Great Shopping and Eating Out Options

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Delhi' started by BandanaSen, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

We all love to shop to our hearts' content and when we are literally at our wits end with all those shopping bags we search for a place to snatch a quick bite or two. Luckily most Delhi markets wisely combine both great shops and good restaurants.
    Here is a review of the Greater Kailash Part I M Block Market. There is a young feel to this place. You get the best of things but then bargaining is just not in. The popular stores include Unistyle, Da Milano, Espirit, Benetton, Wills Lifestyle and Puma. Eating out options include Barista, Gelato, Pizza Hut, Cafe Coffee Day and Urban Pind.
    With the latest in fashion, there is no doubt that shoppers are in for a treat here. I would like my fellow ILites to share their views of Delhi markets.
    :hiya

2. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Bandana
    The Defence Colony Market popularly called as <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Def</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Col</st1:State></st1:place> has great options from food joints to fashion stores. There aquite a few great bakeries here like the Regency, Defence Bakery and Angels in my kitchen.
    Most restaurants have a bar. Popular restaurants include Mocha which is a coffee and hookah bar, Swagath, a famous south Indian restaurant, Gola Sizzlers, Moets, Subway, Sagar another great south Indian restaurant and Colonel’s Kebab restaurant. All those who want an ice cream after their meal, make a beeline to the Baskin Robbins outlet in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Def</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Col</st1:State></st1:place> market.

3. Isabel66

Isabel66 Junior IL'ite

Dear Bandana
    I recently visited the GK I Market during my stay in Delhi. The crowd is great and the shopping terrific but the parking is a pain. Anyway thanks for your info...:thumbsup

4. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Well, as far as eating out is concerned, New Friends Colony market (popularly called NFC) has many popular options. The Shawarma Chicken Rolls at Al Bake is a great favorite with non veg lovers. What makes the rolls a crowd favorite is the fact that they are all reasonably priced.
    Other restaurants which attract the hep south <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City> crowd regularly are The Pebble Street, Moksha, Ivy, The Mezz, Ego and Q’BA (<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Surya</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Plaza</st1:placeType></st1:place>). A hot favorite for Chinese dishes is the Yum Yum Tree.
    Apart from these restaurants, New Friends Colony also has McDonalds, Nirulas, Barista, CCD, Domino’s and even a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) outlet.
    So if you are in the mood for a movie (Batra Glitz) followed by some eats, NFC is just the right choice for you.

5. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

Well, these big eating joints are great!!!
    Let me tell you about some “desi” ones! I love the kulchas at Breakfast Point in Rohini. Whenever I visit my sister at Rohini, a visit to this modest shop is always on the agenda. Mukesh, the owner, caters to the non-stop demand for Amritsare Kulche from the residents of Rohini.
    Sunday morning breakfast at this shop with two Kulche each and glasses of lassi make my family really happy.

Location: A-76, Shop No. 5, Prashant Vihar, Lancer Convent School Road, Delhi 85. Ph. 9810080082. The nearest Metro station is Rohini East.
    The other two branches are at: BK-1/4, Shop No. 2, Kaila Godam Road, Shalimar Bagh, Delhi 88 (Ph. 9212045475); and Shop No. 5, 30, Satnam Park, Main Road Chander Nagar, Delhi 51 (Ph. 22023203).
    Prices: Rs. 45 for a plate of two kulche with the accompanying chhole and chutney.
    :thumbsup

6. Meharnisa

Meharnisa Silver IL'ite

Friends,
    I am coming to NEW Delhi on May 1st week.Could you give me some shop names for purchasing garments , shoes,bag & jewels.

7. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Dear Meharnisa,

You can go to the Janpath and Tibetan Market. It is just off Connaught Place, in central New Delhi. It remains open every day. You will find goods from everywhere in India and Tibet here. This market is a treasure trove of handicrafts, shoes, leatherware, cheap jewelry, artifacts, paintings, brassware and hippy clothing.
    This popular and lively market has got a makeover recently. It has something for everyone. But you must be very confident about your bargaining skills before you venture for shopping here!

You can also go to the Lajpat Nagar Market or Central Market. You will find a huge variety of shoes, bags, accessories, clothes and home furnishing items here.

8. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

I feel one of the best eating out options of Delhi is Karim’s. It has about a dozen of branches all over the capital.
    I think every Dehlite knows the location of the main outlet. It is Gali Kababian, near Jama Masjid Gate No.1, Ph. +91-11-23269880, 23264981.
    They have branches at Nizamuddin (Dastarkhwan-e-Karim), C R Park, Zakir Nagar, Patparganj etc.
    But I will always recommend Karim’s at Gali Kababian. It is the best!!

If you have a big group, dinner will cost you around Rs 400 per head. If you go in smaller groups, the cost will be a bit more.

9. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

If we go for shopping at Chandni Chowk, we often grab a bite at any of the following places:

Natraj Bhalla Corner: It is located right next to the Central Bank, midway along Chandni Chowk. It is a cosy first-floor snack bar with a few window seats and a limited menu comprising of Indian, Western and Chinese options.

Paratha Wali Gali: It is opposite the Central Bank, down an alley that leads to the back of the Kanwarji Raj Kumar Sweet Shop. The smell of rich ghee (the lane's hallmark from more than a century dedicated to paratha -making) leads to any of the several tiny rooms squeezed behind counters displaying pure veg food. Here you choose a paratha to go with standard veg dishes, filled with anything from paneer and gobi, to mutter and mooli, all cooked to order - a culinary treat that will set you back around Rs30.

Soni Bhojnalaya: It is situated at Nai Sarak. It is a first-floor restaurant at the top of a yellow staircase opposite Bina Musical Stores, 30m off Chandni Chowk. It serves great thalis in simple environs.

:thumbsup

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  10. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Meharnisa
    I suggest you try Central Market, Lajpat Nagar. The market is easily accessible and there are rows and rows of roadside vendors selling kurtis, salwar suits, artificial jewellery , footwear and accessories as well as home décor items.
    There are excellent upmarket garment stores in Central Market as well like V Mart, Dayalsons, Ritu Wears, Shakuntalam, and Chunmun. There is also a store selling only Rajasthani garments especially for children which is a big favorite with mothers shopping for ghagra/cholis for their children. Another great store is the Westside (a TATA concern) outlet just across the road which has everything from accessories to shirts to towels and even glasses.
    Happy Shopping !:cheers