1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Growing Indian plants in USA - northeast coast

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by jerseygirl, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jerseygirl

jerseygirl New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am new to gardening and live in the cold north east of USA. I would love to grow typical indian vegetables, herbs etc at home. In pots or ground. Please suggest which ones are good to grow ...we have four seasons - spring, summer, fall , winter ( 4 months of snow and -10C weather).

Looking forward to hearing about this.:thumbsup:thumbsup

2. MythiliMurali

MythiliMurali Bronze IL'ite

You can grow all veggies in the ground in summer.But it is little late you may get only one/two crops. If you want some plants to produce all year round like dwarf drumstick, curry leaf plant, jasmines,... you have to plant them in pots & bring them inside in winters.
    If you start sowing seeds indoors it will speed up the germination process. Here is the information that IL's posted & the ones that I learned from Google:
    1--->Seeds sprout fast if they are maintained: 75-80F temperature,dark,wet(not watery). Some seeds have harder shell like coriander, karela, breaking the shell helps to speed up the process.
    2--->Methi Leaves : soak the methi seeds in wet paper towel & keep it moist all the time. You will get sprouts which are nothing but roots. Throw them on the soil & cover it with thin layer of soil. They grow very fast. Same with sugar snap peas/peas/Lima beans.
    3--->Mint : get a fresh bunch from store & use all leaves & place the stems in a cup with water filled in it. Change the water for every one or two days. You will see tiny roots developing with in 3-4 days. Then transfer in to the soil.
    4--->Coriander or Dhaniya : Crush them to split into half & then sow directly in the ground.
    5--->Sorrel Leaves(Gongura): Use the leaves & plant the stems in a well fertile & well drained soil.
    6--->Bitter melon(Karela) : By chance if you have a ripe store bought melon remove the red cover of the seed, wash it & gently cut the narrow side(or tip) of the seed with a knife & plant it in the soil. It needs 80-85F to germinate.
    7--->Yellow Round Cucumber: I threw all the seeds that I got from store bought cuke, to my surprise all were germinated. I washed the seeds with tea strainer & dried them for a day or half & then planted in the soil. They germinated with in 3-4 days. I didn't expect.
    8--->You can do the same with chilies too or use the seeds of dried red chilie from your pantry. I read it takes lot of time to germinate. UPDATE: I got chilie seedlings from dried red chilies with in a week.
    9--->Keep in mind that you can grow them until October only. So better to start as early as possible.
    Hot weather crops like Okra, Karela grows best in June, July, August.
    10--->Spinach, lettuce are cool weather crops i.e for spring/fall. Soak spinach seeds in wet paper towel & refrigerate for a week & then plant them in fall/spring. Of course I planted 3 weeks back to give it a try.

2 people like this.
  3. libra4164

libra4164 Silver IL'ite

Hi Mythili, Lovely tips! Op. We even grow brinjals, tomatoes, capsicums, raspberries etc during our very short spring and summer season.

4. jerseygirl

jerseygirl New IL'ite

Thanks Mythili ...

for the info !
    but what do you do come november? Do we just let the pots get covered with snow or is there a way to preserve the plant or whatever is left of it?

5. MythiliMurali

MythiliMurali Bronze IL'ite

@Libra4164 Thank you......
    @jesseygirl .....
    All summer/tropical crops will die in winter even though you cover them. Many people will stock up the extra produce in the freezer. That's the only way you can have home grown veggies year round in northern states.You can grow mint, cilantro, leafy veggies in pots & bring them inside during winters. I don't think we can over winter tomato plants. I mean you cannot grow them even if you bring them inside.
    Checkout the hardiness zone of your area in logees.com(scroll down) Some plants that are hard to your place like rose, mint, rosemary will go into dormant stage during winters & grow back again. No need to replant.

1 person likes this.