Granola/dried fruit bars recipe....needed!!!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Gooseberry, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies:

Do you make granola bars or any kind of dried fruit bars or any oatmeal bars AT HOME?
    Please give me the recipe as to how to make it at home.

Thanks
    Sarada

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have made the following bars at home and they are good. I prefer to the granola bars in the market which I don't like as they are too sweet....too many useless calories. You store these bars wrapped in the fridge and just grab one when you need...very convenient for busy households.

Breakfast Bars: Apricot and Cornmeal

Makes 16 servings
    Makes 16 bars

1 cup dried apricots cut in eighths
    1 3/4 cups lowfat milk
    3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
    1/4 cup shortening
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 eggs lightly beaten
    1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sliced almonds

Heat oven to 400F. Grease 9x13x2" pan and flour.

Place apricots in milk and heat to boiling. Remove from heat. Stir in cornmeal until smooth. Cool to room temperature.

Combine shortening, sugar and vanilla in large bowl and cream at medium speed. Stir in cornmeal. Beat in eggs.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cornmeal mixture and mix at low speed until just moistened. Spoon into pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts.

Bake 400F for 18-22 minutes or until top begins to brown and bars pull away from sides of pan. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack. Cut into 3x2" bars and wrap individually in plastic or aluminum foil. Store in refrigerator.

Breakfast Bars: Fruit and Nut

Makes 16 servings

3 tablespoons shortening
    2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 3/4 cups wheat bran
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    3/4 cup currants
    3/4 cup dried figs cut into 1/2" chunks

Heat oven to 375F. Grease 9x13x2 pan.

Combine shortening, sugar, eggs, bran, buttermilk, flour, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until just mixed. Stir in nuts, currants and figs with spoon. Spread evenly over pan.

Bake 375
    F for 18-22 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack. Cut into 2x3" squares and wrap individually in plastic or aluminum foil. Store in refrigerator.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  3. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Thanks Tashidelek for the recipes. I will try them out in this thanksgiving vacation time.

Thanks
    Sarada

4. sumee

sumee Silver IL'ite

Hi Here is my recipe
    1 cups granola lightly crushed;1/2 cup seedless dates,1/4 cup crushed almonds.1/2 cup crushed peanuts,sweet jaggery 1 cup,liqued glucose 2 tablespoon,golden syrup 1 tablp, sweet almond essence 1 tsp.
    Heat a thick bottomed kadai.Add the crushed jaggery and 1/4 cup water.Melt jaggery and continue stirring till the jaggery starts to thicken.Add liqued glucose and golden syrup and continue stirring the jaggery become thick.Now quickly ad the granola,almonds,peanuts, dates,essence and mix everything well and off the gas.Put this mix in a greased plate and flatten with a spatula.when semi cool cut to pieces.Col and serve,:)

5. Gooseberry

Gooseberry Senior IL'ite

Thanks Sumee for the recipe.