Grandpa's Letter

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by silver08, Feb 10, 2012.

1. silver08

silver08 Senior IL'ite

One day, a young man was cleaningout his late grandfather's belongings when he came across a bright redenvelope. Written on the front were the words, "To my grandson."Recognizing his grandfather's handwriting, the boy opened the envelope. A letterinside read:

Dear Grandson,

Years ago you came to me forhelp. You said, "Grandpa, how is it that you've accomplished so much inyour life? You're still full of energy, and I'm already tired of struggling.How can I get that same enthusiasm that you've got?"

I didn't know what to say to youthen. But knowing my days are numbered, I figure that I owe you an answer. Sohere is what I believe.

I think a lot of it has to dowith how a person looks at things. I call it 'keeping your eyes wide open.'

First, realize that life isfilled with surprises, but many are good ones. If you don't keep watching forthem, you'll miss half the excitement. Expect to be thrilled once in a while,and you will be.

When you meet up with challenges,welcome them. They'll leave you wiser, stronger, and more capable than you werethe day before. When you make a mistake, be grateful for the things it taughtyou. Resolve to use that lesson to help you reach your goals.

And always follow the rules. Eventhe little ones. When you follow the rules, life works. If you think you everreally get by with breaking the rules, you're only fooling yourself.

It's also important to decideexactly what you want. Then keep your mind focused on it, and be prepared toreceive it.

But be ready to end up in somenew places too. As you grow with the years, you'll be given bigger shoes tofill. So be ready for endings as well as challenging beginnings.

Sometimes we have to be braveenough to move from the familiar to the unfamiliar. Life isn't just reachingpeaks. Part of it is moving from one peak to the next. If you rest too long inbetween, you might be tempted to quit. Leave the past in the past. Climb thenext mountain and enjoy the view.

Dump things that weigh you downemotionally and spiritually. When an old resentment, belief, or attitudebecomes heavy, lighten your load. Shed those hurtful attitudes that slow youdown and drain your energy.

Remember that your choices willcreate your successes and your failures. So consider all the pathways ahead,and decide which ones to follow. Then believe in yourself, get up, and getgoing.

And be sure to take breaks oncein a while. They'll give you a renewed commitment to your dreams and acheerful, healthy perception of the things that matter the most to you.

Most important of all, never giveup on yourself. The person that ends up a winner is the one who resolves towin. Give life everything you've got, and life will give its best back to you.

Love always,

Grandpa