1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Mum's recipes and remedies for kids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by akila, May 20, 2005.

1. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

And for everyday purpose, for kids as well as adults, while boiling water, add a tsp of jeera or ajwain for the entire qty which is good for digestion, cold and many other relief from minor problems.

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Similarly to the above water pattern, make a habit of taking pepper jeera rice before starting lunch or dinner which helps in so many ways like to reduce the congestion, cold and many respiratory problems.

Dry fry pepper, jeera n powder, store them in a container. While feeding the kids, take 2 pinches of powder, add cooked rice accordingly with ghee & salt. Then, proceed with yr regular rice or rotis.

This will avoid gas, indigestion etc. As usual, adults can also take this rice in a smaller qty.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  3. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Vasambu powder for diarrhea / dysentry

Hi,

Vasambu powder (it is an herbal powder, that you can get in ayurvedic shops in India)is good for treating kid's having diarrhea/dysentry.

For the infants, you can apply the powder externally around the naval by mixing it in water. This will help stop diarrhea and cures stomach ache too.

For slightly grown up kids (above an year), you can give them internally mixing the powder with ghee/honey, for it is sligthly bitter in taste.

4. manju_j

manju_j New IL'ite

Remedy for Constipation

Soak golden raisins in hot water for 30 minutes. Squeeze the raisins gently and feed the water for treating constipation.

This works for babies less than12 months.

5. vatsi

vatsi Bronze IL'ite

How to avoid cold?

Hi frens,
    My baby is 10 mths. This is winters so i just want to know wat shd i give her to avoid cold. i give half almond daily. is there any thing else that can i give her.
    Thanks

6. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

giving nuts at 10 months????

Hi,

As far as I know, giving nuts(soak and grind) can begin when they are atleast 1 1/2 yrs old as they could end up in choking, hence the dr. themselves dont appreciate it. Anyways, it is upto you..

Since I also live in northeast, can understand yr problem well. For my daughter, nothing worked out; mean, no prevention. So, whenever she gets cold, use to take steps which will reduce the severity and guess that is only the option as cold and fever are uncontrollable ones for some kids.

Try avoiding sprouts when she is having cold. Put on her 2 to 3 layers other than sweater incl. thermals even when she is at home instead of 2 thick layers. That is what, the doc always says and sometimes, it is working in my kids cases. Minimize the room temperature if it is not water heater which will cause cough and switch on humidifier on 24 hrs. Make sure she drinks plenty of water to avoid the dryness which will cause cough.

Vit. C is important and it always fights against cold only in some kids' cases. For my son, it is totally opposite whereas, in my daughter's case, she is fine with juice. Keep antibacterial solution in yr bathroom and dont forget to wash yr hands for a min particularly those who are going out. Keep the kitchen and bathroom clean where the infection starts.

Heard from many of my friends that homeopathy medicine is very effective though dont have personal experience. But, would like to consult once I visit India this year. It is like with the first symptom itself, they are giving the prescribed medicine and it is not allowing to proceed further. As it does not have side effects, many people are following that.

If possible, include jeera and pepper podi everyday a pinch or two in yr daughter's food as pepper has this quality to reduce or will control coming from cold. Drinking tolerable hot water adding omam or jeera(a pinch or two) regularly is effective than taking cold or heated, cold water atleast in winter season.

Honey is an another ingredient which will control cold upto some level. So, atleast every alternative days, mix with milk or directly apply on her tonuge as sometimes, it might cause constipation!!!

If any other points come to my mind, will let you know. Until then, take care of yr baby..

Rgds.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Granmom's recipe

Hai,
    I do not about US. But I always make it a point to make jeera pepper rasam and give it with well cooked rice and ghee to my family. It takes away the cold and even when you have fever you can take it. The powder for this rasam can be prepared with pepper, jeera, bengal gram and urad dal fried well. Fry lots of curry leaves. Grind all these to a smooth powder. Add this to tamarind water along with coriander powder, salt hing, haldi. You can adjust the taste and then boil well. This goes very well manathakali seeds fried in ghee. If okay, try this.
    varloo

8. Karthiga

Karthiga Bronze IL'ite

remedies for kids

hi,
    Children having breast feed may often get gas problem and stomach swelling. Take a pinch of asafoetida powder and mix it in hot water [ two spoons] and feed the child, and you can watch the instant remedy.

thanks
    karthiga.

9. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Teething problem.

Hi Mrs.Chithra & other experts,

One of my friend's kid is in now teething and hence, he is cranky on and off. The doc advised to give paracetamol, but she is looking for some other alternative. Even with gripe water(non alcoholic) & orajel, she does not find any cure.

Any other effective remedies can u suggest??

Thanks and waiting for yr replies.

10. flame

flame New IL'ite

Hello.

I use to have a recipe for yellow milk and i cant remember it anymore
    I do know that there is milk...nutmeg and honey in it but there is an ingreadent that is yellow that also goes in it. and i cant remember the name of it. i can see the bottle but not the name... if anyone could help me in this i would really appreacate it..

thanks.