1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Rid Of Egoism

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jan 26, 2020.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Getting Rid of Egoism
    Getting rid of worldly possessions was easy, but egoism...?

Retirement:

I retired at the age of 62 after putting in some 40 years of work in 2003. I could have continued for some more years mainly because I had no health issues and secondly because the management wanted me to. The CMD commented seems you have saved enough to last rest of your life and I said the definition of enough varies from person to person and I think I will be okay. I had the full support of my family. On hind-side, I think I could not have seen so many places in India and outside after retirement if I had continued in my job. We have visited most of the religious places and tourist spots within the country and spent over 1-1/2 years with our daughter and grandchildren in the USA not forgetting one month every winter with our other daughter in Mumbai.

Vehicle:

In the very first year of retirement, I realized that the vehicle was no more needed. Most of the time we were not in town. The driver was needed because I had stopped driving long back. Our outings in Delhi were once in a week at the most. So I decided to dispose of the car we had. The driver was kind enough to understand. Now either we take to the metro which is close to our residence and very convenient, comfortable and fast. Taxis are at call whenever we need it.

Books:

I had some 500 books on management, fiction, religion. I asked my daughters to pick up whatever they liked and some were taken by them. Some were picked by relatives and rest were handed over to a group who needed books for the library they were building in the village. The rest were handed over to the scrap dealer. I kept only those I may read again. Some have been added since then but that is okay. My book rack is almost empty now.

Others:

The same happened with watches and clocks, clothes and other possessions like HMV record player, LP records, Audio and Videocassettes, CDs, VCDs, DVDs. Some to the lovers of old things and some went to the scrap dealers.

EGO:

This is the one I am stuck with. Much I may try to find a taker, there is no one in sight. As far as possible I tried to find out suitable takers but could find none. Each one of them I approached, have more than enough of their own. I think I am not making sincere efforts. My ego has been with me ever since I came of age. It traveled with me like my shadow. I did try to leave it behind but it always won the battle of wits between us. I took expert help but it continued convincing me that these experts have problems of their own. Books did not help. Starving, fasting, temple cruising-nothing helped. Ultimately I tried to pass it on but that too has not succeeded so far.

Any takers?????

Thyagarajan and KashmirFlower like this.

2. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thyagarajan and HariLakhera like this.
  3. HariLakhera

Thanks for your feedback.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hari Sir,

"Thalai Ganam Illadha Thalai Illai" - roughly translated to "there is no head without ego". Even one wants to give it away, it is difficult for the person who possessed it to find it out. It is hiding between our constant desire to learn new things and our ability to articulate what we already know. It is hiding between our intellectual capabilities and emotional outbursts. It is malignant and grows beyond the size of the normal tumor as long as we live. Because there is no human takers, we can only give it away to the Creator. He is like an old newspaper guy who takes what human beings find no longer useful.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Whatever acquired can be given away but what has born with men can never be wished away. It would go hand in hand with him till eternity.
    A nice take on ego egotism.
    Thanks and Regards.

HariLakhera likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

Dear Viswa,
    Ego per se is not bad. Had it been so, the Creator would not have included it in our nature. But then, like all other gifts He gave us, we misused this also. From Ahma it turned into Ahamkar.
    The Old News Paper guy is smart enough and therefore has made arrangements for its cremation or burial with the body.

Viswamitra likes this.