1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Guess??

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Shanvy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Chillbreeze i will make gardening more easier for you. are you aware that you can get a starter kit from the govt on production of address book and ration card. it is available in chennai,cbe.
    Horticulture :: schemes :: Do It Yourself Kit Program
    Help to raise a vegetable garden at home - The Hindu

there is a youtube link tut too.

you can actually make use cocopeat and soil combination that makes it lighter and safer on roof. and it is easily available in the kit itself..ah life could not be more easier for a gardener..kudos to the govt for trying to encourage kitchen gardening.

with herbs you can try aloevera, tulasi, betel, omavalli. along with this you can try mulaikeerai that is easy.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/gardening/76931-the-mini-pharmacy-your-garden.html

P.S.- be wary of the summer, that is definitely going to be scorcher. do not blame yourself if you fail a few times..talk to your plants and be aware of what plant needs how much water...all the best and may you start sharing those wonderful yields here.

there are many small local groups that do seed sharing and plant sharing, check out for ones in your areas.

2. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info Shanvy. Since you said to be careful of summer I am hesitating now. I will read up on the thread you mentioned and gather some more info and then proceed.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

CB, I started something akin to composting before I got this kit - I used to collect all the veggie peels, run it through a spin in the mixer, mix it with the overflow water from the RO filter and water my plants. I did that because whole veg peels might attract rodents. I did not have any problem with that.

Of late I procured a 3 pot "khamba" from the local daily dump. They also provide stuff like a starter (made of coconut fiber and a dry bacterial culture). Here is the link to their site with details on where to get the equipment and how to go about it. It's quite simple actually. Home page | Daily Dump

4. satchitananda

@chillbreeze, here is more on the subject.

Going Green - IL.jpg
    Vegetable peels, stalks etc. put through mixer and mixed with RO wash water

Khamba Home Composting - IL.jpg
    Composting khamba in one corner of my balcony

First lot of compost for maturing - IL.jpg
    The first lot of compost which has been left for maturing - should be usable by next month.

3 people like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Hi shanvy,
    looks like mixture of dried leaves, flowers , the brown portions - used tea leaves etc?
    as you said - guessing :)

2 people like this.
  6. satchitananda

Yes Joylokhi, vegetable waste (peels etc.), coffee powder, dry leaves, 'accelerator' (a mixture of cocopeat and a starter culture which I got from the "Daily Dump").

2 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.