Gestational diabetes...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by swarnamary, Feb 14, 2012.

1. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

hi everyone,
    i am into my 9th month now. due date is exactly one month from today, i been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, i was careful from the beginning but as the time goes on i am craving for some of the things and i do eat very little thou, my doctor put me on insulin, i am following diet and taking my insulin but she told me that my sugar suppose to be 120 after meals, i am trying so much to get into that range and not eating properly i dont know how to do it, try to maintain sugar levels or starve if i eat more i wont be able to maintain sugar levels as i am working right now too wont be able to walk much as i am suppose to... has any one been going thru this kind of problems???? i sometimes gets so tired of poking myself to check sugar and taking insulin i know its all for the good of the baby but still u know at times thats how i feel, now my real concern is what are the chances that baby can be diabetes tooo i am really so worriedddddddddddd abt this and that is why i am trying to control my sugar most of the time...
    Please pass me your advices/suggestions what all you can so i can feel myself little better.. thanks alot have a good one..

2. HuggleBuggle

HuggleBuggle Bronze IL'ite

You don't have to starve, but take good food. I heard for DB, people should take more protein than carbs. Start your day with 2 egg whites & milk. Even if you are in the office instead of fruits, take vegetables & some milk with dates(or it's paste) instead of sugar . Almost every woman with GDB delivered healthy baby. I never heard baby having DB, but I read somewhere about a poster saying that her baby was not able to produce insulin on his own for sometime(day or two), because while he is in the womb mother itself produced insulin for both. Other than this woman I never read discussions on this matter on the forums, so it's very rare I think. Please don't worry! Your doctor will always be there to help you & clear your doubts.
    If my words worried you more, please ignore them. I am in the initial stages of pregnancy, so I don't know much about GDB. Other ilites will help you.

3. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi swarnamary

I have been in your situation especially in the ninth month the sugar level runs erattic .don't worry .Try to maintain the levels .Do 15 mins walk after every meal esp dinner if you can .Don't worry about the baby the babay will not have diabetes .If your sugar levels are not controlled your baby's body will be making more insulin to tackle the extra sugar and at the time of labor when your baby is trying to seperate from your placenta its sugar levels will drop suddenly as he/she has been prioducing extra insulin and it could lead to breathing troubles for your baby inside the womb . so when you go on labor they monitor the baby's HB very closely ..But don't worry try to the best you can .Avoid fruits and fruit juices .In mycase i was able to control it pretty much upto 37 weeks and after wards it was very eratic and i was suppose to start my insulin the next day and my baby decided to arrive the previous day itself but he was just fine and no problems so don't worry

4. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

hi swarnamary...

wow.. just a month left for the baby to get here. must be exciting.

i am soryy about your GD; but the good news is that it can surely be got in control.

Since i have PCOD, from the time i got preg- i am scared that i will develop GD and have been following a strict diet. A friend of mine (a nutritionist by professions) had provided me with a chart for ladies with GD. I was following it religiosly until last month when i found my sugar levels are okay and i gave into my cravings.

I will post the chart she had provided me; my friend has worked with Apollo Hospital (in Bangalore) and seems she has dealt with many ladies with GD-

Now Coming to the diet.........

You have to follow a Low Calorie, High Fiber, High Protein and Low Fat diet. Never skip your meals, eat small meals and often, Do not stop eating if you are experiencing nausea. A general idea about your diet...

At the end of the day what you eat should be similar to the amount you normally eat, as you shouldn't try gaining too much weight as it can effect during the delivery time. Most of your vitamins and minerals requirement remains the same except Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium increases.

Foods to be avoided:

Refined cereals - like maida, white bread, white rice,etc

Roots and tubers - (Sweet potato, colocasia and yam)
    Sugar, honey, jaggery

Mangoes, grapes, sapota, custard apple, big banana, jack fruit
    Full cream milk, cheese, curd

Butter, ghee, vanaspati, deep fried savouries
    Red meat, organ meat, prawns, crabs

Dry fruits
    Food Groups:

Whole Cereals and Grains - 200g (Equallent to 8 chappathis a day)

Whole Grams - 75g (Equallent to 3-4 cups of cooked dhal/sprouts/channa a day)

Vegetables - 3-5 servings

Fruits - 1 serving a day

Milk - 3-4 servings (Skimmed or double tonned)

Fat - 3-4tsp (500ml/month/person)

Sugar and sugar products -Nil

Try avoiding coconut or ground nut usage. While making chutney use pudina, onion, tomato or any bhuttani kadala.

Menu Plan:

Early-morning:

Tea/ Coffee/ Milk (Skimmed) + Whole meal biscuits/ Marie/ Crackers/ Digestive - 2pieces

Breakfast:

Idli/ Dosa/ Ragi dosa/ Rava dosa/ Rava idli+ Sambar or chutney

Or

Chappathi + Vegetable Kurma/ Soya chunk curry/ Thin dhal/ Egg curry

Or

Vegetable Upma/ Wheat upma/ Wheat puttu/ Ragi puttu/ Vegetable puttu/ Chemba puttu/ Oats puttu/ Poha

Or

Whole wheat/ Multigrain/ Brown bread sandwhich (Can include different vegetables like cucumber,tomato,thin slices of boiled potato, egg white. Can use pudina chutney as a sandwhich spread instead of mayonnaise. Paneer and cheese if made out of low fat or skimmed milk.)

