1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Good Or Bad ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, May 16, 2017.

1. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Not saying everything about today is good or better, we have lost out on some areas but let us get rid of the rose tinted glasses while looking at the past.

Any idea about the infant mortality rates, death rate of mothers during delivery?
    Heard of child marriages and child pregnancies? struggles of widowhood?
    Sex for pleasure - are you sure women had much say in the pleasure part or for that matter in the procreation part?

Woman have to put up with a lot of s**t , sometimes caused by other women.
    I have great admiration for my grandmas, they were strong, endured a lot of difficulties yet brought up their children well but I feel enraged at the way society treated them.

Disproportionate wealth distribution in communities, suppression against elders , gross misuse of power, I could go on. Yes, we lost out on some good stuff, we need to recaliberate and progress, but we also lost some of the bad stuff too.

PS- everything we ingest is chemical. it is a misconception that toxins exist only in the synthetic chemicals, Nature has a lot of potent stuff, we have studied it for centuries, but lost some of it along the way ...

Kamla, Gauri03, Mistt and 1 other person like this.
  2. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir, I have heard many complain that modern girls are not tolerant, they do not know how to adjust and so on. But one corner of my heart is glad, glad because girls are getting educated, they have a career and can follow their interests. Adjusting to others comes from the heart and I am sure even in the past there must have been problems in a family.Now I feel husbands and wives share the work. Of course there are exceptions. :) Regards, Lakshmi

Sunshine04 and Mistt like this.
  3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

All good points. I do tend to view the past with rose-tinted glasses for the mere reason that I have never had to live in it. The one thing I don't like is the way Indians live now, neither here nor there. Read the article, "The Conflict between Tradition and Modernity in India" which is linked to in my signature for some enlightenment on this subject.

4. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi dear I agree with each and every sentence of yours. Times have changed now. Today's youngsters dont like to follow some customs, staying away during their monthly periods they dont like. We also used to stay away during that time . We were not given pillow or bedsheet. We could eat only after my mother, grandmother eat. This was in the earlier times but later it changed. My mother used to follow all the customs, she only will serve food. We were not allowed to touch the food while eating. Now a days everyone eats at the dining table. They serve themselves. After six we were not allowed to o out. So many restrictions were there, but present time girls are free birds . We could marry the person our parents selected. But their selection was good.

I think this should be in the finest forum for everyone to read

LakshmiKMBhat and Umanga like this.
  6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

It's easy to romanticize a simpler way of life, where communities were self-sustaining and people were interconnected. There are certain benefits for a livelihood like that, the work day is only as long as the sun shines and while it is constant work, they are doing it together, so it is a better way of life. The sexual freedom in agricultural communities are far greater than city life and the work is strenuous for both men and women - so there isn't any time for depression or anxiety.

But, let's be honest, not everyone gets to live that type of life. There are people who are marginalized because of the order of society, and wrongs can be ignored based on family status. A patriarchal society works only if they do take care of the women. When women are punished for family situations, infertility, husband's health, etc, there is absolutely no way a woman can escape that. In fact, it is the other women who meet out the punishment. And even agricultural societies have their share of mental illness - it's just not labeled.

What I'm trying to say is, what worked there and then, does not work now. And while the now is not perfect, it is an improvement.

7. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

i think schooling is better in us with a more practical approach

8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I'm a big supporter of tech schools. Not everyone is cut out to be an engineer or doctor.

9. LakshmiKMBhat

But, that is a very sweeping statement to make about all Indians :))

10. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you so much, yes times have changed :) Regards, Lakshmi