Grouping Members of City, State and Country in a Thread - A Waste!

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by malspie, Sep 18, 2008.

1. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Dear Malathy / Jey / Laxmi

I find that it makes no sense in collecting people in a thread from any City, State or Country. I am seeing Castewise threads also!!

What has been the purpose of this thread? I'Lite introduce themselves and it remains dead forever! The thread gets bulky and no one even bothers to peep in this thread! Many of them have 2 to 10 posts to their credit so no personal interactions with them is possible too as PM facility is given only after they hit 50 posts.

These threads have spoilt the Forum Display too!

We already have a thread "Who Am I?"

Let new members punch in their details in "Who Am I?" and finish it off. All the threads of 'Meet here - with the city state and country name' should be merged for the time being!

Now in my Pune sub-forum separate thread for Marathi has started, Marathi from settled outside has also started, slowly sub-caste of Marathi will start! This should not be encouraged!

I would request you to please look in to this matter with concern and act immediately!
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Malspie, thanks for the feedback. As I observe these threads, it looks like newcomers are very comfortable making their first post in these types of light threads than with any deep discussion threads. It helps them learn how to make a post and just get their feet wet with IL. Our site can be very intimidating for new comers (initially) and these threads help ease them into IL.

Agree, that is a big no-no. We have already been discussing about this among the FMs and LCs and we made an annoucement http://www.indusladies.com/forums/announcements/35704-no-get-together-threads-caste.html to set guidelines on these types of threads.

I agree that the Who am I? thread is also an initial introduction thread at a global level. However, the ideal place for members to provide their details is in their profile. That way, readers can just click on the members name and know more about them as opposed to hunting down their post in the Who am I? thread. (P.S-Members can update profile information by going to their profile->About Me tab)

3. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malathy,

I am extremely happy to know that steps are taken to curb the castewise threads. Thank you very much.

I agree that newcomers find it difficult to understand the browsing and posting pattern of this site and it would easy for them to learn to post by introducing themselves in the state / country threads.

Thank You Once Again!