Guidance required on learning English

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by vandanasrinivas, Oct 6, 2013.

1. vandanasrinivas

vandanasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Hiii friends..

Hope all r fine...again i struck up with confusion..

My son recently joined in Foundation in Uk..In INDIA he is into UKG...and very good at studies and all...after coming here he don't want to read,write etc..
    In school he is facing language problem..soo till now he don't have any friends..
    when we r in hyd..he used to write his alphabets,numbers and all..now he don't want to write..please tell me howto guide for writing cursive writing and communication..and now he is 5yrs..till now we never trained him reading story books in his own..we felt he is small..but if we tell anything he will grasp it very quickly...he remembers everything..
    is 5yrs kid can read his story books alone???how to teach him words interesting??
    how to improve pronunciation??

please hel me ladies...share ur lill ones experiences...

Thanqqq

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The best way to teach your child reading is to read to him. Do it consistently, every single night before bedtime. Read books with simple words and lots of colorful pictures to keep him interested. I would recommend Dr Seuss's beginner books. Simultaneously, start teaching him the phonetic pronunciations of English alphabets. Once he learns the letter sounds, you can ask him to sound out the simpler words while reading to him. He will pick up reading very quickly if you follow this approach consistently for a few months.

3. sandynar

sandynar Gold IL'ite

Vandana
    Even my sonhad language issues when we moved to UK.he was used to tamil and US english and culdnt understand the accent here.After he started school and mingling with other students he has picked up the UK style.
    All i did was i took him to the library a lot and read loads of books.
    In Asda you get writing practice books for different levels of learning and ages.i bought a lot of those books and made him write that one page a day.
    Try doing that.
    Teachers in foundation stage are very friendly and helpful.
    We went to his teacher here and requested her to pay him a little more attention and he was class first when he graduated from reception.
    He is in Year 1 now.
    Kids pick up things very quickly.
    Read a lot of books to him and make him write the alphabets and writing books everyday.

4. vandanasrinivas

Thanqq Gauri and sandy...I am working on it..

Bit busy now..reply in detail soon..

Thanqqww

5. vandanasrinivas

Hii frnds now he is showing little interest to study...but need more advices to write daily..

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I would not consider educated, urban Indians as non-native English speakers.
    Non-native accents and intonation perhaps ... but not so incapacitated as to be unable to help a child.

Phonics may indeed be useful, but combination of reading, writing, phonics and lots of little play-pals will go a long way. This problem is temporary. Kids are language machines with highly resilient brains. Don't worry too much, just ensure that your son has an active and stimulating environment & all will be well.

7. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Does UKG mean 4 year old? He will start speaking UK English in about 6-7 months of time. I am assuming your child is already going to some school. Don't even focus on teaching your child the language of the land. He will pick-it up from his friends in school and in neighborhood. You make sure that he is loved, well fed and well rested at home. That's it.

No need of any extra courses for the child. Be patient.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013