Or

Oats/ Wheat flakes/ Musseli/ Cornflakes/ All bran flakes + Skimmed milk (150 ml)

(Can have a small cup of tea, coffee or milk if u wish to)

Mid-morning:

Buttermilk/ Milk/ Fruit/ Sprouted pulses

(Sprouted salad can be made out of green gram/black or white chick pea sprouted if possible as it would be reach in proteins seaoned with onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, etc with a litlle of lemon juice to give flavour or chart masala)

Lunch:

Chappathi/ Khboose(brown) + Dal with greens preferably/ Vegetable Curries/ Grilled or Non-veg curry + Salad/ Raitha + Curd (Skimmed, optional)

Or

Rice + Sambar/Dal/Puliserry + Vegetable thorran + Salad + Non-veg curry + Buttermilk/Curd(Skimmed, optional)

(Brown rice or diabetic rice is the only option that you can take. Try avoiding rice maximum as you can. The main idea of avoiding rice is to reduce the quantity you eat. So keep a count over the quantity you take. Non-veg can be twice/thrice a week lean meat (Chicken/fish)).

Evening snack:

Tea/ Coffee/ Milk (Skimmed) + Biscuits as mentioned above/ Flavored Yogurt/ Sprouts/ Brown bread sandwich (with filling of Veg/Non-veg/Cheese/Nut butter)/ 5pieces almonds or walnuts/ Cut fruits/ Soups

Dinner:

Chappathi/Stuffed parathas without oil on tava + Vegeatble curry/ Pulses curry -Rajma,peas,channa masala,etc + Salads/ Raitha

Or

Wheat based pasta/noodles with plenty of vegetables and poached/ boiled chicken pieces (optional)

Or

Khboose + Hamouse+ Grilled chicken + Salad

Or

Any choices of breakfast food + Salads

Bed-time (Optional):

Milk/ Buttermilk

Points to remember:

Avoid all deep fries, pastires and sweets

Fruits that can be included are Oranges,Pineapple, Papaya, Apple, Pomegranate, Sweet lime, Guava, Pear, Peach, Berries and Water melons. Remember fruits should be included only once per day.

The oil consumption should not cross 1.5 litres a month. Try to use different oils while cooking a meal or change your oil that you consume every month.

Non-veg intake should be maximum 3 times a week. Its fine to have egg whites on a daily bases (2 egg whites a day)
    Include as much as green-leafy vegetables, yellow and orange vegetables as possible and fiber rich vegetables.

Use only skimmed milk and curd. Anything having less than or equal to 1% fat.
    Avoid all carbonated beverages and fruit juices.

Avoid the intake of caffeine. You instead can have decaffeinated tea, coffee or fruit tea. As caffeine can inherit the absorption of iron which is needed for the development of your baby. ( Less than 4 cups a day, Caffeine<300mg/day)

Consume atleast 2litres of water everyday.
    A gap of 2 hours after dinner is required before hitting the bed.

Cultivate the habit of having food in smaller intervals and in small quantity, like after every 3 hours.
    Avoid any sort of stress as it can effect you and your body.

Avoid often consumption of vegeatbles like carrot,beet root and potatoes.
    Food Substitutes:

1 chappathi (25gm Flour) = 1/2 cup of cooked rice/ Upma/ Avalakki/ Poha/ 2pcs of Dhokla/1 idli/ 2 marie biscuits/1 slice of bread

Egg white 1 = 1 medium cup milk

1 cup cooked Dal = 5 Tsp Roasted Channa (25gm)

1 cup = 150 ml of beverage

So the consumption of your food shouldnt cross the mentioned quantity above in food groups.

Some choices of curries:

Ladies finger curry, Brinjal curry, Cauliflower and peas, Mixed vegeatble curries, Mushroom kurma, Lentil and spinach, Green peas masala,Tomato curry, Avial, Pachadi, Vegetable kootu, Spinach kootu, etc

i hope this helps and you will be just fine. its just a matter of another month... all the best

5. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

hi everyone, thanks alot for your replies... sitharaj,lochu,hugglebuggle....
    i am almost following the healthy diet so far as the time is coming near i am craving for more junk food that is the problem.. i dont know if anyone of you know andhra's sweet snack aarisalu i am craving for that...:bonkesp the one with ghee, what to do...

Other than that most of the time i am following good diet but i wonder why they want to limit use of carrots becoz i do eat them whenever i get a chance... do anyone of you know the reason?? if so let me know..

i use to eat all the fruits till my 6th month but after that i stop eating if i eat two peice of apple i feel like my sugar is high i dont know if its just my imagination but as far as i know most fruits doesnt increase sugar levels as they are the natural sugars....anyways i stop eating all the fruits:cry:..thanks alot all three for your quick and helpful replies..

6. HuggleBuggle

HuggleBuggle Bronze IL'ite

Hi Swarnamary,
    Where did you get arisalu? So tempting after reading your post. But when I try to eat any sweet, I feel like it's too sweet, even the grapes, salad ranch.
    If you have them at home ask your DH to make you believe that they are no more left in the house or give it to some one.
    And also I heard that if you eat sugar after having full meal it won't get into the body as how the empty stomach do. Don't know whether it's true or not.
    Just one more month left for you to be patient. Just 30 days. The thing is you cannot eat spicy food while breast feeding & you cannot eat sweets before delivery. So mean while enjoy pickles/spicy food.

7. swarnamary

swarnamary Gold IL'ite

hi,
    i got arisalu from india, my in laws mailed me some... i usually do eat if after the meals.. its finish anyways :cry::cry: i am scheduled for my c-section on march 5th.. so almost 3 more weeks to go.. hopefully i will be fine by then... i dont eat that much spicy foood...... ok then keeep in touch bye...

8. pihoousa

pihoousa Senior IL'ite

i had gd and my doc induced me the day i completed 38 weeks coz it can cost your child
    trust me this diabetes is very serious people take it easy but my uncle is obgyn
    and he has seen fetal deaths in 39weeks so tell ur -doc to deliver u early...
    dont dont dont even wait till 40 weeks...