1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gold anklets - is it wrong to wear them?

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by Marzipan, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Marzipan

Marzipan Gold IL'ite

I was in London this summer to buy jewellery and was staying with a distant relative of mine during my visit. I was keen to buy anklets there. I have always wanted to own a pair but we could not find any silver anklets in the shops that we asked and I am really not too fond of silver anklets either. Silver oxidizes fast. I have a chain in pure silver and even after wearing it once, I have to clean it in salt water to get back the shine.

But this relative of mine was dead against wearing gold on the feet saying "how can you wear something so precious as gold on your feet". She told me that her nephew had bought a pair of gold anklets for his wife but this relative and other elders had managed to stop her from wearing those. Why are the feet considered such lowly part? Is it because your gold anklets may touch the "dirty" earth beneath? But isn't gold itself digged from the dirty earth and rivers? Sigh.

I was watching a couple of weddings and engagements on Youtube and could see that some of the brides were wearing thin gold anklets on their feet and would love to buy a pair for myself one day. Does anyone here wear gold anklets? How do you tackle people who think gold should not be worn on your feet? I know you can by goldish looking anklets that are not real gold in some stores. Are these of good quality, as in can you take a bath in them and use them regularly, without it wearing off too much?

afcpreethi and anika987 like this.

2. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

It is old myths!
    Our Old Wives said, Women must not wear gold under waist!

But Now days many can wear Gold Anklets! That is not issue!
    If you wish to wear gold anklets, you can go ahead!

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I have gold bracelets.I wore them for many years.The ones I have tend to get loose and slide off....have to get them shortened a bit ,then I will wear again. They were given by my mil who doesn't like silver or artificial stuff.

No one in my family on both sides have commented...though friends often have.

1 person likes this.
  4. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

My grandmother used to tell me that during the olden days gold anklets were a symbol of royalty and could only be worn by queens.

Even in modern day mythological books, many queens are mentioned to be wearing gold anklets.

I don't think there was any rule about not wearing gold below the waist, as the 'asanas' and thrones on which the royal families sat or even their beds were often made of gold.

1 person likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Even I have heard this.
    Another reason I have heard is that Gold represents Laxmi...hence shouldn't be worn on feet.

1 person likes this.
  6. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

I dont think there us a rule against it, you should wear it if you like!

1 person likes this.
  7. desichica

desichica Silver IL'ite

I have never seen gold anklets.:hide:. Three things, we always have in silver: the band that goes around your waist, key ring, and anklets. I would worry about losing gold anklets more than any other gold things (since they are at feet, it may be hard to notice if it falls off). It should be allowed though since all the gods/kings/queens are dressed heavily in gold jewelry from top to bottom. I have never heard of wearing gold on feet is bad

1 person likes this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My grandmother and mom's generation disapprove of wearing gold on the feet, as they feel it is disrespectful to the Goddess Lakshmi.
    My cousin's wife's family have no such qualms (same community). There was a minor scandal at their wedding over 20 years ago, when she turned up in beautiful gold payals. They could not understand what all the ladies in our family were tittering about :lol: !

3 people like this.
  9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Just to discourage us in asking for such an expensive jewelry.

4 people like this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Poovai,
    This excuse came in handy at said cousin's wedding, when all the girls started asking ;-) !

2 people like this.