Gujrati Recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Pravina, May 7, 2006.

1. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Thanks!

Thankyou for the tip Pravina. Will follow your instructions and give you feedback. I do not know what brand of whole wheat atta you get in UK, but here in US there are way too many brands. I was using the Swad brand whole wheat flour with no maida mixed and was happy with my rotis and suddenly it is out of stock . So now again I have to experiment other brands. Do you get same brands like us here in US...Swad, Laxmi, sujata,golden temple etc?

I made the peanut chutney yesterday and it was awesome.

Regards,
    Deepa

2. Pravina

Pravina New IL'ite

Roti's

Hello Deepa,
    Here in the Uk we also get different kinds of wheat flour namely asli atta, elephant, pilsbury etc. i try to stick to medium broun as the roti's donot look too brown and also they donot become heavy in texture.
    When i was in West Africa where Indian groceries are not very easily available i used to buy a whole sack (60kgs)of American wheat from the port. My house servant used to clean them for me before i sent them to the mill to be made into flour. In that wheat flour i used to mix a little maida,say for evry 1 bowl 1/4 bowl of maida.
    Hope this helps
    warm regards
    Pravina

3. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Tindora Recipe Pls!

Dear Pravinaji,

I have a bag of tindora lying in my refrigerator. Can you please post your recipe of tindora subzi. And also, last time at the Gujrati restaurant in the thali, they served a dal/subji made with whole dry tuvar ( not fresh tuvar lilva) which tasted awesome. Can you help me with that recipe too?

Thanks and Regards,
    Deepa

4. Pravina

Pravina New IL'ite

Hello Deepa,
    Did u manage to make tthe roti's? I hope it worked out fine.

recipe for Tindora and Sweet corn curry.
    For 4-5 people

450grms Tindora
    250gms tinned or frozen corn(boiled and drained)
    2 fresh tomatoes choped or half can peeled chopped tomatoes
    for tampering,
    !/2 tsp Mustard seeds
    1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
    !/2 tsp Turmeric
    2tsp Coriander and jeera powder
    1tsp red chilli powder
    1 tsp sugar.
    2Tbls fresh chopped coriander

1 Wash and slice the tindora either round or longand deep fry.
    2 Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the mustard seedsand the hing.
    3Add the tomatoes, corn and all the spices and let it simmer for a couple of minutes . Finally add the tindora. Let it simmer for a little while.
    4 Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.

PS if u donot want to fry the tindora. u can omit. Instead heat the oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds and hing. Add salt and sugar and a pinch of soda-bi carb. stir and cook on slow heat, covered with a lid. Stir once or twice to stop it sticking to the bottom. Then follow from step 3.

For Tuvar vegetable.

For 4 people,
    Soak half bowl tuvar.
    1 Tbls oil
    1/2tsp mustard seeds
    a pinch of hing
    salt
    1tsp green chilli and ginger paste.
    1/2 tsp Chilli powder
    1tsp dhana-jeera powder
    1/4tsp turmeric,
    1/2 tsp sugar
    2chopped tomatoes,
    lemon juice
    Chopped coriander.
    Cook the tuvar till soft
    Heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and hing. Add tomatoes.Cook for couple of mins till soft. add the tuvar and the spices and lemon juice. u can add 1/4 cup water if it istoo dry. let it simmer for couple of mins. add chopped coriander and serve.

PS instead of water u can add coconut milk.

Hope u like it

5. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Thanks!

Dear Pravinaji,

Yes, I made the rotis per your recipe and they turned out very soft. Your secret tip was a great help. Even the next day they stayed soft.

Thankyou for the tindora and tuvar subzi recipe. Will try out this weekend and give feedback.

Regards,
    Deepa

6. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Feedback!

Dear Pravinaji,

I made Tindora and sweet corn curry and whole tuvar dal/subji along with rotis for dinner tonight. Awesome recipes! Tindora and sweet corn great combination and tastes great. Tuvar dal/subji was delicious too. It has the same restaurant taste. Adding a bit of coconut milk gives richness to the recipe. My rotis are very soft these days.
    Thankyou once again for these recipes and eagerly awaiting more subji recipes from you!

Regards
    Deepa

7. Pravina

Pravina New IL'ite

Okra curry

Okra Curry

For 4 Persons
    cooking time 15min
    Prep. Time 10min.
    Ingredients

1/2 kg okra wiped with a damp cloth.top, tailed and sliced and cut into 1" pieces.

