1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Group for Ponniyin Selvan Lovers

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by AkilaPaarri, Apr 11, 2015.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Same here. I choose to remember them as I read in PS.

Rajeni likes this.
  2. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Ahem! How did I miss this thread?!

Join me in Ladies! PS is my all time favorite! Its an understatement to call it a favorite.. I have lived in the Chola period forgetting all the reality for the entire time I was reading.. I have read it once and revised it ( yeah.. revised in the sense reread favorite chapters and conversations) n number of times.. And When I was done reading the first time.. I was so depressed for a week that it ended..

And talking about AK's murder, of course, I cannot believe that Arulmozhi thevar would be involved! No, not him! If he was so obsessed for power why would he defer it for Uthama Chola's benefit, when the whole kingdom was eager to crown him?!

3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Might be to avoid unnecessary controversies!!
    I think most of us fell in love with Kalki's characterization and cannot accept them otherwise.

4. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

True! Kalki's characterization s etched in our hearts!

5. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Well, I read this when I was 15 and felt a boiling rage when AdithaKarikala was killed.
    I don't know if you people read about the stone inscription of the Rajarajachola times, that I read, having details about exiling 119 or so people from the Chola kingdom for the muder of AK. Interestingly one or two were even ministers in the Uthama Chola period.

History has a lot of mysteries worth exploiting for, and very few take that route.

PavithraS and blackbeauty84 like this.
  6. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Who knows ,it might be a tactic to make people of the kingdom believe how great Arunmozhi is. If Kundhavai and Arunmozhi can plot the murder of Adhithya Karikalan, they can even make this drama of gifting the Kingdom to Uththamachozha aka Sendhan Amudhan,a delicate and soft spoken character who has regards and respects for all the Royal Family members, while Arunmozhi concentrates on expanding the boundaries of Chola Dynasty and assuring people a secure and free land to live in so that in a longer run people will want Arunmozhi to rule them. Even Kalki has portrayed the character of Uththamachozha to die after some years at the Helm of Chola Dynasty. Was it a natural death, who knows ? Being powerful some times has nothing to do with being the King, it is the King Maker who is all power full at any given time. In this case even Arunmozhi himself may have been Kundhavai's pawn. She is the one who was all powerfull in Chola Dynasty. As you all have shared, it is hard to come out of Kalki's Characterization. That is because of his story telling capacity. He has masterfully established the good virtues of the characters that he wanted to patronize. As a writer he has accomplished it first and in a best possible way. That is why the other historical novel writers like Balakumaaran (Udayar) find it hard to change the readers' views about the famous characters. Everybody takes PS as a scale by which they measure others' story telling, which is unfortunate. The real characteristics of people are not always black and white, it comes with many shades of gray too. That is what makes people more interesting, this is my view :)

Yes that is true. I have a downloaded version of Udayar, in which Balakumaran explains this. I like his writings as he always makes the reader get in to the world of the characters by paying more attention to details.(Irumbu-Kuthirai,Irandaavadhu Sooriyan being some among my favorite novels of Balakumaran !)

Karthiga and blackbeauty84 like this.
  7. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Me too heard about that novel (Author Narasimhan of The Hindu ?),portraying Kundhavai as Arunmozhi's mother. Sounds extreme and illogical but as I have not read that novel, it is difficult for me to come to a conclusion. Adhithya Karikalan was a war hero. He was more muscle than brain. He acted as per his state of mind and regretted his actions later, which is not a great quality to have as a ruler. His emotions were the reason for his downfall. Even the Prime Minister Aniruththa Bramaraayar, a master in espionage, did not like the idea of such an emotional person being crowned as the King of Chola Empire at that crucial time. Everybody other than the Thirukkovalur Malayamaan, Adhithya Karikalan's maternal grandfather, were against him being crowned. But Adhithya was a man with pure heart full of love towards Nandhini till the end. His was a plain characterization ,unlike Arunmozhi who was portrayed as somebody who can achieve so many great things, personally and for the Throne. Adhithya was the raw bloody Prince while Arunmozhi was the charming face of Chola Dynasty. Had Nandhini and Adhithya Karikalan been married, the story would have gone in an altogether different plane, portraying the skills and master mindedness of two powerful female characters, Kundhavai and Nandhini, competing against each other. This is all only interesting viewpoints, I am not basing any of my ideas with historical data which might not support these. Just food for thought :)

8. AkilaPaarri

AkilaPaarri Senior IL'ite

Here is my thought.. there were many kings who ruled south india and we hardly remember only few of them..it's not because of the war and kingdoms they won..it's by some of their marvellous work (building temples at that time)...what my thought is, if a person has the ability to do such a work must be kind to all of his people and also to the slaves who he have won thru many wars..a man will be known by his activities..if one could know abt the inscriptions of big temple, we will know some characteristics of the ppl..he had mentioned all ppl name who had donated anything to the temple..if ppl are doing work and giving plenty of donation it's not only because of temple work but also as a sign of love they have on their king..which in turn he done such great things to gain such love..a person who got any power by killing their own brother cannot do such great works in his lifetime..this is my point of view..which has no proof as though...

9. AkilaPaarri

FB_IMG_1479483692605.jpg FB_IMG_1479483712870.jpg

Some of pics I took @thanjavoor..hope u all like it..

idonthatemylife likes this.
  10. AkilaPaarri