Getting The Spices Into Baby Potatoes?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Rihana, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

potatoes.jpeg
    Using baby potatoes to make Bombay Potatoes. The potatoes are about 1 to 1.25 inch in diameter. Following this recipe: Spicy Bombay Potatoes - Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

It comes out quite good, the potatoes are well boiled but hold their shape, the spices taste good. But, the inside of the potato tastes only boiled bland. I tried cutting them in half each. Also, small slits at the back of each. No luck.

Is there a way to get the taste of spices into the potato so it doesn't just stick to the outside of the potato?

Better half says to cut the potatoes smaller like for aalu-methi. : ) But, that that would beat the purpose. I want to keep the baby potatoes whole or at the most cut into half.

I've tried both yellow and red baby potatoes.

Sreevidyaa and Thyagarajan like this.

2. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Hello,
    I usually fork in the potatoes at 3-4 spots and then use it for boiling(with salt and chilli powder)/cooking. Sometimes it takes in the flavour and sometimes it’s just too adamant. Try it next time and let us know how flexible are your potatoes :)

3. Dobby

Dobby Silver IL'ite

I boil, peel away the skin then prick with fork in two or three places then add oil spices toss it and microwave for few minutes. Then tadka. Microwaving helps in roasting and pricking and tossing helps in getting spices inside

in gravies you can prick and add boiled potatoes. Mostly spices get into it.

cheers

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Happy New Year.

Mouth watering as I read all these made me nostalgic for my erstwhile Bombay Day’s.
    A nice question. How to get the spices to penetrate into the baby aloo without losing its shape in single pot cooking.
    After wash, pierce with ss wire at random places on the surface and leave it in pot - when it gets cooked in pot, the steam will carry spices through it and deposit into the holes.
    Thanks and Regards.

God has given humans tongue and palate for dum aloo!

Rihana and Sinant like this.
  5. Sreevidyaa

Sreevidyaa Silver IL'ite

I have tried it with small potatoes. I have no luck. Since I cooked with salt, the salt is inside. But the outer masala doesn’t seep through. Since I don’t like to make it mushy I left like that but my kids didn’t like it. So in the end decided to continue whatever my kids like.

Thyagarajan, Rihana and Sinant like this.
  6. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Feeling nostalgic, during my teens I used to make Dum aloo with baby potatoes. Peeled baby potatoes were boiled,pierced with a fork,deep fried and added to the simmering gravy.The potatoes nicely absorbed the flavor. You would probably need to add in a bit of water (for the masala to seep into the forked Potatoes) and sauté till dry.

I tried this recipe and came out really well.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.