1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Go Goa : Wildlife in Goa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by amihere, Oct 31, 2011.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

We had planned to visit Ponda today, which has a spice plantation, Bondla wildlife sanctuary and Khandepur caves. Manguesh temple was also included in the itinerary. So after breakfast we got on our, now ours own;) , bike and started to Margao. After again feeding the bike full we left Margao to Ponda. To visit Ponda you have to take the NH (we have to take both 17 & 4A). After a ride of around an hour we reached Manguesh temple.The temple was built around in 1700s and Lord Shiva is the deity here. The temple as such is not so big or huge, but once you enter the temple, you suddenly feel at peace. There is some kind of cooling effect, which cools both your body and mind. There are lots of shops lined outside the temple, a usual site near any tourist places.

From here we planned to visit the caves as it’s on the way to Bondla sanctuary from the temple. The day had become so hot by then. Khandepur is a really small town and you won’t notice you have reached the place. I say this, because we didn’t notice we have crossed it and had travelled 6more kilometers and already reached the junction from where there is a deviation to sanctuary. Sanctuary is around 14Kms from the NH. Since we already reached there, we decided to visit the caves on our return journey. After a long ride by around 12PM we reached the sanctuary. After a few KMs the ride is so lovely. The road is narrow and with much curves and inclines, you can see forest on your sides. You feel so close to nature, especially when on a bike. But I was a little afraid too and hoping that wild animals wont plan for a surprise or rather a shocking visit ;) The entry was free since 01-10th Oct it was wildlife week. Else the ticket will cost around 10/- per adult, 10/- for vehicle and 15/- for still camera. You have to enter your vehicle number and entry time in a register in ticket counter. Finally when we reached I was glad we had a pleasant ride because there isn’t much to see other than the everywhere seen (I mean Zoo) Tiger, Leopard, Tortoise, Snakes, Crocodile, Bear, Deer etc. There is a garden, canteen and Toilet. We were hungry by now since it was lunch time by the time we finished roaming around in the Zoo. Canteen has only Bread omlette in its menu, so we decided to have lunch once we reach Ponda town and curbed our hunger with a couple of bourbons.

Khandepur is only 6Kms once we reach the NH from Bondla. The sign board to the caves is hidden by the bushes. While coming from sanctuary towards Ponda we have to take a right to reach the caves. One thing about the roads that lead to tourist places in Goa is, you can’t be sure whether you are in the right one. But the locals are so helpful and they give you right directions, never were we mislead. So we believed the guy when he asked us to take the next right, but to our disappointment the road ended after a few metres! We went back to the main road and enquired again, and the people there said it is the way to the cave. (We were expecting the caves to be real “Caves” as seen in films and all:bonk). Finally one guy came with us on his bike, we had to take another right from the small road. And we reached the caves!!! The only evidence that those really are old caves is a rusted ASI board amid the bushes. The caves are very badly maintained, all over the place it was bushes and weeds. Soon after seeing these caves we decided to cut out Aravalem caves from our North Goa itinerary ;) By the time we reached Ponda it was 2PM, but DH and me were not hungry now due to the biscuits. So we decided to have it from Colva, around 5Kms from Margao.

Parking our bike near beach we started searching the restaurants I had zeroed in from sites, but it was so hot and sunny we decided to have it from a restaurant near the beach called “Kentucky” I won’t suggest it to anyone. The food was not so great plus the guy who served had a kind of attitude as if just eat something and leave the place kind of. Anyway after lunch we walked along the beach, the most favorite activity of ours in Goa ;) and saw a restaurant called Boomerang which could be said is kind of on the beach. After a long walk and once we were fried enough (the sun was fiercely hot) we went to Benaulim beach which is nearby and on the way to Varca(from Colva, bypassing Margao).Benaulim is a calm beach compared to Colva, since we had already got more than required sun for the day we headed back to our hotel without our walkJ On the way we had a nice soothing and refreshing cold coffee from a café in Varca. Forgot the café name, it’s on the right hand side when coming from Margao and near an ice-cream parlor. The café is small but well maintained with a nice ambience:cheers

After a refreshing shower and a quick dinner we hit the bed for a good night making plans to visit the Ramada beach early next morning to play in the waterJ

Go Goa Part I
    Go Goa Part II

2. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Lovely description ami.... great to see that you had lots of fun traveling and sight-seeing. I love the fact that you always give links to perfect descriptions of those places for us to check them out. Thanks for sharing your beautiful experience :)

Akila

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Akila, thanks for the fb:) Before each of my vaccation I do a lot of review work through net. So I think, if its helping me I ought to help someone out there. So I try to include all possible information in my blogs. Thanks for liking my blog dear:)