Glycomet And Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by planetx, Jun 20, 2017.

1. planetx

planetx Junior IL'ite

My endocrinologist asked me to lose weight before getting pregnant. I'm 79 KG. I have thyroid and insulin resistance problem. I maintained a healthy weight before marriage with diet and exercise. But because of severe back pain after marriage I'm unable to go to gym. I took Glucose tolerance test and the levels were quite high. Fasting level was 100. After 1 hour it was 228 and after 2 hrs it was 179. My doctor said I have a high chance of getting diabetes in pregnancy and asked to not get pregnant for at least next 6 months. She further added that TSH level should be reduced to 2.5 though my thyroid levels are under control. She asked me to take Glycomet SR 500 mcg. I have took glycomet a few yrs back. I lost abt 10 Kg. But after I stopped taking it I regained all the lost weight at a rapid rate. No diet could help me from putting on weight.

I'm afraid it will happen again. Anybody who took glycomet for PCOS/insulin resistance can you tell me how you maintained the weight after you stopped taking the medication?

2. Babyhope86

Babyhope86 Silver IL'ite

Hi @planetx ,

First of all plz don't panic. This is not a big prob.. There are several women who are above 85Kgs and conceiving normally.

Foremost, you could cut down all your sugar intake. Instead of the plain white sugar you can substitute with Jaggery/panan kalkandu/panai vellam - brown sugar.

Cut down all synthetic fruit juices which has a hell lot of carb sugars -> And drink fresh fruit juices / eat whole fruits.

I was on Metformin treatment for 3yrs and after I stopped allopathic meds, I stopped even the sugar intake and follwed the above. I don't eat the readymade corn flakes/biscuits/snack items.

I was 80Kg in Dec 2016 and now I'm 71Kgs. I didn't do much exercises. I substituted millets instead of rice totally.

So don't lose hope. For PCOS, white based products are actually an enemy! And instead of the normal low fat milk, I started consuming only 1 glass of whole milk [Green packet Aavin - around 4% fat], instead of several servings as tea/coffee - which is needed for regulating the insulin resistance metabolism.

Every morning on empty stomach add few drops of lemon in warm water and drink regularly.

let your mind calm and plan a healthy diet.

Cheers!!

Shanvy likes this.
  3. planetx

planetx Junior IL'ite

Thank you for the great suggestions. I don't have PCOS. But my periods got irregular lately. My doctor suggested to take pelvic scan I had corpus luteum cyst in left ovary. After taking meprate tablets I got my periods after 3 months.

My doctor asked me to include millets just once a week. I have completely stopped taking oily food, snacks, soft drinks et all. But still not able to maintain weight without glycomet. I eat everything in moderation and have cut down rice intake too. I have rice in afternoon only. I take coffee 2 to 3 cups a day. I include sugar only in coffee and don't eat sweets. I will try substituting sugar as you suggested.

Babyhope86 likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

You need to understand how sugar in all forms and your insulin resistance. And maybe this article here can help you

Fat vs Sugar in the war on insulin resistance - That Sugar Film

Sugar in any form has almost similar calories. Be it fruits, jaggery or regular sugar. The only thing is in fruits it is natural, in jaggery before processing and regular sugar it is processed using chemicals which inturn are harmful.

Once you understand insulin resistance, look at how you can help yourself. There are no short cuts dear. Control and consistency and moderations play the role. And exercise too.

Babyhope86 likes this.
  5. Babyhope86

Babyhope86 Silver IL'ite

Great going @planetx .. I think you are already in the track... then try to start some exercises and yoga... then you must definitely reduce holistically as well as externally!

Good luck :)

planetx and Shanvy like this.
  6. Babyhope86

Babyhope86 Silver IL'ite

Hi @Shanvy

thanks for the enlightening info.... absolutely sugars in any form are going to be metabolized as fat... but the fact of moderating and overcoming it is the real goal...

nice to know :)
    Cheers..!

7. Babyhope86

Babyhope86 Silver IL'ite

Hi @Shanvy

thanks for the enlightening info.... absolutely sugars in any form are going to be metabolized as fat... but the fact of moderating and overcoming it is the real goal...

nice to know :)
    Cheers..!

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Exactly.

Join us in the lunch thread. Maybe we all can brainstorm together on how to work on a better combination of food

9. Myladdu

Myladdu Senior IL'ite

Plantx
    For insulin resistance along with food diet exercise is also important. Join a nearby gym. Or try to do fast walking regularly.
    Reduce all kind of sugar even in coffee. For good result discontinue coffee and just have milk. Caffeine is not a good source when you are trying for baby check with your doctor. You don't have to cut rice. Just reduce the amount you take.
    Take food in intervals. Munch some snakes in between like fruit cheese nuts salads. Salad is not a whole food so don't substitute salad for rice.
    For your back pain try physiotherapy. Because it's difficult when you get pregnant with pain.
    Ask your doctor if there is any substitute for the medicine. Op I too lost weight after taking Metformin same as glycomet.so my doctor stoped it.but for me no problem after that.
    Good luck for your journey. You will be soon blessed with a baby.

10. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

You could definitely fight back those extra weight but it is just that with the help of glycomet it more easier.
    Stop processed food, consume complex carbs plus protein combo in your diet. A regular brisk walk would definitely help you loose weight more faster. You could replace your rice with millets. Millets are rich in fibre and low on your Glycemic index. 8 glasses of water everyday is a must. Healthify me is a good app to monitor your calorie intake. You could take up a weight loss program as well using this app. This is a virtual platform where in you could choose a health instructor plus a dietician.

Hope this information helps!