you after the first few days. 2-3 days without mother is fine but for a small child , 10 days is a long time . And your husband is going to realize a few things too in meantime.

IniyaaSri and yellowmango like this.
  8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

How old is your kid ? I think you are being a helicopter parent . We mothers don't get a manual of how to look after our kids . When babies fall into our lap , we figure out the rest . Same goes for men . They are not that dumb and most are quite capable of handling another human . It's his own child , he will figure it out . When the baby falls sick or gets bitten by mosquitoes , the fatherly instinct will kick in . Now some mothers want to be super mom who want everything in their control then that's a problem .

Regarding diet , generally grandmas are quite loving and end up over pampering their grandkids . I really doubt that ur MIL no matter how careless she is with her hubby will feed her grandkid Maggie or puris everyday . And even if she does sometimes , nothing is going to happen .kids are used to eating much worse than that by picking things from floor , passing germs etc.

When my older one was around 2, he flew overseas with my hubby . My ds woke up first few nights looking for me but DH managed it quite well . I was alone in the US and I had a ball of a time!

It's just a 10 days vacation . Do what you have been wanting to do all these days ever since the baby was born . Catch up with friends , watch a movie , sleep in/ wake up late or do nothing .

To me it looks like a power struggle for you and you don't want them to enjoy with your kid . Just let go of that and let your hubby deal with the real struggle of handling a kid. He will realize how much of a work this is and may never request such vacations again . After that the kid will be forever yours if that's what you want .

9. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

There are only two outcome from this:
    You let him take her, going by your post, if all of those things happens - your hubby will learn, will stop blamin u, never ask you this again, this topic n it's arguments comes to a stop.

Or if it goes well, n he manages to do well, you have paved way for your child n hubby to spend time at his parents house without them dragging you.

Both is a win win for you.

I think you should let him take her. Let him experience handling all of his daughters needs n sickness by himself. 10 days is a good enough period for him to come to realisation and he will never bother you with this topic ever again.

I share the same sentiment as Rihanna in regards to child's one sickness = repenting whole life scenario. Children falls sick more often than adults do. Let him also realize about the connection between your daughters health n his parents house.

Stop being the bad guy for him n his family all your life n let him see all this with his own eyes, or else he will never realize in his life n will continue to blame only you. N your children would have to witness this argument all their life. You will actually be doing all of you a favour by agreeing to this n puttin an end to this argument. N if it happens according to your post, most likely it won't even last all 10 days.

Let them have their daddy - daughter time n u have fun at the wedding.

NeetaR, sindmani, IniyaaSri and 2 others like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP's concerns are actually very valid, but she would still be better off letting him take the child. She is not being over protective etc. IMO.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so posted the rest in Chatter thread Relationships Forum Chatter & Grey Matter

Nonya likes this.