1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Give him space

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by kanaka Raghavan, Dec 13, 2011.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Your child is growing up,give him space and help him bond better with you.
    1.Knock to enter his room.Check occasionally to see what he is up to.
    If he wants to be alone let him be.He might want to watch a movie or talk to a friend.It is fine if it is not longer than an hour.
    2.Invite his friends over once in a while and let them play by themselves and enjoy.Keep a subtle eye on them,but not over bearing.
    3.when he is out with his friends,do not keep calling him,unless he crosses the dead line you have set for him.
    Let him have fun and check in only when you think it is getting late.
    4.Discuss his day at school,but stay off judgemental comments.Be friendly but firm.
    5.Set certain rules and guidelines and ask all to obey.
    6.Do not make him spend all his week ends at home,but persuade him to spend at least one day with the family,make it interesting.
    Do not always force him to tell you everything about his life.Instead tell him '' it is okay you do not want to talk about it now,but will be around when you want to have a chat''.This way he knows his mom is not meddling in his work.

1 person likes this.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Good one, Kanaka. If we give him/her respect, they will share their activities and feelings to us. I have seen parents calling them every hour or send message to them when they are in school too. We shouldn't control them. My cousin's wife used to control her daughter so much. She never went to a party or selected clothes for herself. Yes,, they live in USA. No freedom. This brilliant niece of mine got into famous college without any problems. She didn't know how to handle herself. The result is that she dropped out of college ( Parents found out later) and had emotional problems. Now she is fine. Kanaka, your advice is so good. Hope parents will get benefit form this.

I hope this goes to the daughters too.

1 person likes this.
  3. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Hi Kanaki
    Once again a nice useful post from you.Holds good for daughters too. Mine especially needs a lot of space.