1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Going Dairy Free - How To Replace Milk?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by Benadryl, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Benadryl

Benadryl Silver IL'ite

I am wanting to go dairy free for a month and see how that affects my health.
    The only dairy products I use are milk, curd and cheese. What are the replacements for milk and curd ? I can easily source vegan cheese.

I am used to Indian chai (boiled with tea leaf and milk) - what do I replace the milk with ? Google search shows soy milk or almond milk - but can I boil them ? What other changes should I make to get a good cup of tea ?

Has anyone tried to do the same ? What were your results ?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have slowly reduced my use of cows milk as my asthma symptoms seem much improved without it: a lot less mucus and congestion. I started with almond milk but I have now switched to Ripple milk that is made from pea protein. I have not tried boiling it but I add it to the tea after boiling and straining, and microwave for a few seconds if it needs to be hotter. It's not perfect but passable.
    Since I have not found a good yogurt substitute I take regular whole cows milk yogurt but in small portions. I have tried various coconut, soy, cashew yogurts etc and the plain ones are all unappealing to me. The flavored ones are somewhat better.
    I would suggest getting small sizes of the various plant milks out there: cashew, almond, oat, pea, pecan etc and seeing which one you like best. If you feel like it, these can also be made at home and benefit is that there won't be any additives like the gums that are often used to thicken the commercial versions.

Benadryl likes this.
  3. Minie34

Minie34 Bronze IL'ite

Almond Milk is good but dont know if it can be boiled.