1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Group for Ponniyin Selvan Lovers

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by AkilaPaarri, Apr 11, 2015.

1. AkilaPaarri

AkilaPaarri Senior IL'ite

@blackbeauty84... Of course yes...one will find many controversies btw PS and Udaiyar..for ex: portrayal of sembiyan maadevi in PS and Udaiyar will be quite opposite and obviously reader will have a confusion which is the real characteristics....
    While readers travels with vandhiyathevan in PS, I feel reader lives with arumozhi in Udaiyar..I felt like I was standing right next to him in each and every chapter and part..but still there were many holes in Udaiyar novel..while PS will look a complete one...

boons likes this.
  2. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

Yes also Arulmozhi who used to be dedicated to Vanathi in PS and in Udayar she is just one among many! But still Udayar is a great read to understand tanjore temple construction and the impact to people.

PavithraS and AkilaPaarri like this.
  3. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I would love to join this thread!!!.... Ponniyin selvan is my favorite.Read it 3 - 4 times.... After reading PS, lost interest in historical novels as none had written in the way Kalki did.... But then slowly started and reading Udaiyar now, it goes very slowly.

I always wondered about Adithya Karikala's death and did lot of research in net regarding that.... Finally I found a book called,"Sangathara". It gives totally a different view about Kundavai and others.... somethings are unbelievable. good one though....

4. idonthatemylife

idonthatemylife Silver IL'ite

Dear OP, First of all thank you for starting this thread.Glad that i found this in IL.I am a great fan of Thiru.Kalki and PS is the first novel i read. I read the novel when i was 12 years old.To this day i remember how i used to run home for school everyday to read the novel.My favourite character is Vandhiyathevan. I experienced all those emotions he did. I got scared when he got scared in his first meeting with Chinna pazhuvettaraiyar.I tasted the Kootanjoru in the very first episode which he did on Kaveri karai on Aadi peruku.I thot i was going to drown in the sea when he did when Poongulazhi took him to Srilanka.Even i thought i was standing next to him in Nilavarai when he saw the mountains of gold coins,jewellery and even skeletons.And the list will go on.

I have read the Kaviriyin Maindhan and i felt the same about Arulmozhi.He is portrayed as Sri Rama in PS where as in this novel, he falls in love with another girl and wants to marry her.It broke my heart and felt sad for Vanathi.

5. blackbeauty84

There used to be a yahoo group for discussing Aadhitya karikalan's death. Not sure whether group is alive still.
    I wanted to read Sangathara but never came around buying it. Yes I heard about Kundavai's involvement in that too.
    Sad thing is Kalki portrayed these characters well it's hard to believe it otherwise.

6. AkilaPaarri

@deeprapriya I haven't red sangathara but I have heard in that novel, author said like kundhavai involved in aadithya karikalan's death(not sure abt it)...but that is completely false...kundhavai is not at all involved in her brothers death...
    People who red Udaiyar will come to know abt AK's death...even an inscription is found in udaiyarkudi anantheeswara temple of raja raja's period abt the punishment given for the assasinators of AK...none other than ravidasan and parameshwaran...who was portrayed as Pandiya aabathudhavis in PS...they have enjoyed higher post in uthama Cholan period(chendhan Amudhan in PS) which in turn gives the doubt whether uthama Cholan is involved in AK's death...but none gives the exact reason and person behind AK's assassination... We need time machine for that I think so...

P.S: AK's assassination may be bad or it may be an act of cowardness...but if tat was not happened so we would not have got a great ruler and no PS or Udaiyar...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    deeprapriya likes this.
  7. blackbeauty84

@akhila : There are many theories surronding the death, but point is no one can really confirm what really happened.
    One version is that Arulmozhi and Kundavai planned the murder using abathuthavis. When Arulmozhi came to throne since those people threatened them, he ordered punishment for abathuthavis familes & extended families and publicaly inscribed the verdict.
    Those were days kings do anything for power so this is not surprising.

deeprapriya likes this.
  8. AkilaPaarri

Is this concept given in sangathara???

9. blackbeauty84

Not sure as i haven't read the book. But as i said earlier there was a yahoo group regarding Aadhitya karikalan's death and this is one such theory.

10. AkilaPaarri

Ok..the thing is I couldn't accept nor digest that concept...