1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Good bye Teflon, hello non-stick cast iron

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by BeeAmma, Aug 5, 2010.

1. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi Tina,

Thanks for interjecting :). I have 2 cast iron tawas from India. In the US, I purchased a lodge brand griddle and lodge brand skillet.

For dosa, currently I am using the one that I got from India. Re-seasoned it by baking it in the oven, it seems fine so far.

I did notice the ad for the ceramic pan on this page yesterday.:)Very good ad-generating software.

2. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi pridelady,
    After each use, I

• lightly scrub and rinse with water the pan
    • dry it with cloth or paper towels.
    • Then heat it on the gas on medium low for 5 minutes.
    • Dip newspaper or paper towel in oil and rub on the surface.

This will retain the non-stick coating.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Hi Priyanka,

I can ask my mom and get back on this thread. However, ones I purchased in the US are lodge brand.

As far as the ones from India go, will check with my mom and get back.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

BeeAmma:
    Well I didn't see that ad for the green type pans (don' t get me going on those horrible popups...I could write volumns)....I saw them advertised on on the shopping channels (Todd English brand) and the demos were amazing.

I remember seeing Paula Dean mention that to clean rust off cast iron you rub it with a piece of raw potato. I don't remember if salt was involved.

5. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

<LI id=jsArticleStep1>Here is the solution ....how to remove rust from cast ironware.
    Step1
    Depending on the pan's size, pour 2 to 4 tbsp. salt into the middle of the pan. Add an equal amount of vegetable oil.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep2>Step 2
    Scrub the pan vigorously with a folded paper towel, concentrating on the rusted spots but covering all surfaces with the oil and salt mixture. Add more salt or oil as needed.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep3>Step 3
    For more serious rust spots, scrub with fine steel wool.
    <LI id=jsArticleStep4>Step 4
    Wash the pan with dishwashing liquid and rinse well with hot water. Dry completely.

Thanks,
    OOPALL.

6. sheshin

sheshin Gold IL'ite

I too said good bye for all of my non stick cooking set after came to know about health effects with them. I bought hard anodized cooking vessels from India which are so good for making curries or sweets.

7. sansam

sansam New IL'ite

Dear Sheshin,Can you please tell me which brand of hard anodised cookware you bought from India?Is it FUTURA by HAWKINS?How is cooking in these vessels?Can you do sauting with less oil in this?Will be thankful for your reply.