1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

God ! Help me with the fine prints

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jpatma, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Modernity is a hassle. Everyday I am bombarded with news ,information, free advice from all corners of this planet. One such was Be wary of the adulterated milk product from China

It is suppose to contain melamine. All I know of melamine is cups and plates on my dinner table. Now I fear ending up on the dinner table when eating a bar of chocolate from China.

There was this case of people dropping like flies after eating Rojak a local dish in Singapore. These news troubles me tremendously.

As a result of these chronicles, I am trying to be "informed consumer". I am choosy of what I eat, and want to know the product origin. I am quietly boycotting some foods from some countries. I know I am at the risk of infringing free trade agreement and will be hauled to The Hague, may face the wrath world trade organization, but why bother , this is desperate act to protect my health.

As “born again “ informed consumer, I take time to read all food labels. But my aging eyesight is a hindrance. I can no longer look at chocolate and decide whether I will be cup or plate on dinner table due to the presence of melamine or add pounds on my own waist.

I feel something dodgy about these labels, the product and names are well designed even to Stevie Wonder, then follows the company name and then the vital information is at the bottom which drops from 12 to 6 points

The infamous “small prints” comes into play when you want a compensation in insurance. The nutrients are printed for young who have good eye sight, at youth we don’t care what we eat.

Even my reading glasses are inadequate to read those prints. Reading labels is like talking to the lawyer who is trying to impress with jargon. Now I need magnifying glass like Sherlock Holmes. What I see is generic terms like sodium Bisulite, Sil 520, all these freak me out. The term ”those preservative that are not harmful for bodies”- so evasive.

So I came back home and looked at all the groceries , wondering to eat or not to eat, Then I heard a laugh. Guess what ! My soul companion said “ jaya –even my fine prints no one reads. Human beings go the world supermarket and buy wealth, fame, luxury, etc etc, hoping it will bring more happiness,& life will be better, satisfy their hunger for fame and power and wealth, but never looked at the fine prints I had written that these are “nashwar”, perishable- enjoy the wealth but don’t be obsessed- No one reads my fine prints. You realize that these are transient only when it leaves you and then realize " God ! I didn’t read the fine prints".bonk

Jaya

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear jaya,
    you are the one who will have spiritual finishing touch in your post. you compare the white towel with soul. now prints in the commodities to our creators print.it is true. we are very much worried about the worldly pleasures and spend our valuable time in possessing them. but to have a good mind we need a healthy body. so to some extent we should take care of the facts of healthy body also.
    as you put it humorously,the essential facts have been printed in such small letters so it will become an ordeal to read it.
    now i think you can read mine:). lovely post.
    with love
    pad

3. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Jaya, lovely post on fine prints both spiritual and material.

We always tend to miss out on reding the finer points and just concentrate on the bold ones. When it hits hard only then we think of evaluating the finer points.

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear dear Jaya,

I was wondering about the title, my mind went off at a tangent
    and i imagined the way people advertise their products or policies without really mentioning the drawbacks and disadvantages involved... but i was waiting for the catchline in your posts that invariably connects spirituality to the illusory reality...and i wasn't wrong nor did i have to wait too long to read the incredible way in which you wove the Ultimate Truth in a few simple words...:clap

That the aspirations for success in material life with the attendant accoutrements of riches and other so-called ingredients for happiness are ephemeral have been weft as the 'finest' of fine print, that none of this goes with us when we pass on... if we only knew to read and understand them...

"Then I heard a laugh. Guess what ! My soul companion said “ jaya –even my fine prints no one reads. Human beings go the world supermarket and buy wealth, fame, luxury, etc etc, hoping it will bring more happiness,& life will be better, satisfy their hunger for fame and power and wealth, but never looked at the fine prints I had written that these are “nashwar”, perishable- enjoy the wealth but don’t be obsessed- No one reads my fine prints. You realize that these are transient only when it leaves you and then realize " God ! I didn’t read the fine prints".bonk

:thumbsupI have no words to describe the elation that overcomes me to realise that we share the same penchant for the Truth, Jaya, my prana-sakhi....Bow

Jai Bhavani Maa
    Love,
    Padma

5. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Hi jaya
    A good post starting with consumer awareness & difficulty of fine prints to end it spritually with the fine prints of our destiny which we cant read. The small inner voice which get lost in all the noise of mayavi world & its attractions .Nice comparison.

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya

As usual good thought provoking post.

love
    viji

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

my dear jay,
    lovely post...and this time i understood in the first read:)

see, u have learnt to write for ordinary mortals like me..:thumbsup

I am not overly particular about any of the things we pick up in the sense that i do not spend countless hours checking the labels(of course i check the expiry date:) or buying only organic stuff..well my forefathers lived quite healthy and if i have their genes, God pity the others i may live up to a hundred (aiyyo even the thought is scary:)

Also fully aware of HIS fine prints ..I do enjoy a lot of comforts but can smile in their absence too.

8. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear paddu,
    Your prints are very clear and legible. I agree & believe that we have to take care of our wealth and health ,infact i believe we shd enjoy our life, but never forget that Divine has created us for some purpose.
    Dont give too much thought abt what iam saying, you have proved that you can read fine prints - observed from the post " culprit or victim".
    Jaya

9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Roopa ! nice to hear from you.
    Actually some of the ingredients in some food stuffs are ambigous, when something like "milk from china " occurs then we start worrying. Some countries are very lax with their quality control.
    Jaya

10. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Devatman padma,

Thank you , your fb reassures me that iam in right direction. Har saas want to breath the divine name, har mod i want to see HIM/HER.

Ectasy can be experienced thinking of Divine. i don't need to elaborate since you know Devi maa's color, roop and everything can be seen every where in the world, we just have to look at it.

Without your fb my post will never be complete.
    Jaya