1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grumpy Old Man, That's Me!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

That odd couple embody grumpiness beyond recognition! It is nice to reference the 90s films, long seen, but vaguely mindful. Bringing them to the fore is nostalgic of those times when movies were watched on cable with their entire run time without any twirly forward control. No wonder you remembered the scene so well!

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,
    Why only senior men are grumpy and not women?
    Grumpy and old age go together?
    So, you started observing people in gym with a fake smile. Got idea for a blog? I like "locked jaw" comment of your daughter.
    I have seen and read about some grumpy seniors. Behind the facade... Some special thing is there.
    R. K. Laxman used to roam in the corridors of his TOI office with folded hands behind for new Cartoon ideas and suddenly flash of idea is used to lighten up!
    Archy Bunker is the epitome of grumpiness.... Thoroughly enjoyed. Watched all reruns.
    In spite of all what you have written I cannot believe you to be grumpy!
    Syamala

Thyagarajan and satchitananda like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Novalis,

A few such movies, we keep watching regularly and no matter how many times they show it in Television. Rush Hour, Toy Story, 101 Dalmatians, Home Alone, etc. are other movies.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:thanks for the observation & comment. I agree.
    Regards.
    God's benevolence only to OBSERVERS.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this snippet. I have to tell this to aunty - you are doing everything wrong right from waking up on the wrong side to that newspaper. When has a newspaper made anyone happy if it is not associated with a memory, like mine with my dad every Sunday morning reading the editorial of The Hindu. Do you think I read newspaper now? No way. I did then for the time I could spend with dad you know. The ironies of life if you care to observe bring a smile to your face eh? One thing is clear either you start your day with Wodehouse or head out to seek the ironies to keep that smile on, that is if you want to. But I have a suspicion - you stay grumpy to keep aunty happy! Now she can fuss around and try to make you smile and you so enjoy it, don't you? Well that's my conclusion anyways.

You know thinking of old men and grump, my FIL was one but I cannot see him any other way like I cannot imagine my dad grumpy - happiest man ever! When DS was 2 or so, he was obsessed with Dora and there is a grumpy old troll there with riddles, a beard and all! Sounds silly now but backthen, watching DS's excited face was priceless as are the memories. Your post reminded me of him, the troli I mean after a very long time.....like I think of my dad every time I read you! Thank you for that.

This post brings out the cheerful, humor filled sir I have known way better! Enjoyed every sentence be it "who do you quarrel with in your dreams" or " I break my tooth brush because no paste would come out of the tube"! Classic sir! Enjoyed it all.

Cheeniya, Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Regarding RK Lakshman
    He used to go through the news constantly flowing to his table and the most appropriate one he selects around 4am and in less than 5 minutes the cartoon for the morning edition readied.
    He used to sit almost round the clock in office i heard for making the best.
    Thanks and regards.
    God in sketch readied in a minute.
    Go

shyamala1234 likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I always wonder how two brothers from same family became so famous in their fields.... Cartoonist and his brother R. K. Narayan... a writer!
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Lord Lakshmi Narasimhar is the only God who sports a massive smile showing all his 32 teeth, all the time to all his devotees. So your big smile instantly reminded me of the Lion God.
    Have you ever felt the pain when your jaws are locked. Twice I had a locked jaw while yawning in the dead of night, and with my swelling face and unbearable pain, I had to rush to the nearest hospital.
    My DH becomes grumpy during IPL matches, if CSK doesn't win and will be directing all his anger at me. I can't understand the logic behind this grumpiness, because these cricket people earning in crores, in fact should be grumpy when they lose a match.
    When I look at the sales woman sweating it out in the searing Chennai heat, trying to sell products which nobody wants to buy, despite all the offers, my grumpiness vanishes. There are people worse than us out on the streets. God is great!

regards,

Agatha83

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Ha Viswa, the numero uno of IL. Thanks a lot for your first response and sorry for the delay in responding. I have been watching the weather channel fondly hoping that the much sensationalized Fani would make a landfall in Chennai and fill our reservoirs but it looks as though we'll draw blank once again. Looks like my once-a-week bathing schedule would continue till we sight another cyclone. I have not lost hope yet and am keeping my fingers crossed.
    That's what all grumpy folks do! I know guys who crack some moth-eaten jokes and laugh hysterically while others look at him irritated!
    That's what all contestants do in music contests of TV channels. I always thought it was the bench-mark of talented singers.
    This is a risky proposition. I too do it and invariably the residual soap stays in my palm while the new one slips off. Retrieving it is a tricky task.
    Here is a Wodehouse reader in a train for you!

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Afresh
    Some are born smiling. Some acquire the capacity for smiling and the rest have that thrust upon them. Surely you belong to the first category. I belong to the third!
    Notwithstanding the grumpy face, I love looking at the lighter side of life around us. My mum would often tell me that everything around us could give us a smile or frown and it was purely our choice to select. People who come to me with sad stories turn me off. Everyone has his/her private grief and I fail to understand why it is broadcast loud and clear.
    Oh, my English! It should have been just 'old'
    Sri

Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.