1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Give Me Some Suggestions

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by meename, Jul 19, 2017.

1. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

I was working in india and then moved to usa as dependent . I had decided to leave job as i wanted to spend time with her . After i came to usa , i did not search job for next 2 years ( my dd was 1 year when i came here ) ...
    Right now i am searching job . Whoever calls me does not want to sponsor as there is no premium processing. I can work here if i get a sponsor ( no lottery in my case )
    Now the real problem is i am feeling v unhappy about my life . What makes me feel unhappy is i am feeling like a maid , cook .
    My hubby throws thrash , brings groceries till third floor , puts his shirts for laundry once i segregate n keep . Once in 3 months , he does vacuum once i remove all items .
    My work is full care of baby from brushing , giving bath , feeding , making her play , managing her at house , playing with her , managing baby potty times giving milk , taking her to park , cooking 4 times a day ( we dont eat cereals n my hubby wants evening tiffin), putting laundry , folding clothes, Putting baby things in her box , cleaning bathroom etc etc. Evening hubby comes at 6.30. Eats snacks that i prepare . Sleeps till 7.30. Goes for a walk and then eats dosa that i prepare. And then he sees mobil till 12 n then sleeps.
    Even after doing all the work , he complains full time . From my childhood , i ve been little absent minded. He uses that fully to complain . Say , in a month , four times i forgot to close bathroom tap fully . .
    Yesterday i had feverish feeling , slept til 6 . Make chapathi at 7 as he was v hungry . Night i made ven pongal sambar . Then he was shouting at me that his clothes are not washed n house is not clean .
    My god , i m tired of all the work . I want to run away somewhere .
    I feel like i m an unpaid maid .
    These many days , i told to myself i dont need approval from anyone n was neglecting all his complaints . But yesterday when he complained even when i was unwell , i lost it . With the feverish feeling i washed all vessels n cleaned things n slept .
    I used to ask him to feed baby once in a while . But he does it after i say 10 times . So now a days i m training my kid to eat by herself .
    Gals , i know even if i go job , i will be doing all these work myself plus a full time job .
    It is practically impossible to make him work . I dont want him to do house work too as i ve been pleading him to share housework n it never happened last 3 years .
    I am feeling frustrated since yesterday . I m feeling mad , like a worthless fellow who only does house hold chores but gets pinpointed for silly mistakes that i do
    ( dont think my hubby is a neat fellow . He throws pants , shirts , ear buds , tetra packs everywhere in house . But house should be super neat )

2. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

I feel like i am a single parent . My dd thingsin and out i should take care . If her hands needs to be washed , he ll send her to me to get it washed. If she has runny nose i ve to wipe it .
    Each n everything i shld do . But he never realizes it . I want to leave my kid alone with her dad for 20 days to make him see the reality . But it is not possible . My kid does not stay without me .

3. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

A correction to first time , in last 3 years , he had fed baby only a 15 times that too after i requested many times .
    In my friend 's i see husbands taking over children care after they come from office . But here he has never taken care

4. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

Hugs to you, OP
    Honestly, I firmly believe that my husband could be the same way as your husband if I didn't start working almost right away after having children (I have twins) and he wasn't forced to become a stay at home dad for more than a year. I made way more money than him as a surgeon in the US, so it made perfect sense. In his mind housework and taking care of children was easy, so he told me he would "rest" being at home with kids. Well, it took him less than a week to realize that he was oh so wrong and watching kids, keeping a house clean and cook dinner for his beloved working wife at the same time is very hard. I think if he didn't experience it himself, no amount of my words could explain it to him.
    If you keep doing everything yourself, you will become depressed and sick. In such a state you will be able to care for others. "Take care of yourself, you can't pour from an empty cup" - remember this
    Identify priorities. In my opinion your physical and mental well-being and a needs of your child are way more important than a comfort of an adult male, who has both hands in place. If you have no energy to cook or you are sick, tell your husband calmly that he is free to make whatever he wishes for dinner. Leave his clothes and stuff wherever he left them. If he complains about unclean house, suggest him to pick up his stuff and it will become clean again. Please don't yell, it would exhaust your emotional resources even more. Don't worry, he can take care of himself. If he yells, tell him that you won't speak to him if he is being disrespectful
    See if you can hire helpers. Maybe you can get a cleaning service or a nanny for couple hours a day, so you can rest.
    Good luck!

5. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for ur reply . I was feeling v down n wanted to vent out . Yes , as u said i ve explained him many times that doing household chores , cooking , baby stuff is not so easy . But he feels it easy as i had gone to india for 5 months n he cooked by himself . He seems to lack empathy . Does not even attempt to think about me .
    I do the same as u said . I dont pick his clothes . But still i am overwhelmed with work load .
    Hiring nanny or some help , he ll never do as it ll cost him money .
    I am ready to do the work too but wat i hate most is he complaining even after i do so much . I started hating him recently dor this .
    I am trying to limit my cooking time to only morning . Like finish off all work in morning n wash dishes .but again anyway i ve to make dosa , boil milk etc
    I feel like struck in a jail . No help , no way to avoid house work , only criticisms .
    So far i stopped caring about criticism . I used to tell him ' first u participate in house work . Then u can criticize '.
    Is there a way for my husband to understand my view without fighting. Best way ll be to leave baby with him for a weeek n go away. But cant do it

6. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

The more you think of it, the more you will be down. Develop some interests of your own, something that you can do without his involvement at all. Although it is difficult, it is not impossible. I wanted to do gardening yesterday. I dug some mud in the front yard and put a plant and hell broke loose. My kids wanted to do the same and they started fighting. DH started shouting about wasting water because the younger one insisted on water the other plants. That was it. End of all fun. I guess we women have to do some secret activity in isolation so that we are happy.

7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

OP, my sympathies are with you. If you cannot work , volunteer somewhere. You need time away for yourself . Most people don't cook four times a day, if husband cannot eat cereal it's his problem . You said he cooked when you were away, so what's stopping him now? Please don't put up with his whims and fancies, you are his wife and he better treat you like one .

Sunburst and Naari like this.
  8. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

OP, is your husband in the US on a short term assignment or a long term one? Did you move to the US immediately after getting married or after living in India for a few months or years? Did you stopworking immediately after marriage?

I am asking because if your husband is in the US for a short term assignment, I would suggest you to find a job India and move back with your daughter. If not, if you have any savings in India or apply for a student loan, I would suggest you to start studying. Or volunteer somewhere. You never know you might find sponsors through the contacts you make. More, after you reply to my questions.

sindmani and Naari like this.
  9. meename

meename Bronze IL'ite

It is long term .he shifted to a company here. I worked in india in it for more than 12 years .
    I cant study now . He wont allow too .
    He knows to cook to lots of items . But he never does a single work other than throwing thrash bags

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

OP, but now after change in law in Obama's time, Dependents can apply for H4 EAD, isn't it? Trump was going to pass an executive order to stop H4 EAD, but that is on hold right now, if my memory serves me correct.. try that.

Sandycandy and sindmani like this.