Good Morning America. Is The Reality Starting To Sink In Now?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rakhii, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Its they for me as idont live in States.
    I am having trouble understanding your analogy here though. Did you mean it literally when you refereed to Opioid?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Trump's tweet about the three UCLA basketball players caught shoplifting in China, was kind of kiddish or silly in how he took to social media asking for a thank you: "Do you think the three UCLA Basketball Players will say thank you President Trump? They were headed for 10 years in jail!"

A little like a MIL asking the DIL if she will finally get around to writing thank you notes.

But, it can't be denied that the three players were really lucky to get out of China so fast. Whether or not Trump or the timing of his visit had anything to do with their quick return can never be known with certainty, but they were for sure looking at possibility of years of jail time in China after a for-formality trial.

They did make a formal apology and each one thanked Trump and the Chinese govt. It could have stopped there. Very sad to see one of the player's dad make this statement:
    "'They try to make a big deal out of nothing sometimes.' I'm from L.A. I've seen a lot worse things happen than a guy taking some glasses. My son has built up enough character that one bad decision doesn't define him. Now if you can go back and say when he was 12 years old he was shoplifting and stealing cars and going wild, then that's a different thing."

They were supposed to represent the country and their college, and they are sportsmen... shoplifted and confessed to it. Brought disgrace to the country right when President was visiting. And then the dad says this!

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Parents tend to get all riled up when others are critical of their offspring, even if it is only an implied dig by a man-child president! I wonder whether these players filed their escapade under "A Lark" as they cheerfully set about their shoplifting adventure. They ought to know better. Giddy during a first trip abroad perhaps? Influenced by Ryan Lochte et al? Here's may favorite lark, this one from a Chinese twelve-year-old (well, thirteen, actually) in Egypt, who I am sure subsequently "built up enough character".:lol:

Note that there are no "sportsmen" (ought that to be "sportspersons"? "sportspeople"?) in the United States - interestingly, the word is seldom used. They are all mere "athletes"**, only there to compete and win, nothing loftier.

**From the Greek "athlon" -> "prize" and "athlein" -> "compete for a prize".

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  4. Rihana

Come to think of it, not sure which is the most common term. 'Players' perhaps? Athletes is for track and field sports?

5. sokanasanah

Sure. I have senn"athletes" used rather broadly, "players" of course, but "sportsmen" is relatively rare.

6. Rihana

Isn't "unsportsman like behavior" or something similar to that used to mean "this is just not cricket"?

7. sokanasanah

Yes indeed. However, "players" are seldom referred to as "sportsmen"! Here's a google N-gram, showing that the word hit an all time low in the 2000s. I bet it would be lower still if one were to restrict the search to the US.

Here's another graph showing the corresponding rise of the word "athlete".

Rihana likes this.
  8. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

9. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Trump demonstrated that his new bff Xi jinping can do him the kind of favors, that he himself couldn't do in USA. When US citizens are in legal jeopardy in foreign countries, they ought to get consular assistance. Nothing more.
    Dark skinned people get greater scrutiny in China's upscale shops already. HK, Shanghai and Guangzhou are places where africans, and darker skinned asians get an attendant jump out of nowhere and attach themselves to the dark browsers, and pester and rush the shopper to make a choice and get out.
    One malaysian (chinese) friend commented that these guys got off easy in China; if it were in home country, they'd have been shot already.

10. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

Agreed