Good Yeast Brand

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by vmtaurus, Sep 5, 2010.

1. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Can you tell me a good brand of dry yeast for baking bread/pizza dough etc? I used the brand 'Eagle' (available in Bangalore, where I stay) and I somehow did not get enough 'rise' from my breads.
    Is there any other brand which is good? I know fresh yeast is an option, but sometimes I don't have enough time to get it, and hence rely on dry yeast.
    Thanks in advance!
    V

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Are you proofing your yeast before using? You should put the dry yeast in some warm water (not hot) with some sugar...so say 1/2 c water and 1 tablespoon sugar and leave it until it bubbles up. Then proceed with your recipe. Don't add the salt until you are mixing with the dry ingredients as salt will kill the yeast.

3. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Tashi for your response. Yes, I do. But I do not see as many bubble as I see in cookery shows / you tube videos.
    That was why I got a doubt about whether the quality of the yeast was good enough.
    I was adding salt along with the dough, guess I should do that towards the end...

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have seen recipes that recommend that the salt be added in the proofing.....I don' t know why they say that as it is a retardant. Mix the salt with flour and knead it in then.

You could also start a sourdough starter and use that for bread although if you don' t like the sour taste then forget that idea. There are instructions on how to do that I am sure on the net although I have not done it myself. Sourdough starter is self perpetuating with care. Be sure to try the pancakes if you go ahead with it.

5. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Sounds good...let me try the sour dough starter and see...

6. priyam41

priyam41 New IL'ite

I have used "Eagle" and "Kwality". I have had problems with them too. They sometimes work but most often do not work. I have heard of a brand call "Gloripan" that is very good. I am yet to try it myself. It is available at General Food Additives.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
  7. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I have used "BEST " brand apart from "eagle" and "kwality" and "bakers", I get a really good rise if I proof properly even if I dont add maida (and make bread with multigrain atta!!) - with less kneading, I keep it overnite in the fridge for all that gluten to form :)

Only once I had to throw the entire packet as it did not bubble at all while proofing !!! So, if yours doesnt rise, try to buy it from some other grocery shop, maybe the storage condition also makes a difference :)