1 potato peeled and cut into thin strips

2 fresh tomatoes chopped or 3Tbls peeled chopped can tomatoes

1Tbl spoon of Dhana -jeera powder(Coriander and cumin powder)
    1tsp red chilli powder
    1/2 tsp turmeric.
    1/4 tsp jaggery or 1tsp sugar
    1tsp besan flour.
    1tsp oil
    salt to taste.
    paste of two cloves garlic and one clove chopped finely.1/2 tsp mustard seeds
    1/4 tsp hing
    juice of half lemon or 2 Tbls bottled lemon juice
    2Tbls chopped frsh coriander.

1 Fry the okra and the potato in hot oil and leave them on a kitchen paper towel.
    2 heat the oil in the pan. add chopped garlic and mustard seeds and hing
    3 Add the tomatoes and all the spices,jaggery and besan flour. let it cook for a couple of mins on a slow flame.
    4 Add the Okra potatoes and very gently mix with the spices. add lemon juice and chopped coriander.
    Serve with Chappatis and enjoy

PS. If you donot want to fry the Okra and potaoes then:
    start from step 2 but add 2 tbls extra oil. Add potatoes and cook for a little while.Add okra and the spices. cook on a slow flame stirring once or twice. Please donot stir too much as the okra will become mussy. last add lemon juice and chopped coriander.

OkrQUOTE=Pravina]Hi All,

I have been going through the recipes submitted by various members. one of my hobbies is also cooking . I have resided in the uk for the last 34yrs. I and my husband and 2 boys are all vegetarians. With innovation I have learnt to make international dishes using veggies. I am a gujarati lady so if anyone of you out there would like any gujju recipes i will be more than happy to post them. It was a pleasure to teach my foreign friends whilst in West Africa and introducing them to our mouth watering dishes
    Hope to hear from you all[/QUOTE]

8. Deepa

Deepa Senior IL'ite

Fb

Dear Mrs. Pravina,

Made Okra curry with rotis today. Very tasty subji. I did not deep fry the potatoes and okra, I followed the second method. It turned out very fine. I have made bhindi masala in the past, this combination of potatoes, okra and tomatoes are very good.
    Thanks for the recipe. Please do post more subji recipes.

Regards,
    Deepa

9. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

Khandvi

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TD class=Lgreycap>
    Khandvi
    Ingredients

<TD class=Mblackcap>Serves 4<TD class=Mblacktxt>1¼ cups Gram flour (besan) <TD class=Mblacktxt>1 inch piece Ginger <TD class=Mblacktxt>2 Green chillies <TD class=Mblacktxt>4 tbsps Oil <TD class=Mblacktxt>1 cup Yogurt <TD class=Mblacktxt>Salt to taste <TD class=Mblacktxt>1/2 tsp Turmeric powder <TD class=Mblacktxt>1 tbsp Lemon juice <TD class=Mblacktxt>Asafoetida a pinch <TD class=Mblacktxt>1 tsp Mustard seeds <TD class=Mblacktxt>2 tbsps Coconut (scraped) <TD class=Mblacktxt>Fresh coriander leaves (chopped)a few sprigs

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TD class=Lgreycap>Method<TD class=Mblacktxt>Sieve besan and keep in a bowl. Grind ginger and green chillies. Grease the reverse side of a few thalis or marble table top with a little oil. Make buttermilk with yogurt and half a cup of water. Mix the besan with ginger-green chilli paste, salt, turmeric powder, lemon juice and buttermilk, taking care that no lumps remain. Cook this mixture, stirring continuously, in a thick bottomed pan till it becomes a smooth thick batter. It takes a little time to get ready. Quickly spread portions of the mixture over the greased inverted thalis or marble table top as thinly as possible while the batter is still hot. When cool, cut into strips two inches wide and roll them tightly. Heat two tablespoons of oil and add a pinch of asafoetida and mustard seeds. When they splutter, pour over the pieces. Serve garnished with scraped coconut and chopped coriander leaves.<TD class=Lgreycap>Tips<TD class=Mblacktxt>Making Khandvi is an art. It takes some practice to get the correct consistency after cooking. Try out a small portion first.
    try this and let me know

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear heena,
    khandvi was shown in the travel and living but could never bring myself to try...now after looking at this receipe wondering whether i should give it a go...thanks will let u know how it tastes...regards sunkan