Green Leafy Vegetables In Chinese Supermarket

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by SparkleSneha, Oct 1, 2016.

1. SparkleSneha

SparkleSneha New IL'ite

Hi

Whenever I visit chinese supermarket, I am overwhelmed by the green leafy isle which has huge variety of veggies like Kale, Chard, bok choy, Gai Lan (chinese brocolli), Napa Cabbage, Gai Choy , Yuk choy and so on.

Has anyone ever tried these and cooked them in Indian style. Would you recommend any of these to Indian taste buds ? I feel Indians should add a bit of more greens in their diet specially kids and women to prepare our body as we age as magnesium and iron are very important as we grow.

SSneha

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

A friend of mine has a very simple recipe for most greens. Chop garlic, fry it for a half a minute. Add chopped greens and just let it wilt. I'm not sure she adds salt or not but adding salt makes it too watery. Instead of salt, a squeeze of lemon makes it very tasty.

MalStrom likes this.
  3. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

I too didn't know how to use all those. Then tried one by one. Most of them can be done in Indian style like we do back home. Basic tadka, saute some chopped onion & a few garlic cloves for 2-3 min, add cut greens. Cook for 4-5 min. You can reduce the time too depending on your taste. I follow this method for Mustard greens, Turnip greens, Chard, Kale, Bok choy.

I found collard greens to be taking more time than the others listed. So I wash them & use a chopper to finely chop collard greens or Kale and mix it in atta, add salt, garam masala, chilly powder, turmeric, 3-4 drops oil. No need to add water too and roll just like regular chapathis. Add oil if you want while cooking and this doesn't get very dry like normal chapathis. Sometimes I make them like 10-15 & store in fridge or freezer.

SparkleSneha likes this.
  4. SparkleSneha

SparkleSneha New IL'ite

Thank you Soumya and guesshoo.
    These are very helpful suggestions :)