Good to take prenatal vitamins in advance? as I am planning to conceive.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Mehana, May 14, 2013.

1. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to get advice from expertise here...

It's good to take prenatal vitamins in advance when planning for pregnancy?? if so how many months before should I start?.

Thanks in advance...

2. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Usually they say it's good to take it through the conceiving process. I used to take multivitamins while ttc ( which I stopped when nothing was happening) and then upped to prenatals when my test was positive. Like I said, the doctors here like to recommend prenatals while you are in ttc.

3. tin3tin

tin3tin Senior IL'ite

My doctor suggested to have it for atleast 3 months before I start TTC(but it is not a rule) - I wanted to wait until this year so when I asked her if it was okay to already start having, she said it will be good to have it atleast for 3 months. My doctor's office gave me some samples so I could choose based on which vitamin did not make me nauseous.
    Prenatals are rich in folic acid which help in preventing abnormalities to neural tube(which becomes the spinal cord & brain). Since this is formed within the 1st month of conception it is better to take it when TTC.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. vabzee008

vabzee008 Gold IL'ite

yes,being a doctor i would advise you to take at least vit B12 & folic acid supplements 1-1.5 months before you plan to conceive,as it would decrease chances of anomalies in fetus

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  5. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi,

It is advisable to have prenatals atleast before 3 months. Especially Folic Acid which helps foetus for developing spine.
    On top of it usually person will not get required vitamins + DHA in her day-to-day meals irrespective of fruits, veggies, milk etc.,. So this suits generally for all.

Hope it cleared your doubts

6. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Great, thank you all. I appreciate all your answers, really clarifies my doubt.

Bow

I will check with my gyn.

thanks again!

7. JazzyJazz

JazzyJazz Silver IL'ite

Recommended is 3 months before TTC to start taking prenatal vitamins which has 400 mcg of folic acid and 10mcg of Vit D if there isn't enough sunshine in the place you live. It really helps as once you fall pregnant and nausea sets in, we get deficient of soo many Vitamins and Minerals. Also, it would be great if you could have 2 tall glasses of milk in the morning and night for your calcium levels.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Thanks JazzyJazz for your input.

9. tharuvetri

tharuvetri New IL'ite

Hello,
    Plz help me in choosing a prenatal supplement from CVS pharmacy . I am TTC . Thank you.

10. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

Hello,

I have taken them since I was in high school as regular multi-vitamins make me sick.