gifts to purchase?

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Dubai' started by mantha, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mantha

mantha New IL'ite

Hi Friends,:bonk I am always confused about buying gifts to friends back in india, as vaccation is coming , and you know how people go for shoping before going to India,

but always confused what to buy? any one please tell me, what to buy ?:idea

but i always feel why we have to carry allthe way from here when everything is available in India now,

why can't we stop this gift giving business, and same to be followed by our people also, so no head ache, no expectations also.

what do u say? friends.:hiya

2. simi001

simi001 Senior IL'ite

Hey Mantha

Firstly have to say you have started an intresting thread.
    At some point or the other I guess everyone must have experienced the same.
    Inititially when I used to go back home, I used to carry chocolates, perfumes, cosmetics, watches some electronic items.
    In the initial couple of visits I made it a point to carry gifts fr all my relatives and friends, But now I dont carry anything major.
    Rather I take them all shopping fr one day back home, or simply take them fr dinner treats...... this way all of them are happy :)

3. highwaystar

highwaystar Senior IL'ite

Hi Mantha,

Yuup most of them carry gifts back home.Ofcourse you get each and everything now a days in India.But still it is a happier moment when you carry stuffs from here.Its finally the brand and quality which matters.Secondly people back home are in the intention that the stuffs u have carried are finally from abroad.You can carry perfumes,deo's,watches (branded),lipsticks,chocolates,dates(which is very much found here) etc.
    I think these are some of it which can fill your bag.Enjoy shopping for your loved ones...

Cheers!!!
    Preeti.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  4. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi mantha,
    well ive really saved myself from all this since the begining. when me and DH went for our 1st vacation after marraige, only that time we took few thgs for our relatives. but all visits after that we made it clear from our actions that we are only gonna get thgs only for our parents and immediate family thats it. so now we shop only for our parents. no aunts no uncles...no one. and if any1 does expect smthg then we buy it from there and give. also we have made it very clear to everyone that we r going there not to get gifts for every1 when v return. we are imp to you all or the gifts.....if gifts then we will do one thg we will not come instead we will courier your gifts that way may be then all will be happy. then their reply was that gifts doesnt matter you both along with children mean alot to us. actually my inlaws as well as my mom's place, its a big big family. we will get bankrupt if we go to buy for each and everyone. and also our relatives dont get satisfied by what we buy. they compare with each other gifts and then say "arrey mujhe yeh diya....aapko woh diya" :rantthen inspite of giving we still cant make any1 really happy. so we totally stopped tkg anythg for any1.

you might be thinking how cruel i am ....but dear its better coz that way atleast no one talks behind your back then, inspite of taking gifts from you.

5. babita_sn

babita_sn Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mantha,

Taking out for dinner or buying gifts from India itself seems nice idea rather taking gifts and hearing comments.............

Regards
    Babita

6. coolgirl24

coolgirl24 Senior IL'ite

hii friends,:hiya

its a nice thread to start with, i am also often in dilemma as to what gifts shd we buy for family back home....

i usually end up buying lot of chocolates for my niece and nephews, i think chocolates & dry fruits are smething we can give to our friends and relatives also when v go to visit them !!

I used to buy chocolates, tops, t-shirts for kids, perfumes, handbags, purse, watches for ladies, and shirts, t-shirts, watches for men etc !!!

regards
    vidya

7. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

Mantha,

It was very nice of oyu to bring this topic, especially now since many are planning their vacations.

Earlier, when we used to go for our vacations, dad would purchase for each & every member of his large family & my mom's small family. In fact we would leave some of our stuffs to accomodate their "gifts", in order to get into the baggage permitted slot (I am talking about some 18-20 years back). People take them.... for taking it. They never appreciate the fact that someone took the time out to get this for them... They think it was our duty. Initally when I was small, this things didn't matter & sometimes even I joined my dad in choosing things for people. But now.... I get totally :rant.

Like Zeenat said, it's better to take for your immediate family - your parents & siblings, your in-laws. It's fine. But for uncle/aunts/cousins... please don't make it a habit. If it's the first time you are going, you can afford to do so... but the next time you go, better take some chocolates instead... If you forget to give it to them, you can always indulge in them yourself :rotfl

That's what we do... take chocholates... give each family one pack. & mostly take some "stuff" for the younger members - applicable only to ages 18 & below.:)

Happy shoppping..... :thumbsup

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  8. mantha

mantha New IL'ite

Hai Friends thank you so much, for your concern, what you all said is 100% corect, everytime when i go for vaccation this gifts buying is becoming one big issue,

as you all know, everything should fit in the budget and everyone should be happy and uppersee " brand " hona chayee yee, my god,:bonk

that we have to think about there age and likings and dislikings too, ya like u all said chocolates, dates and some perfumes will do,

anyhow let me think more and see how good i am in buying gifts, and ofcourse i will let u know also. :idea
    thank you evrybody, but any good and new idea is welcome.
    cheers

9. bindhusubi

bindhusubi Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

It's an interesting thread. Some people like giving gifts and some not..

Normally i carry chocolates, perfumes, dates, tshirts, branded watches, handbags, wallets, etc.

Yea, but its only for the dear and near ones. I carry all these for the happiness and affection in return.

It's an expensive affair, but i love it.

10. jezz_nish

jezz_nish Senior IL'ite

hi
    its an intersting topic

i simply dont carry gifts for every tom,dick n harry.
    we buy nice gifts only for our parents,own siblings n very special friends n family may b just 2-3.who make us also feel special.
    we carry huge quantity of chocolates,n when ve go visiting to all the realtives house we put in a small gift bag n give it 2 them .

i make sure i carry something for the maids n drivers,coz they really cant afford much and also they work sincerly for us.

jess