1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Girls -- Oj's Witless Brevity 8

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ojaantrik, Jul 11, 2016.

1. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Hanoi. Inside a tourist bus hired by the university. I sat next to a student volunteer. Dressed in a pristine white uniform. Young and radiating health. She told me about her family. Her father was a doctor. Wasn’t he? Not sure. Could have been an engineer or an accountant. But certainly not a pilot or a restaurant owner. She suddenly turned towards me and asked, “Do you have grandchildren?” I must have been pretty old. But I grew even older with time. How old is she today? Forgot to ask her name. That nameless Vietnamese girl may still be in Hanoi. If you see an attractive girl there with a lovely smile, that’s she.

Hong Kong. I was walking down a long, steep stairway leading down the hill from my home to my office in the university. To my left stood the colossal shopping mall, Festival Walk. It began to rain and I prepared to get soaked. When a smallish young Chinese girl emerged out of the huge mall. She briskly approached me and offered shelter under her open umbrella. We chatted as we went towards our common destination. She was a young undergraduate student and spoke about the courses she was taking. Once inside the university building, she took leave and went her way. I never saw her again. I forgot to ask her name. She should not be more than thirty five now. If you come across her do tell her that I can’t get her out of my mind even though I don’t remember her face. I wonder where she lives now. Her kindness has remained stuck to me like the empty smile of eternity.

New York city. Afternoon. Avenue of the Americas. Pavement in front of Radio City Music Hall. I was walking aimlessly, when a young girl in a green dress rushed up and confronted me. She said, “I love you.” Her intonation was strange. I thought I heard her saying, “Love you?” I didn’t know her at all and stared at her dumbfounded for a moment. Then I tried to smile. I said, “You do?” “Yes,” she said and stood blocking my way, as though she was waiting for a response. Her eyes looked sad as she stared at me and her face wore an expression that I couldn’t decipher. The sadness in her eyes was too deep for her age and the manner of her voice was vaguely painful. I managed to skirt around her and briskly walk away. I had probably assumed her to be a drug addict, even though, on hindsight, she didn’t resemble one.

Like the other two, I never saw this girl again, but those sad eyes and the puzzling countenance continue to live and the enigmatic sentence she had uttered keeps ringing in my ears. Was she asserting or interrogating me about herself? I wish I had spent a few minutes with her and asked her name at least. Somewhere, now, she is a very old woman. She will not recognize me. It’s best to leave her alone.

Girls vanish.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    maggi32, iyerviji, Kamalji and 7 others like this.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Attractive/kind/sad - All Girls vanish but not the impression they leave behind. :thumbup:

3. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Sir,
    LOL.:lol:
    Well, people make an impression, mostly because of the act rather than their looks. You remember them for their acts, so you remember their faces. They have left an impression on you by their deeds, which you can still remember, but they possibly have moved on in their life. If it is just the girls attraction, you would never have remembered them at all.
    My interpretation!:facepalm:
    Thanks,
    Vaidehi

4. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Oj-da - it's fun or serious or serious fun?

Having seen your writing with my funny bones, let me continue with the same :)

In Hanoi she read your mind "questioning her dad's profession" and she slipped by.
    In Hong Kong am not sure if she changed her course, having talked to you.
    In NY you slipped from the closest encounter ever possible.

Girls always leave impression either in mind or on cheek and you are very lucky it was in your mind, cheeky you. :)

5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

IL World. She was young and silly. She seemed to like my works, left lovely responses and offered to be my granddaughter too. I knew nothing of her, what she looked like, her whereabouts but for her name, though not a real one. She was kaniths.

OJ

:wink::tongueclosed::tongueclosed:

6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good one, I will also follow you

ojaantrik and shyamala1234 like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

I met her virtually in IL family. Her writings brought me memories of Pashenka, so I call her Pashenka. In IL family we have become brother and sister .

P.S. OJ da did your wife read about the meetings with 3 different girls

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Awww.....

OJ-da, those are such beautiful, touching little stories - truly snippets of life. Who else can bring such beauty to day to day incidents?

Then, you inspire women very young and not so young to write such lovely pieces too. They in turn inspired me to write one more, then for fear of looking like a copy cat, I desisted. :-D

ojaantrik and iyerviji like this.
  9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Why say so? It could be like an internet meme thing! Still fun! :)
    Vijima!!! She is telling you!!!!!! :wink::tongueclosed:

ojaantrik, iyerviji and satchitananda like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Kaniths, now I would not be so dishonest and tell Vijima she is as young as you are. Yes, she might be as young as you at heart, but in experience and wisdom :)-P) ..... I have to give her credit, so yes, she is 'not so young'. I certainly did not say 'OLD'. So there!

ojaantrik, iyerviji and kaniths like this.